Scripps Stations dispute?

DJ Lon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Starting this evening our 2 Scripps stations here in Phoenix (KNXV-15 and KASW-61) have started running crawls stating Dish is in a dispute and if programming disappears to call Dish and demand the station to be returned.

Reactions: Claude Greiner
I warned about this back in March:

Oh, great! Based on today's uplink report...
...it looks like Dish is now also preparing for a dispute with the Scripps-owned stations, which would impact the local ABC affiliate in Cleveland. ... :(

Also, it looks like the period for coronavirus-related local channel truces (as discussed later in the above-linked thread) is now over, since Dish just recently lost the Apollo-owned stations in a dispute.

I warned about this back in March:

Also, it looks like the period for coronavirus-related local channel truces (as discussed later in the above-linked thread) is now over, since Dish just recently lost the Apollo-owned stations in a dispute.

I guess the companies like Apollo and Scrips do not care....It is all about money. Meanwhile while the channels are removed from Dish, the advertisers are not getting their moneys-worth either. I wonder how advertisers feel about it? Has anyone asked?

I guess the companies like Apollo and Scrips do not care....It is all about money. Meanwhile while the channels are removed from Dish, the advertisers are not getting their moneys-worth either. I wonder how advertisers feel about it? Has anyone asked?
My DVR has been quiet for at least four weeks. No new shows, no sports, absolutely nothing of interest. Is this really the time to be pulling this crap?

At least Endeavor on Masterpiece has shown up to be recorded this Sunday.

Our local ABC station out of Detroit has the scroll this morning,as stated in a earlier post According to them I am to contact Dish and demand that our ABC stays on. Instead I think I will just watch via OTA

But I do understand that not all have OTA abilities

They discussed it on the local news. I love how they tow the corporate line. Is it D!SH that cuts the feed, as explained by the news readers or does Scripps cut the feed to D!SH? Luckily I have OTA that reaches 100 miles. Although the towers are only 15 away.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Scripps has 60 stations in 40 or so Markets. I agree there isn't alot to watch right now though particular local news and morning news shows become part of people's routines.
With the numbers who stream only with no locals and no OTA they must have fewer people watching local programming. So I wonder if these companies who hold the local outlets is looking for an even a higher income from Satellite and Cable to make up for that loss?
Add to that Locast has a Million and half viewers not an overwhelming number but a little more impact when you realize that's over just a few Markets. That means ad revenue but no carriage fees which are substantial.

I'm at the outer fringe of the Cleveland market. No Locast here, and only spotty OTA reception. Having said that, with the ability to add and remove the Dish-delivered locals as often as I want, I only add the locals on the few days a week that I want to watch something on one of them. I only add the locals specifically for our local Scripps station once per week, so I can watch Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I then drop the locals again as soon as my show goes off. Since the prorated credit for dropping the locals the same day they were added completely offsets the prorated charge for adding them, this means that I pay exactly $0.00 for my local channel viewing each month. (Actually, due to the way the sales tax is calculated, all of these prorated charges and credits actually end up crediting my bill by an extra penny or two each month.) Scripps could raise the price as high as they want, and Dish could pass that entire increase along (plus a considerable mark-up) as part of the price of the locals package, and my price would still stay the same. :biggrin

My DVR has been quiet for at least four weeks. No new shows, no sports, absolutely nothing of interest. Is this really the time to be pulling this crap?...
Unfortunately, with sports actually returning, this is the perfect time (from the station owners' perspective) to be pulling this crap. ABC has NBA games, NBC has the NHL, and Fox has MLB. So, now that the networks will actually have high-demand content that viewers want to see live, this is the perfect time to demand higher rates, or pull the content to hold those viewers hostage until a more acceptable deal (rate increase) can be reached.

Reactions: tornado
At some point the FCC is going to have to step up to the plate and put a stop to station hoarding and make these investment groups divest themselves of of any and all stations they own. It's obvious they buy them up with the soul purpose of holding the public hostage while trying to force providers to significantly increase payments (ransom). Sounds a lot like extortion doesn't it?

They discussed it on the local news. I love how they tow the corporate line. Is it D!SH that cuts the feed, as explained by the news readers or does Scripps cut the feed to D!SH? Luckily I have OTA that reaches 100 miles. Although the towers are only 15 away.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
It's always the one that wants more money for their feeds so in this case it's Scripps.

I have WXYZ (ABC) and WMYD (MyN) in Detroit via OTA. Both are Scripps stations and WMYD is supposed to be our ATSC 3.0 lighthouse station. Will be interesting to see if they get as nasty as WJBK (Fox) got during that dispute a while back.
Speaking of ATSC 3.0, a few weeks back KASW (CW) became our 2nd lighthouse station and moved their 1.0 signal to KNXV's (ABC) transmitter. Ever since then the Hopper OTA guide info for KASW now shows what's on KNXV instead of KASW.

WXYZ (ABC) In Detroit just read a statement from Scripps on their news. No agreement yet. Pretty tame compared to the crap WJBK aired a few months back.

Speaking of ATSC 3.0, a few weeks back KASW (CW) became our 2nd lighthouse station and moved their 1.0 signal to KNXV's (ABC) transmitter. Ever since then the Hopper OTA guide info for KASW now shows what's on KNXV instead of KASW.
This is typical of Dish OTA guide information for any stations that have entered into sharing agreements. The guide info for the host station gets mapped to both stations on the Dish receivers. This is a problem that is only going to get worse as the repack continues, unless Dish finally figures out how to fix it.

• Sad
Reactions: DJ Lon and TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)