Satpros DSR500 - self-help support

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's the last menu item .. parent control or something like that.. (I'm not at home) .. where you can turn off passwords for everything except that menu..

pass word & null modem cable

I was in that menu, and turned off password control for everything listed.
Still, I have to put in the pass when I go there.
Maybe I'm confusing that lesser level of annoyance with earlier firmware.
I tried quite a few.

But you're right - in the end, I mostly forgot to be annoyed.
So, was that because I stopped going to the Parental Control menu, or did everything pretty much work?
I'll have to admit to brain overload, the last few days.

Had a hassle with the Null Modem cable, too.
It's been so many years since I used one, I could not find one anywhere (at home).
Well, certainly not with the more modern DB9's :rolleyes:

Finally, I looked up the proper wiring on the internet, and took a road trip to one of the remaining local electronics stores.
40¢ ea for DB9's and 42¢ ea for plastic shells - beat that, Radio Shack !

When it's actually hooked up right, that upload program is quite informative.
Think it takes about 2 minutes for the transfer, and another minute to actually program the flash rom in the receiver.
Even beeps when it's done.

firmware upload tool

edit:
the non-hack firmware copy that was in this thread with the loader, has been removed by management.

skip down a couple of posts for a better answer.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it, but it just had the bin file in there...

Are all the files that people were saying sped up the channel change illegal? If so, nevermind.

Well, I was thinking I was using the wrong program, but now I wonder if my box is not talking. That was the loader I was trying last night. I better try a different cable.

thanks!

Maybe I missed it, but it just had the bin file in there...

Are all the files that people were saying sped up the channel change illegal? If so, nevermind.

yeah pretty much anything bin newer than the one that came with the box is a bad bin that allows lots of no-no stuff.. it also shows me dish needs to move to mpeg4 or a new encryption to kill some if not all of this stuff..

Where do you guys find this stuff? I would like to play with the Satpro, but I don't want to harm the receiver or become illegal. Up to this point I have not done anything to it.

I have found some files but the issues I have are: 1) I am sure they contain some naughty stuff and 2) they sound too confusing to me. SO, as I havesaid before, and now for the last time I am going to leave well enough alone :) It is too hard to determine what is good and what is not :)

If you want an upgrade that doesn't contain naughty stuff, grab the file I posted described as the "Tristar 500" firmware. It contains a MUCH newer version of the firmware than our factory 2005 one, and is supposedly "official." It didn't do anything evil here; others will have to test if it changes channels any quicker (what am I going to do, stopwatch the transition between audio channels? :p ), but it's got to be better in some ways- 2005 firmware vs 2007...

Once you find the official release site for the Satpros firmware, you'll notice there are a January, February, and March release.
The one that was posted above and removed, the one with the loader, was the January version, if I'm not mistaken.
It is totally not interesting to any hacker - it has been rendered useless by time.
So, regardless of managements decision to remove it from this forum (which I understand and cannot argue with), that one is pretty recent so far as other updates, and totally benign.

This stuff is very time sensitive, and just a few months after release, it's no longer hack-useful.

So, enough with this talk.
Let's get back to finding and fixing bugs, discovering what the manual should have told us, and other such fun things.
I'm looking forward to watching new FTA satellites that I've only read about. :cool:

edit:
Oh, what CharredPC said above, is probably even better advice.
I will try to get around to loading that version when I recover from my previous round of upload and experiment. :)

Thanks guys! I might get brave :) Gotta find a cable. In the metro area I live in (pop 130k), there are NO null modem cables. So, will have to order one. All of my computers are USB now, so will have to find something that works.

Thanks guys! I might get brave :) Gotta find a cable. In the metro area I live in (pop 130k), there are NO null modem cables. So, will have to order one. All of my computers are USB now, so will have to find something that works.

I was lucky and had one around, but you can still get them locally. What you need to look for is this: http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?itemId=25132963
It's an old-school parallel / serial null modem data transfer cable; I remember using one to share dial-up internet and transfer files on my Win95 boxes :rolleyes: They still have some of these at some local Staples or other office supply stores, or much cheaper online. Even most new computers still have the serial port, which is what you need. I have seen a USB -> Serial cable, but I'm betting the upload software doesn't recognize it.

Thanks! The only I found from Radio Shack was a web only, and I checked all my Staples, Office Depots, etc. No luck. I even called some shops where they make computers and such and no luck. I guess I need to just order it online :)

333 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)