Satpros DSR500 - self-help support

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LNB resolved / lesson learned

When I first got my Satpros, I hooked to the first available LNB/dish/cable I could dig out of the tangled web that is my computer room.
Seemed to work, and I was pretty excited.
Was getting plenty of experience doing receiver setup, etc.

That night , several weeks ago, I lost all signals.
By testing with a cable from another LNB, I decided to abandon my first LNB/dish/cable, and move to something that worked.
I didn't troubleshot the problem.
And I was still getting good experience doing receiver configuration and setup, so it didn't really matter.

Last night I lost signal from the 2nd LNB and that's when I got suspicious.
After doing a full in-house test, I knew the problem had to be outside.
I went out with ladder, tools, and a spare LNB.
While pulling the vines off the cables going up to the roof, I discovered a broken connection.
I normally put 6' cables on all LNBs , then go to grounding blocks, then the main cable into the house.
The grounding blocks are under the eaves, out of the elements, and well protected.
Unfortunately, this particular setup was quite old, and the 6' stub was not up to the task.
I'd long sense converted to the proper water tight connectors for all other uses, but this one hadn't gotten swapped out.
It was a crimp-type, and had pulled out.

Guess the joke is on me. :D

Moral of the story?
Use the good stuff, even where it "won't matter"... 'cause it always does! :eek:

whoops :)

I've done that a few times. Had a bad end and wondered why I aimed my dish where it should be and didnt get any signal

I guess I'm dense - what are the steps to download the channel list back to the box using satedit? I tried clicking the download button & then turning on the rear power switch (like when loading a bin or doing sat-to-sat copies on the receiving stb) but that doesn't appear to work.

Last edited:
I might direct your attention to the following posts in this thread:
#24 - 25
#55 - 58
#88 - 90
Look those over and see if they answer your questions about the channel editor and uploading to the Satpros.

Anole, I've read every post in this thread word-for-word - while the posts you mention refer to channel editing, none specify the exact steps for sending the channels back to the box - I have no trouble getting the channel list from the stb into satedit but I still haven't been able to push the list back to the box. I know this should be easy, but nothing I've tried has worked. Thanks!

It's been a while since this thread has been updated, so it's time to bring it back to life :) I would love to get Blind Scan working on this receiver. After a lightning storm my Fortec bit the dust (won't power up at all). I've been shuffling equipment around and now I find myself currently without a working receiver with blind scan capability. I spend more time blind scanning than I actually do watching TV. Has anybody been able to find some legit firmware that will allow this Satpros unit to blind scan, or do I need to buy another blind scan capable receiver? :( (I'm thinking about the Fortec Mercury II if I do need a new one..)

OK. Thanks for the quick response. I guess I need to go shopping for a new receiver. Blind Scanning is addictive, I can't be without that option for too long.

extensive research

I went underground, to the source of the firmware updates.
A few people expressed an interest in blind scan feature on those forums.
There was only silence from the foodchain providing firmware.
Whether that was a local importer, dealer, programmer, etc., I don' t know, but he seemed to be the authoritative source for all changes.

Never even got an answer as to whether the hardware exists in the Satpros to support blind scanning.
While I found a number of similar boxes which absolutely would , or probably would share firmware, none of them had blind scan, either.

Based on what I've seen, you should go elsewhere for a blind-scan capable receiver.
The Traxis 3500 can be had very cheaply.
SatAV has a deal on a Fortec 5400.
And I found a killer deal on a Mercury II earlier this summer.

It's a shame that the unit doesn't have blind scan. It is nice and small, and it feels well built. It seems like VinceT3 has tried loading other receiver firmware to his receiver and hasn't had any luck.

I've been looking around for deals on FTA sets, but can't see much. I guess the underground stuff is still working. I'm anxiously waiting for the day when Dishnetwork and ExpressVu secure their signals again so that I can stock up on FTA receivers for pennies on the dollar. In the past month I've spent a couple thousand dollars on home renovations (and they're not done yet), so the satellite fund is pretty empty right now. So, I'm looking for a really inexpensive unit :)

hello guys ive been reading here for some time now.i too always looking new ways to change things.there is also another receiver out there called a X-tionbox it is identical to orasat 50 and also the same remote as dsr500 witch is a satpro and the tristar pro 500.i will try and see what i can implement to make the blind scan work for ya.if any can help find factory files for the x-tionbox we can work around things better thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)