Scott's C-Band Dish install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Great work and photos!

Place a laser level across the face of the feedhorn, centering the laser in the scaler opening. Adjust the legs, scaler hardware attachment points until the laser points to the exact center of the reflector. Insert the feedhorn and rotate so the arrow is at 90 degree angle to the dish vertical. Place a laser level across the face of the feedhorn, centering the laser on the feedhorn throat. Adjust the feedhorn FD setting and level the feedhorn within the scaler until the laser points to the exact center of the reflector.

Now it is time to mount the dish on the pole and set the dish angle, declination angle and set the jack with east / west limits.

This brings back some memories, I had a feed cap with laser built in, I was able to use it on any feed, it was pretty cool, mite be a good thing to include with the dish or sell on it's own. I think somebody stole mine :(

Scott the arm looks good, I have always just slapped them on heehee, you have a 24" on a 8' dish should be great, with a smaller arm you can adjust the clamp in or out a bit more to get more travel.

Remember to keep an eye on the dish when your setting limits some arms can go far and hit the mount some can pop out of the tube, best to set limits on the arm outside and also on the receiver inside, I usually set mine right before it flops and can basically go all the way around, as long as the arm has power to pull the dish back without to much struggling your ok. Have Fun!

The other question on the BSC621 is how deep do I push the LNB into the scaller, I notice on the LNB there are numbers. Do I push it to the 8 since I have a 8 foot Dish?

The depth of the feed in your scalar is determined by the f/D ratio of your dish.

I found some specs for the Geosatpro 2.4 meter that indicated an f/D ratio of 0.46 (please verify).

I'm not familiar with the BSC621, but you should have some marks and numbers on the feed throat that you will line up with the face of the scalar. That setting, once correct, should never change for your dish.

Good progress Scott, a nice looking dish and install. Thanks for the story on the hostage deal, the guy got arrested, and burned down the house to keep the wife from getting it. I guess that means he won?

Taking a break on the Dish until tommorow. Then will have the full weekend to finish it off. :)

Also my buddy who borrowed my Superbuddy satellite meter finally returned it which will help make aiming the dish SO much easier. :)

The Superbuddy also gives me some numbers to help me aim the dish for my zipcode. :)

Here is what it reports for me at Zipcode 06111

Latitude 41.9
Longitude -72.8
Azimuth 178.8
Magnetic 193.1
Elevation 41.6
Polar Off -0.9

The Superbuddy is pricy but was well worth it, Ihave had a lot of satellite meters but this one is the best out there... and I am not saying that because they are a sponsor.

I just updated the software on the Superbuddy so that it has all the latest lists and info in it. So we should be all ready to go tomorrow. :)

We are going to take the dish off the pole and check it and make sure its all proper and put the support arms and LNB on, then we will put it back up on the pole and aim it. :)

Besides the Superbuddy will bring out the LCD TV, a receiver and the GBOX unit.

Hitting the C Band signals should be easy, so because of that I am going to aim it for best KU, in which the C Band signals should fall into place on their own.

I can't wait to get this puppy running!

Unfortunately one the other Dish is up and running the other Dish is coming down.

I will be giving that 1.2 meter dish (and motor) away to a lucky SatelliteGuy's member at the SatelliteGuys Family Night which is the last Saturday of July. :)

Unfortunately one the other Dish is up and running the other Dish is coming down.

I will be giving that 1.2 meter dish (and motor) away to a lucky SatelliteGuy's member at the SatelliteGuys Family Night which is the last Saturday of July. :)

That 1.2 would make a great replacement to my 90cm :) I could even drive to pick it up:)

Nah not a piece of cake, we tried putting the actuator on and the instructions say that the saddle clamp and rod end should be at 90 degree alightment, but we haven't been able to get it there.

as long as your actuator travels in plane (no off-axis stresses), I think you'll be fine. The second pic from the left looks like it might lead to off-axis stress (the actuator ballend doesn't look in line with the attachment point on the dish) but you'd be a better judge than me to see how the actuator is as it drives the dish from side to side across the arc.

I must be doing something wrong...

We took the dish down today and did the string test and all was good there. My father and I then put on the LNB arms and the scaller ring.

I didn't have a laserpointer to check if we were 100% center with the lnb, so I took a string and tied a small rock to it and held it in the center of the lnb and let the rock down. It landed in the center, so I think we are fine there.

We put the Dish back on the pole. I set the elevation of the dish to 41.6 and then tried finding the 72 degree satellite which is my true south satellite.

The analog satellite finder Sadoun sent me was beeping at me as I swept the sky. It would only beep in one place. if I moved the dish a little bit the beeping would stop.

I checked the signal with my Superbuddy but could not find anything (I was testing C Band and set the settings for C Band LNBF in the Superbuddy menu)

After about 4 hours of screwing with the BSC621 LNB I figured maybe something was wrong with it. (I tried adjusting the skew every which way and also moved the LNB in and out the scaller trying to get a signal.)

No luck...

I think wondered if I had a bad LNB so I went in and got my Geosatpro C2 LNB. I put that in with the 0 pointed at the 9 o clock position like many folks have recommended.

Still nothing... I can get the analog signal meter to beep but am not getting any usable signal...

Not sure what to do now. :( Anyone in the Newington, CT area around who can help out? :)

My Dog Flash enjoyed watching he just sat on the ground all day looking and admiring.

Attachments

• dish1.jpg
    dish1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 238
  • dish2.jpg
    dish2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 255
  • dish3.jpg
    dish3.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 217
  • dish5.jpg
    dish5.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 215
  • dish6.jpg
    dish6.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 224
  • dish7.jpg
    dish7.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 212
  • dish8.jpg
    dish8.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 255
Believe it or not, I would be okay with only my OTA channels. :) As long as I get CBS and NBC, I'm good. :) No dishes required.

Believe it or not, I would be okay with only my FTA channels :) As long I get CBS and NBC, I'm good. :) No rabbit ears required.

Last edited:
What are you using for your declination offset angle? That diagram is a little funky. What he calls elevation, is 90º - elevation....

For Latitude: 41.6927° Longitude: -72.7215°, I get a little less than 6.5º

If you measure on the back plane of the dish (that circular ring thing) it should measure 41.7º at TS. (With your angle finder oriented as pictured) On the polar mount, it should be less by 6.5º.

I would try the C-band stuff try to get things started.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts