SC DSR 500 upgrade letter

I will not use the PPV credit so I am looking at $100 to replace at DSR500 I bought only 18 months ago. Seems unfair since a new customer pays $89 and gets dish and installation to boot. An existing customers gets the shaft.

I guess the question is:
1. Pay $100 and use DSR500 to replace the DSR315 (at least a faster guide). However, I don't think it is worth $100 (what I paid for the DSR 315 18 months ago).
2. Open up the case of DSR500, pull a wire, and call in a warantee for an exchange (I have two receivers so in theory I get free warantte on them both). This is free. Down side is I get a refurb DSR505 as replacement.
3. Call and explore option for DSR530. Has anyone called to see? I assume they give the $150 off so this would still be $550 which seems high given all the reported broken units after 1-2 years for users.
4. Call and threaten to cancel and move to Bell. Yell and scream and ask to escalate. Be a pain and see if they offer for free. Has anyone tried?

I think I will start with option 4.

What does most DSR500 user plan to do?

(I have the added complexity of needing to get the unit to the US. My "service addresss" is in Alberta and I live near Windsor so maybe I find a friend, change my address, ship the unit, and then chage my address back again? Then just need to smuggle over the border. I am guessing have it shipped by the friend would mean another $50 shipping plus possible customs.) Thoughts?

I believe that most of the 500 & 4XX/HDD20X subs that have been called are French or bilingual HD customers as the first 8PSK transponder will be launched in May with 3 French HD services.

I guess the question is:
1. Pay $100 and use DSR500 to replace the DSR315 (at least a faster guide). However, I don't think it is worth $100 (what I paid for the DSR 315 18 months ago).
2. Open up the case of DSR500, pull a wire, and call in a warantee for an exchange (I have two receivers so in theory I get free warantte on them both). This is free. Down side is I get a refurb DSR505 as replacement.
3. Call and explore option for DSR530. Has anyone called to see? I assume they give the $150 off so this would still be $550 which seems high given all the reported broken units after 1-2 years for users.
4. Call and threaten to cancel and move to Bell. Yell and scream and ask to escalate. Be a pain and see if they offer for free. Has anyone tried?

1. You live in the States so it's not even $100 for you. Don't be sp cheap. It's a good offer.

2. Not ethical - it's people who do things like this that escalate costs for everyone else in the long run.

3. A possibilty but expect to shell out a few bucks.

4. Again, not ethical; however, I wouldn't do this unless I was prepared to leave.

Due to slow deliveries of head end equipment, changeover of English HD channels is delayed to Fall (heard Oct 1 is now target date).

At least the 505/530 should have their new code by then

SC has just dropped its hardware prices:

217 was $99... now $79
317 was $149... now $99
505 was $249... now $199.

The 530 remains the same price.

In reading other threads, apparently some have been able to convert the PPV credit to a programing credit, but it appears to be hit or miss.

To "Starchoice" post above, I agree Option 2 is shady, but then again, I do experience freezes and they are more frequent so that would appear good enough for an exchange.

I disagree that 4 is unreasonable since they are the ones obsoleting my equipment which I bought only 18 months ago. It seems reasonable to ask for th best possible deal since I get NO upgrade in functioanlity for the fee they are charging. And as it turns outm they are offering "some" a better deal. It is too bad they only offer improvements to those that complain but that is life. It is not "unethical" to try to get a better deal.

Finally, I fail to see the CND vs US$ arguement since the same reasoning applies. I paid to buy a receiver and 18 months later it is obsolete.

In reading other threads, apparently some have been able to convert the PPV credit to a programing credit, but it appears to be hit or miss.

Sure it's hit & miss. That's not the offer. There will be a variety of factors involved in whether you would be successful here.

To "Starchoice" post above, I agree Option 2 is shady, but then again, I do experience freezes and they are more frequent so that would appear good enough for an exchange.

Does your computer ever freeze up? I'm sure you don't try to get an exchange for that.

I disagree that 4 is unreasonable since they are the ones obsoleting my equipment which I bought only 18 months ago. It seems reasonable to ask for th best possible deal since I get NO upgrade in functioanlity for the fee they are charging. And as it turns outm they are offering "some" a better deal. It is too bad they only offer improvements to those that complain but that is life. It is not "unethical" to try to get a better deal.

My only thought on this is that if you're going to threaten to cancel, you should be prepared to follow through if necessary. This is really no different from computer technology with the exception that if your computer becomes obsolete or needs an upgrade, the expense is totally your own. Nobody is going to offer you a trade. Keep in mind that the receiver, like your computer, will still work, you just won't get the HD.

Finally, I fail to see the CND vs US$ arguement since the same reasoning applies. I paid to buy a receiver and 18 months later it is obsolete.

Yes, it's the same reasoning but still cheaper for you - that's the point.

Final thought - you get a new receiver at a great price. You get to keep the old one. If you don't want or need it, you should be able to sell it. All in all, you come pretty close to breaking even.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)