Scott's DirecTV Review (DirecTV -VS- Dish)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think Speed Channel does broadcast some stuff in HD, as I saw a night race a few weeks ago on Bell ExpressVU which was in HD and was from Speed Network.

I think Speed Channel does broadcast some stuff in HD, as I saw a night race a few weeks ago on Bell ExpressVU which was in HD and was from Speed Network.

Yes they do, if anyone in the US could watch it. They were taping the All-Star race for NASCAR in HD but nobody could actually watch it here.

The new sats may cause the turn off of existing MPEG2 HD channels which in turn may improve the SD quality of existing channels.

Which is why when I see the target date for removal of MPEG-2 HD mentioned by some as two years, I can only hope that it's much sooner. The HD and SD customers would hopefully both benefit from improved PQ.

Which is why when I see the target date for removal of MPEG-2 HD mentioned by some as two years, I can only hope that it's much sooner. The HD and SD customers would hopefully both benefit from improved PQ.

Exactly. Thats why the new sats are so important to both HD and SD folks and quite frankly, ever single current Directv and future subscriber. I really do hope PQ is part of their channel realignment. We have a glimpse of MPEG4 HD and it looks promising but it will be interesting to see if and when SD gets better and how long they plan on mirroring MPEG2 HD channels for the legacy receivers. I hope they shut down shortly after launch. May not be this year but then we dont know the count of legacy Tivos and HD non-DVR units. Hopefully they are smaller then we think and they have a quick plan to eliminate.

I would like to see them mirror the MPEG2 HD Channels in MPEG4 ASAP and lock out the MPEG2 HD channels from those with MPEG4 boxes. (And do this ASAP)

A lot of the big "HD LITE" folks would be very happy if this happened. :)

I would like to see them mirror the MPEG2 HD Channels in MPEG4 ASAP and lock out the MPEG2 HD channels from those with MPEG4 boxes. (And do this ASAP)

I hope they don't lock out all MPEG2 HD channels, like the NY Locals since I don't have locals in my area in MPEG4 yet and I can't get them over the air.

I hope they don't lock out all MPEG2 HD channels, like the NY Locals since I don't have locals in my area in MPEG4 yet and I can't get them over the air.

Assuming you qualify for them then you'll get the MPEG4 versions on the new sat. DNS for HD isn't going away for those that qualify. It'll just be in MPEG4 like the rest of the HD channels.

I got to admit, its going to be an exciting time coming up, and it will be neat to watch it grow before my very own eyes.

As I said before I mentioned I saw a demo of DirecTV's upcoming VOD service, I feel this will blow Dish Networks attempt at VOD away. The reason I say this is one of the things I saw that impressed me, is that if many people are requesting the same program instead of downloading it off the internet, it will powerboost it and instead stick the download on the satellite.

I can't wait for that CE. :)

I cant wait either. I think new big releases will be put on sat download right off the bat. Spider-Man 3 would be a great example that gets sat download right off the bat.

How much of the HR20's harddrive is set aside for downloading?

I think its setup just like if you recording something as it charges against the available space. Remember there is a small amount that is dedicated for Directv things like Showcases and other material still to be used. We dont know the exact amount but it does take away from the total disk size.

And again this point as "dedicated for Directv things like Showcases" still debating, so far on HR20 disk exist only THREE partitions: 0.5 GB SWAP, 15 GB EXT3 with logs/scripts/pointers/etc and 300 GB of raw partition.

They could also duplicate the existing channels in MPEG2 and MPEG4.
This is what is RUMORED that they will be doing. Anyone with a MPEG-4 receiver will get them in Mpeg-4, If you have a Older MPEG-2 receiver, you will still get them for a while until Everyone is swapped over to MPEG-4

PQ on SD is usually pretty good, but I agree about RAW Monday night. I got to watch it tonight, and that was as bad of compression as I have ever seen on Directv. It was much better for ECW Tuesday.

Scott, I think you will see a big revamp of their uplinks once the two new birds are flying. It will be such a waste of bandwidth to be transmitting the same signal in 2 or 3 different formats. They will also have to do some kind of channel re-alignment. I hope maybe this time they put all of the sports together, news together, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me in a few years to see just one receiver and one DVR, for HD and SD. Actually the HR20 and H20 could be that today. It can convert a HD picture to be viewed on a SD TV, using the A/V outputs, as well as output HDMI. That way only one MPG4 signal would be needed for anyone to view the HD signal on a HD or SD set, from a single channel. the HD signal could be letterboxed for viewing on a 3x4 SD TV.

PQ can also be a another tricky item. Several have mentioned viewing a SD signal on a HD set can look bad. we have to remember that HD TV was designed to view a HD signal, not a SD one. If you use that same receiver and feed the A/V signal into an SD set it looks a lot cleaner, than on the HDTV.

Nice job Scott, on your evaluation. On your HR20, having had mine since they first came out and being a CE tester, they are making great improvements on the unit. I agree it should have been released with more functions than it had. With recent events it looks like we could see TIVO software in that unit.

"With recent events it looks like we could see TIVO software in that unit."

I would bet my money it will never happen.

Too late for TiVo, D* will waist money for port it to HR20 instead of finalizing existing NDS variant ( no one in normal mental condition make business that way ).

With recent events it looks like we could see TIVO software in that unit.

What in the world would make you think that? CEO of Tivo says "hey, we think DirecTV might talk to us again with new owners" and suddenly people are putting Tivo software on the HR20. :rolleyes: ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)