Sci-Fi HD...when can we watch?

Who is thy................ "Other Site"?

PM me if you must :eek:

The place where you are forbidden to speak of E* in negative way....and if you challenge the E* Gods...you will be removed....muahahahahaha:devil:

ahem....sorry

They're referring to the one that banned me twice because I had the gall to mention that this site existed or something.

I watched BSG on Universal the other night but I'm a little confused. Everyone says it was the first episode and the website says it's the first episode, but how did it have a "Previously on Battlestar Galactica" at the beginning?

From Reuters

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Jan. 7, 2008 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- DISH Network(r) (Nasdaq:DISH)
today announced plans to increase its national HD channel count from 76 to 100
in 2008. The company also plans to add local HD channels in 65 new markets,
bringing its HD local market total to 100.

"The addition of new HD national and local channels is a testament to DISH
Network's unwavering focus on providing the best HD offerings," said Eric Sahl,
senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "We at DISH Network will
continue to not only be a leader in the number of HD channels, but also in
quality in value."

DISH Network plans to launch three satellites in 2008, providing the company
additional bandwidth to maintain its reign as a top HD provider.

The company begins its HD launches with 11 local markets including: Austin, TX;
Baltimore; Cleveland; Columbia, S.C.; Flint, Mich.; Greenville, S.C.;
Huntsville, Ala.; Jackson, Miss.; Knoxville, Tenn.; Orlando, Fla.; and Richmond,
Va. The addition of these markets brings DISH Network's local HD penetration to
80 percent of U.S. TV households.

In conjunction with the launch of new HD programming, DISH Network is offering
more choices for HD customers, including HD packages as low as $10 per month for
more than 20 of the most popular HD channels. New HD packages will be available
beginning Feb. 1, 2008.

"DISH Network's HD programming packages, paired with the industry's best HD
DVRs, give TV consumers the complete TV viewing experience and another powerful
reason to switch to DISH Network -- if they haven't already," Sahl said.

That press release sounds a little more like what D* is trying to do right now, be the HD channel count leader at all costs. Cartoon Network HD? When everything is an upconvert?

I'm still not totally convinced when Charlie says "We at DISH Network will continue to not only be a leader in the number of HD channels, but also in quality in value." At least the channels E* carries have at least "some" HD content. They also beat D* in carrying HD at the very beginning IIRC. IMHO, Dish is certainly aware that HD is the future, and is something that their subs (especially their biggest subs) really want. Dish subs will not be left behind... at least not in long run. Not sure that the same can be said about cable subs, at least until all analog and SD channels are eliminated.

That press release sounds a little more like what D* is trying to do right now, be the HD channel count leader at all costs. Cartoon Network HD? When everything is an upconvert?

But does it get a decent amount of bandwidth? There are plenty of compression artifacts on the SD Cartoon Network. I've never seen any on Voom's animation channel.

I wouldn't mind upconverted channels as long as it's a decent upconversion and, most importantly, not stretched. Any channel that's stretching all its programs should be removed indefinitely as a punitive measure.

Currently no way to break into the D* MPEG4 streams to seee what they're getting but the MPEG4 HD channels look very good. Most of the new channels which we haven't seen any HD on, like Toon, look good except for them stretching the image to fit the 16:9 screen. There are some that look like crap, CSVT and TBS come to mind.

I just chattedwith a CSR at Dish, and he told me that USA HD and SCiFi HD will be coming...wait for it...SOON!

I aksed him if soon meant within the month, within the year, or within my life. He said he didn't know, but they are trying to work out a deal.

I pointed out that meant that it was a contractual issue, not a technical one, which made sense since the channels were already uplinked. He said he didn't know anything about that.

It seems to me that all deals are worked out and this is a timing issue.

Sounds like nobody really knows what's going on. Scott said he sources said it was a technical problem (which you would have thought would have been resolved by now) and CSR's saying they're still trying to work out a deal (Charlie and a contract dispute, nah).

The company begins its HD launches with 11 local markets including: Austin, TX;
Baltimore; Cleveland; Columbia, S.C.; Flint, Mich.; Greenville, S.C.;
Huntsville, Ala.; Jackson, Miss.; Knoxville, Tenn.; Orlando, Fla.; and Richmond,
Va. The addition of these markets brings DISH Network's local HD penetration to
80 percent of U.S. TV households.

YES!!!!!!

With the DISH press releases about new markets and more HD, and some of the HD uplinks (SciFi/USA), the MT uplinks, and the spotbeam activity on 61.5, it seems like a lot of the pieces are in place...

I doubt we'll see anything this week with CES going on, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some pleasant things in the next 2-3 weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)