Satpros DSR500 - self-help support

Status
Please reply by conversation.
well I got mine (and some other stuff I ordered) :)

I hooked it up to the extra line from the T90 so we have 8 LNB's set up

First thoughts (I played with it while dinner was cooking)
-The interface is interesting but I figured out once you go into "scan" you can go from there. You can move to set the different LNB's/satellites up by pressing a button
-Meter seems to be a little more "legit" than other receivers
-changing TP info is easy to do along with deleting TP's
-when you do a scan, it does a NIT (network) scan. This helped with IA5 (G25) as some of the Globecast TP's have changed. This figures it out :)

Bad things
-I HATE the volume thing. I wish there was a way to set it for all channels (max)
-If you have a standard LNB, the default LO is 11250 (????) so you have to set it to 10750 as you go along

Other notes..
-I did see it does have an option for "uncomitted" switches so maybe this will work with the 8x1 diseqc switch :)
-Picture on screen does look pretty clean

That volume control is annoying. I went in andrenamed some channels and put them in order to correspond to how I have Titan TV lined up. Looking good though!

Got them yesterday. At first, I had problems with the LNB setup. Read Iceberg's post and fixed it right away. The strage thing was I used Universal 9750-10750 for T5, and it worked. Did not work for AMC4. Changed both of the LNB setting to Standard 10750. Thanks Iceberg.

Played around with them for 3 hours, so I am very familiar with them now. I don't have motor, so I don't try the Motor setup.

Nice picture and worth the money. Hope I will get 2 more if available.

Last edited:
The channel editor deal is a little weird. It lists all the TP's in one list and you have to cross reference the SAT number with the TP. I'm trying to modify my list to the SATS that I can see and add the TP's I need.

Try using Channel-Master to setup the lists, then export in Orasat format. Open the saved file with the 2006 editor and download to the receiver.

Last edited:
Bad things
-I HATE the volume thing. I wish there was a way to set it for all channels (max)

So, what's the scoop with this volume thing.. Do you need to adjust the volume every time you change the channel, or what..

Yeah, received mine early yesterday afternoon.. Ain't even opened the box yet..

the volume on each channel defaults ot mid volume (if a 100 scale, its at 50). Once you set it for each channel, it stays unless you change it again but each channel needs to be changed

Well I installed 4.140 and can attest to the following:

It's muuuuch faster on changing channels..
Scanning is WAYY faster (don't think it's blind scanning though)
It maps channel numbers correctly now..
Scans channels in the background when the box is off..
Automatically has the time right now :)
Adds DISH PRO to the LNB types..
Scambled channels are still scrambled (it just moved the message to the top right hand corner)

Overall I'm very impressed with the software, doesn't seem to add illegal options..

I found a copy and downloaded the software. When I click on menu there is no writing...its just a screen but no list.

Last edited:
Of course.. definitely remove it if you find anything funky, but I haven't yet.. I love the channel mapping..

I also included the upload utility, that one took me a bit to find..

Channel mapping? Please explain... not sure if I want to risk my box on an upgrade.

From what I've read, the "latest version" is 4142. I haven't used it because that would add illegal functionality. I guess we can just keep getting the previous "non-working" versions to get our updates? :D

Try using Channel-Master to setup the lists, then export in Orasat format. Open the saved file with the 2006 editor and download to the receiver.

I finally got around to trying this. I did a few blind scans on the Fortec Lifetime Ultra. Dumped the list with Channel-Master from the Fortec. Exported it to Orasat format. Loaded it into SatEdit2006. No errors! Loaded it into the SatPros. Boom! I had my channels, satellites, and transponders!

Digi....I loaded the software above

As Vince noted, it doesnt get anything it shouldn't. I verified it...it shows "scrambled"

The channel mapping sucks though

options are
All
Dish
Bell
Other

Obviously we know what 2 of them are for but other keeps it as is (channel 1,2,3,4 etc). If you use All it labels them funky

I had G10 as the original and the 1st TP was channels 1-16. If I use "All" it says 4001 to 4016

I went back to the factory software (the original)

A clone by any name . . .

Trying to uncover what serial cable I needed to upload firmware.
Answer: null modem cable

Found also another clone: TriStar 500 Pro
Sells for $349, marked down from $449
Also claims blind scan - not a chance (but I'll verify it any way). :rolleyes:
The Tristar bins work fine in the Satpros.

The channel mapping sucks though

I don't have any other sat's connected except my dish ones.. (though I order my Toroidal so that'll change soon..), looking at those channels were cool, but I can see how mapping something other than dish or bell would come out odd..

My shipment arrived yesterday. I had cancelled the order, but when the Fedex guy was standing at the steps with a box that I knew had FTA receivers in it, I could't turn him away. I accepted the shipment and let the SatelliteAV guys know that I was keeping the shipment and to charge it to my credit card :)

Last night I was trying to get the receiver to control my Stab HH90 motor, and it didn't seem to be working. I was in the basement and really wasn't able to tell if the dish was moving. I'll have to bring the receiver to the main level where I can see the dish in the backyard and see if it is actually moving the dish. I saw motor settings that said "ON" "Off" and "STAB". I have a Stab motor, so I'm thinking that it possibly is using USALS, but I'm not 100% sure. Depending how difficult it turns out to be to set up, I may just set this receiver up as a slave, or possibly set up a fixed dish pointed at Galaxy 10 and put the receiver in my spare bedroom.

I'd like to thank SatelliteAV for passing along this good deal to everybody here at SatelliteGuys. I have been looking for another FTA receiver (or two) for when I set up my C-Band system this spring. The local shops are all selling Viewsats and other receivers that are inflated in price due to people buying them to steal TV. Trying to get a decently priced legal free-to-air receiver was tough. Even without the blind scan, this was a fantastic deal! Thanks SatelliteAV!

Trying to uncover what serial cable I needed to upload firmware.
Answer: null modem cable

Found also another clone: TriStar 500 Pro
Sells for $349, marked down from $449
Also claims blind scan - not a chance (but I'll verify it any way). :rolleyes:

As I had one of those cables laying about, I tried the Tristar firmware (see attached, loader included). It looks exactly the same as our previous firmware. The remote still works fine. The firmware is reported as "DSR500S-4.139" on the system screen. Supposedly this is an "official" release, so I don't expect it to do anything illegal (and it didn't). I didn't find any new options; no blind scan.

On a side note, if you flash this firmware, you now own a $300+ STB instead of a $99 one :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Tristar 500 File 1-19-2007.zip
    640.3 KB · Views: 178
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)