SC Question

Look at the edge of the green +48 dBw contour. North Carolina is considerably closer to the +48 dBw point than most of Utah. Unless you are north of SLC, most areas of Utah will have weaker signals than much of North Carolina.

I will not argue that you can successfully use a 60 cm antenna under some conditions in both places, but it is also a fact that bigger is better when dealing with a marginal signal, which this is. Ku-band antennas require more precision in alignment than DBS antennas in the majority of situations, and the extra signal that you would get from a 75 cm Elliptical or larger antenna often reduces the number of times that one has to go out and tweak the antenna's adjustment
(or sweep the snow off, which would be more of an issue in Utah). IF you enjoy doing unnecessary work just to comply with your neighbor's view of aesthetics, knock yourself out! I personally prefer to have fat signals.

cablewithaview said:
BTW, 60 or 75 takes a 2 inch pipe (pole) to mount.
QUOTE]
If anyone reads this...be sure to check with your retailer. I have read in other places that the 60cm does not take the 2" mast. I'm not saying that there might have been a 60cm at one time that took the 2" mast.

I bet Iceberg knows!!

Last edited:
miguelaqui said:
cablewithaview said:
BTW, 60 or 75 takes a 2 inch pipe (pole) to mount.
QUOTE]
If anyone reads this...be sure to check with your retailer. I have read in other places that the 60cm does not take the 2" mast. I'm not saying that there might have been a 60cm at one time that took the 2" mast.

I had asked someone about that before, I haven't personally looked at one. he may have gave me some bad info. Mike, could you give us some info on this, please? :)

I can confirm that the Star Choice 75-E is supplied with a 2-inch OD mast.
Former Primestar antennas of the same diameter used a 2-3/8 OD mast size.

I do not use the 60-E Star Choice antenna, but would suspect that it probably uses the standard 1.67 inch (42 mm) outside diameter mast common on most DBS installations. If that's the case, I would feel more comfortable with a 75-E
and a 2-inch mast, because it will stand up to the elements better in my opinion.

I'm about to buy the *C and live in Houston, TX. Anyone down in this area have *C and been successful with it? Anyone know a good installer in this area?

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)