Scott's Rumor Confirmed: Seven New HD Nationals Coming to Dish in August/September

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Absolutely. Now MPEG8, THERE'S where I draw the line.

Well... thats pie in the sky. Shame... because I like good cream pie. But I am curious about H.264 / HD-DVD-BluRay. Can that be added without hardware upgrades? I dont know enough about it yet.

IF they caught you once I imagine they have notes to allow no MOVES by you unless they come out and install the receivers themselves.

That's what I figured. I guess I'll check the forums to compare E* with D* in the fall and make the decision then. It seems E* has thumbed their nose at Indy HD locals and moved on without consideration to unkept promises to those of us in that large market.

So you wouldn't care if it was 960x1080 either, since that is also better than the SD crap?

I might if I thought we'd ever see it.

I say that if you can tell me you'd see the diff between mpeg4 1440 and mpeg4 1920, id say suuuuuuuuuuure.

If it was never known that the resolution was dropped to 1440, 99.9% of the people would never know the diff. The other .1 would claim to.

Will these be available in Hawaii?

We recently got our local HD channels added to the DISH lineup. Here's hoping these HD Nationals as well as the RSN channels will be provided for the users outside of CONUS. Mahalo (Thank you)!

Now MPEG8, THERE'S where I draw the line. :)

=NLK=

No such animal - The MPEG standards group applies numbers based on content and content management. It's not like a cpu or something. MPEG4 is a HUGE standard with room for continued improvement of codecs for all types of media as well as intelligent control of the media created under its standards.

I say that if you can tell me you'd see the diff between mpeg4 1440 and mpeg4 1920, id say suuuuuuuuuuure.

If it was never known that the resolution was dropped to 1440, 99.9% of the people would never know the diff. The other .1 would claim to.

Side by side it is not hard to tell the difference. Seeing 1440 by itself without the reference original picture is pretty hard to tell. If DIRECTV were to finally get its system launched and went full 1920 and Dish did not bother to update (or vice versa), a lot of people would notice the difference when seeing side by side.

It is interesting to me that you think it is so hard, when I find it so easy to see the difference.

Likewise between HDTVs that are 1280 sets vs those with full 1920. Big difference on good HD material.

When certain of the VOOM channels were dropped from 1920, and when HDNET was dropped from 1920, I still had 1920 recordings, that I re-captured when they were repeated at lower resolutions. The difference was quite easy to see.

You also were not around back when the HDNET res was dropped. I logged in and posted that HDNET PQ had noticably dropped, not yet having heard that it had been down-rezzed.

I agree with Tom, I remember when HDNet was the best HD channel that E* offered. The picture was excellent. When they added the HD preview channel, the picture quality was noticably lower. Even today, I can see a further degradation since the last drop. Today, it's mediocre at best. I hope E* succeeds in its MPEG4 efforts to increase HD channels AND improve BOTH SD and HD picture quality. If they don't, I'm gone.

I remember back when Bikini Destinations was absolutely stunning, used to use it to show off the HT. My old Dvr'd shows are vastly superior to current showings.

You can't know what to look for until you've seen the same feed at 1440x1080 and 1920x1080 and you sit close enough to the display to see all of the resolution.

I do happen to sit close enough in the main theater, but that's an FPTV setup and a 105" diagonal.

Cheer,s

Nice way to waste some space for legitimate HD channels. MTV, VH1 and CMT?

Dish should not count the RSN. I do not believe they should be including in the overall number of HD channels.

Nice way to waste some space for legitimate HD channels. MTV, VH1 and CMT?

Dish should not count the RSN. I do not believe they should be including in the overall number of HD channels.

? This is a national channel not a RSN.

I remember back when Bikini Destinations was absolutely stunning, used to use it to show off the HT.

Yes, it was. The beaches, the city streets, the women, the colors, it was spectacular HD.

One thing that I miss is that there is no stunning HD from E* anymore. It looks a lot better than SD, but none of it has that "window into the world" effect, where a great HD program can look so lifelike that it can be eerie. It just isn't sharp enough and the colors don't snap as much.

For a while the Demo channel had some stunning clips, but they eventually cut that back too.

I believe that all the hd has faded from that WOW effect you are talking about too. BUt then again I don't know if that is the hd fading or that we are getting USED to the effect and we know longer see it. I know that an hd dvd or blue ray dvd still pops when I look at them at BESTBUY , but they are in 1080p . I really don't notice any more the WOW effect anymore on DISH Hd . I hope that once they migrate to the all mepg 4 service by next spring , that all PQ will POP once again on both hd /sd.

I believe that all the hd has faded from that WOW effect you are talking about too. BUt then again I don't know if that is the hd fading or that we are getting USED to the effect and we know longer see it. I know that an hd dvd or blue ray dvd still pops when I look at them at BESTBUY , but they are in 1080p . I really don't notice any more the WOW effect anymore on DISH Hd . I hope that once they migrate to the all mepg 4 service by next spring , that all PQ will POP once again on both hd /sd.

It's not a matter of getting used to it. The old Dvr'd Bikini Destinations still look awesome.

I remember seeing HD for the first time on a system called Unity Motion. WOW now that was a picture!

Yes, Ohhhh.. the memories! I have a couple of Unity Motion 1000A receivers sitting here gathering dust. They were $3995.00 each :eek: at the start of the service that only lasted 6 months. :( Good for HD FTA satellite though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts