Scott's Rumor Confirmed: Seven New HD Nationals Coming to Dish in August/September

From what little I've seen of MHD, it's much better than MTV. For one thing, it actually has music on it. :)

I might be wrong, but I was at a friends house in Vegas, and I clicked to it a couple times- it always had a concert on, and they all looked great. I think it's closer to Rave than MTV (but hopefully with more variety.)

I love MHD...I don't watch TV 24/7 so everytime I turn it on there's something I haven't seen. The picture always looks good too...I'm excited Dish is getting it....now if only I could get my DN back...l

Good! Maybe we can finally get Mythbusters in HD!

Discovery HD Theater really bears little to no resemblance to Discovery Channel.

They're going to have to put it back on it's old channel number. I appreciate these new mirrored channels for channels like NGC HD and TNT HD that are truly mirrored, but it's slightly annoying for the ones that are different like Discovery. If I dial, say, Food Network directly, I get the HD version, where perhaps I really want to watch Iron Chef on the regular channel.

Someone stated that Theater would start showing some nature movies too.

I agree on simulcasting, I wish FoodHD and HGTVHD would get on the ball.

Problem is after you watch it two weeks, youve seen everything for two mo's. Hopefully itll get better as more providers add it.

Well, you could say the same for most all-HD channels (that is, channels that aren't simulcasts).

That was an annoyance when there were only a few HD channels, but now that we're way over 30- there's no way I'll ever see all of it. I watch maybe an hour of TV a day not including news. There's stuff on Voom that I've noticed is on every other day when I scroll through the guide, but I still haven't watched 95% of it.

More choices = more gooder. :)

Someone stated that Theater would start showing some nature movies too.

I agree on simulcasting, I wish FoodHD and HGTVHD would get on the ball.

Actually, I PREFER the all-HD approach like Food, HGTV, ect. But it would be nice if they would sync up their schedules at least somewhat.

Ideally, I'd like to see a mix of the two approaches. If, for example, Food-SD is showing Good Eats, they should be showing the same episode on Food-HD. But if the following show on Food-SD is not available in HD, the HD channel should show something else.

(Come to think of it, that's how HBO Latino works. They show the same programming as HBO, unless there's no spanish version. Then, they switch to something else- often an movie actually MADE in spanish.)

There are times on those Scripps channels especially where the two feeds are showing the same shows, but different episodes.

Actually, I PREFER the all-HD approach like Food, HGTV, ect. But it would be nice if they would sync up their schedules at least somewhat.

Ideally, I'd like to see a mix of the two approaches. If, for example, Food-SD is showing Good Eats, they should be showing the same episode on Food-HD. But if the following show on Food-SD is not available in HD, the HD channel should show something else.

(Come to think of it, that's how HBO Latino works. They show the same programming as HBO, unless there's no spanish version. Then, they switch to something else- often an movie actually MADE in spanish.)

There are times on those Scripps channels especially where the two feeds are showing the same shows, but different episodes.

I agree in the fact I do not want an A&E hd which shows 90% of its material with sidebars. Want I want is Food and HGTV to go all hd so they can simulcast.

I do like the fact they that haven't done that yet obviously because they'd be showing stuff thats not HD.

lakebum431 said:
CosmoKramer said:
bfg said:
I guess dish hasn;t done negotions with Turner yet, cause TBS wasn't on the list and they're launching 9/1
And, don't they have some MLB playoff games this year??
Yep the division series will be on TBS:
tbs.com - MLB Postseason on TBS

bfg:

That's unfounded speculation. The new channels are launching 8/15, and that's 17 days prior to the launch of TBS-HD. You can't launch a channel that isn't broadcasting yet -- past experience says it doesn't work very well :D

cosmo and lakebum:

The playoffs aren't until October, and there are supposed to me more HD channels coming in September. If that's the case, this potentially has TBS-HD on prior to the playoffs.

Cheers,

bfg:

That's unfounded speculation. The new channels are launching 8/15, and that's 17 days prior to the launch of TBS-HD. You can't launch a channel that isn't broadcasting yet -- past experience says it doesn't work very well :D

cosmo and lakebum:

The playoffs aren't until October, and there are supposed to me more HD channels coming in September. If that's the case, this potentially has TBS-HD on prior to the playoffs.

Cheers,

The Dish press release also said more channels to be added in September

cosmo and lakebum:

Cheers,

Yep, and I'm fairly confident that they well add TBSHD when it goes online. I was just confirming that the playoffs were going to be on TBS. :)

I'd really like to see ESPN Gameplan include the ABC games that are being broadcast in HD to be available to those watching out of the market.

Last year the OU/Missouri game was broadcast in HD in that region, but I could only get the SD version on the west coast through Gameplan. Same with the OU/Texas A&M game.

Of course this would be an issue with ESPN as much as Dish.

I'd really like to see ESPN Gameplan include the ABC games that are being broadcast in HD to be available to those watching out of the market.

Last year the OU/Missouri game was broadcast in HD in that region, but I could only get the SD version on the west coast through Gameplan. Same with the OU/Texas A&M game.

Of course this would be an issue with ESPN as much as Dish.

That would be awesome! Even better would be to put these games on ESPNHD and ESPN2HD. It totally kills me that Saturdays during the football season that they show stupid crap like World Series of Poker reruns and Pool reruns on the ESPNHD channels. That way there wouldn't be any additional channels required to be added by the satellite co's or the cable co's.

That would be awesome! Even better would be to put these games on ESPNHD and ESPN2HD. It totally kills me that Saturdays during the football season that they show stupid crap like World Series of Poker reruns and Pool reruns on the ESPNHD channels. That way there wouldn't be any additional channels required to be added by the satellite co's or the cable co's.

I remember one Saturday last year during college FB season that one of the ESPN channels was actually carrying.... .... ready ..... A scrabble championship! Thats right scrabble on one of the ESPN HD channels. I guess they need a reason to start up ESPN3-HD and jack up subscriber rates more.

I don't understand why a National PBS feed is not included in the new HD announcement? Am I correct in thinking PBS is not subject to the legal restrictions on distant networks?

I don't understand why a National PBS feed is not included in the new HD announcement? Am I correct in thinking PBS is not subject to the legal restrictions on distant networks?

PBS on DBS is restricted. There is a feed for markets without a local PBS that you can sub to for 1.50/month or so. The feeds are free on C-Band but DBS was restricted.

Of course no one would ever have to choose between having 50 mediocre HD channels vs 10 excellent HD channels. The bandwidth that E* would give to 50 MPEG4 "HD" channels would be enough to have 30, maybe 35 very good, true HD resolution w/good bandwidth channels.

There's nothing wrong with E* using MPEG4. If an MPEG4 channel was given bandwidth, it could look very good.

This is great news but only confuses me more. I was considering switching to D* in November to get Indianapolis HD and their new HD channels. This causes me to to lean back towards E* but that is a problem for local HD.

The audit nazis caught me and my 'move' to New York recently and switched me back to Indianapolis SD locals. If I connect phone lines to all three of my receivers would it be safe to 'move' again or would there be notes on my account that would raise a flag with a regular CSR? I'd really prefer to stay with E* but the HD locals are important to me.

Of course no one would ever have to choose between having 50 mediocre HD channels vs 10 excellent HD channels. The bandwidth that E* would give to 50 MPEG4 "HD" channels would be enough to have 30, maybe 35 very good, true HD resolution w/good bandwidth channels.
That's a good, perceptive point. No reason to set up straw men.

However, what do you think the upside to E* would be (profit-wise) to doing that? Unless they'll never need more than 35 "HD" channels (doubtful) do you really think that the marginal profit they'd derive by attracting the "videophiles" would outweigh what they'd lose by having a competitor advertise/offer "more HD channels"? Does the vast majority of E*'s target audience care about anything but being able to tell their neighbor "I've got HD"?

I'd like better HD as well, but wasn't that what the original VOOM was all about?

There's nothing wrong with E* using MPEG4. If an MPEG4 channel was given bandwidth, it could look very good.

Absolutely. Now MPEG8, THERE'S where I draw the line. :)

=NLK=

Tom, the 50 vs 10 was just an example.

And they won't give us 35 top notch HD channels vs 50 down rezzed, theyll continue to downrez until they have the capacity.

Im fairly certain E* is going to add as much as they can to keep up, they are not going to add what they can at full resolution and then stop.

I personally don't care about 1440 vs 1920, 1440 is fine with me as any of its better than SD crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)