Satmex 5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

enrique7200

Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
CALIFORNIA/ 92704
Hi...i have a question if any one would be able to help. I am trying to get Satmex5 i have a Sonicview Premier and a 36" dish with a Focus LNB 10750 Linear that has 0.3dB. But i am only getting 60% signal no matter how much i try pointing it to a different place i seems to not get more than that.....Do you guys think i need a more powerful LNB? I live in the 92704 in US California.

Its transporter FREQ12086 SYMB 1954 POL H FEC 3/4
OH and in signal quality i get 60. and in signal strength i get 98...

Did you try adjusting the LNB Skew
Try:
12024 H 3000

But if the Channel plays fine, you are probably fine.

Quality levels often vary greatly between transponders. As stated above, if you're getting a lock, you're probably good to go.

yes, one should use one of the 30000 SR transponders on the bird to get locks and peak up, then tuning such a narrow carrier should be easier to do when one is peaked up on the bird right.

Hi...i have a question if any one would be able to help. I am trying to get Satmex5 i have a Sonicview Premier and a 36" dish with a Focus LNB 10750 Linear that has 0.3dB. But i am only getting 60% signal no matter how much i try pointing it to a different place i seems to not get more than that.....Do you guys think i need a more powerful LNB? I live in the 92704 in US California.

Enrique,

You live in a very good location for this satellite. It is "THE HOT SPOT" for the signal from this bird. Most of California is.

Your dish size is just right for your location and I cannot see anything wrong with the LNBF that you are using.

I also have a Sonic View 360 Premier receiver and I will have to say that I am not very thrilled with its reception capabilities, but I don't think the receiver is your problem. The signal from 116.8W should be booming in for you on the following TPs:

12.024 H S/R 3000, 12.028 H S/R 3255, 12.059 V S/R 3078 and 12.193 V S/R 4096.

Enrique, are you familiar with how to read EIRP maps? Are you familiar with Lyngsat and how to navigate their website?

If you have not played with it ever before, I suggest that you do in the near future. There is a lot of good stuff there and they can also show you maps of the signal strength for your area (sometimes).

I won't go into all that just know, it takes a lot of time to explain it and if you already understand it, I don't want to type everything out as a redundancy lecture in the use of Lyngsat (or SatCoDX for that matter). It would take a lot of time.

But, to be brief, you can look up the satellite, such as SatMex 5 and determine the signal strength that certain TPs provide to your area and see what size of dish you require to receive them.

In your case, you are in an excellent location! That is why I stated that the signal should be booming in for you with the size fo dish that you have.

I don't believe that there is anything wrong with your equipment, other than the quality of the Sonic View Receiver (I think it lacks a little mustard, but not that much!)

What I think is that you have some alignment problem. Either your dish is not aligned properly in the azimuth direction (east to west) or it is aimed too high or too low or the LNBF polarity adjustment is not set perfectly or a combination of all of these.

Have someone monitor your signal quality and signal level while you stand behind the dish and grasp the dish top and bottom, or right and left side and gently (very gently) try to flex the dish to the right, upwards, to the left and downwards and have them shout at you when the signal increases or decreases dramatically.

Also, use an angle calculator like FreeHostia to determine what the LNBF polarity adjustment should be and monitor the signal while you turn the LNBF in its mount (CW or CCW) and set it where you obtain the optimum signal quality.

If you can determine a direction that highly improves the signal, loosen your mounting bolts for that axis and move the dish in that direction to peak the signal.

Try using the TPs that I listed above to perform these tests. They are the FREE channels (TPs) on Ku band from 116.8W that you probably desire, so work towards getting them to peak out.

And don't forget to doublecheck your menu settings to ensure that they are properly matched to the LNBF that you are using.

One other thing to remember with an offset Ku band dish... The larger the dish, the tighter the focal point will be, so make very fine and slow adjustments to your dish. Since the beam is focused tighter and more finely (like a LASER beam as opposed to a shotgun pattern) you need to be more critical with the alignment of the dish, if you move too fast or too far, you might pass over the strongest signal before the receiver has a chance to detect it.

I hope that this information proves useful to you! Good luck and if it doesn't work out, post back and let everyone know and someone will come up with some new ideas to try.

If it works and you get your signal blasting in, let us know that too! And don't forget to state what you had to do or what you found wrong, because your fellow members and hobbyists can benefit from your experience and transfer the knowledge on in the future.

Good luck, Enrique!

RADAR

Satmex5 is a crazy sat as the farther north you go the harder it is to pick up anything

The dropoff is pretty intense near Iowa/SD/Montana etc

Being in California he shouldnt have any issues.....if the channel is there

Satmex5 is a crazy sat as the farther north you go the harder it is to pick up anything

The dropoff is pretty intense near Iowa/SD/Montana etc

Being in California he shouldnt have any issues.....if the channel is there

Iceberg,

Yeah, I don't think Enrique should be having any problems with signal where he is located, it should be strong. At least I would expect it to be strong. He's in the hot signal area for it anyway.

Radar

Here in New Mexico, I can get this bird very well on most of the stations execpt for TELEUISA TIJUANA Freqs, 12086 GHz 1.954 MBs H.

Sometime, it's hit or miss on TELEUISA TIJUANA station I am wondering this might be a spot beam?

It may just be something to do with the Sonicview as Radar said. I know on my Sonicview 8000 the signal meter is odd. For instance on AMC 4, most of the transponders come in around 40-50%, but 3ABN on 11822 comes booming in at 99%. Anything circular always comes in at 100%. In fact, most linear channels only come in at about 45-50% on my SV.

Keep in mind that even while the SV is giving me a good quality reading, the picture is rock solid with no breakup. Even on RTN the SV claims I only have 25% quality, yet the picture never breaks up so I know I'm not getting the whole story.

I've spent hours tring to tweak my dish/motor setup, and finally came to the conclusion that since I'm getting the same quality on everything across the arch, and nothing is breaking up, it's best just to leave it alone. I guess I need to get my hands on another FTA receiver and see what kind of signal I get from it compared to the SV.

I'll swing over to SatMex 5 and see what kind of readings I get on it as well.

Edit:

I got my dish motored over to SatMex 5. I was able to get a lock on the data TP listed as a strong transponder. Highest signal quality I could get was 45%. I got BYU, but only with about 20% quality. I could not get the transponder the original poster mentioned at all. However I have a large cedar tree in the vincinity of that particular satellite, and I have a feeling that it may be blocking the signal for this sat. I've been trying to scout for a better dish location...way too many trees in my yard. :(

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)