SD Picture Quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Piratefan98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
As I nudge a little closer to making the Comcast to DirecTV switch, I'm wondering about PQ on SD channels. As I've mentioned before, I have no problem at all with the PQ on Comcast. Both SD and HD channels are really very good. The problem on my outdated Comcast system is that we have very little HD channels (around 15), and it will be quite some time until more are offered. I want more HD, and that is why I am considering the switch. Having said that, many DirecTV channels are still in SD, and that makes me worry a little.

So ..... what I'm wondering is ..... is there any reason to worry about a "drop off" in PQ on the SD channels (or the HD ones, for that matter), if I switch to DirecTV? With a 50" plasma, a compressed junky SD feed won't look very good, and I'm really hoping that DirecTV's SD PQ won't be a step backward from my current cable SD.

Jeff

I can only compare the Comcast analog to the digital SD on DTV. In that case the DTV is better than analog cable. I don't really know about a digital to digital comparison myself other than I've seen a few posts were people say comcast was slightly better.

I am wondering about the SD picture quality too.

Since D* has a lot more capacity with the new satellites and all, have they increased their bitrates OR lowered the compression on the SD channels?

Thanks

I find the SD channels to be slightly inferior to Comcast. That being said - you are only asking since you are used to so little HD. Once you switch to DTV - you will be watching very little SD. With all they have to offer - I would say that 98% of what you most likely watch will have a HD match on DTV.

What would you watch that they don't offer in HD? We can answer you more precisely if for example you watch say - BBC America which isn't offered in HD.

No doubt that I'd be watching more HD than SD. Sports (esp football and hockey) would be leading the way.

That said, there are quite a few programs that we like to watch that WILL be SD ..... i.e., some old movies on AMC and Turner Classic movies ..... an occasional old game show on GSN ..... Friday night stand up on Comedy Central ..... a variety of shows on the Travel Channel, and the news on MSNBC and Headline News. None of those are in HD on the Choice plan, and those channels all look reasonably good on my Comcast Cable. They certainly are nothing close to HD quality, but they ARE very watchable.

And so, my concern is ..... for those shows, on those channels ... will I be taking a step backward in PQ by switching.

Jeff

I think D* SD looks fine, But on my Philips 1080p and Sony 1080p the SD PQ from both D* and E* are only just acceptable. So keep that in mind! 1080p TVs don't like SD programming. On my old 768p Philips D* SD was great. My sony SD TV great as well.

Yep, and also keep the 480 native as opposed to zoomed / stretched if you are worried about it. My displays to a great job scaling the 480 content and maintain decent PQ.

Travel Channel should be available in HD soon. Maybe March 30?? I catch a few episodes of the Andrew Zimmerman show and it looks fine. Nothing that makes me say wtf and shut it off. Same with Comedy Central. I do tend to watch those shows on my smaller 42 inch so it hides most of the SD problems. Actually - my only real complaint with SD on DTV is sports. I tried watch a Uconn football game during the season and the players were not even watchable.

No doubt that I'd be watching more HD than SD. Sports (esp football and hockey) would be leading the way.

That said, there are quite a few programs that we like to watch that WILL be SD ..... i.e., some old movies on AMC and Turner Classic movies ..... an occasional old game show on GSN ..... Friday night stand up on Comedy Central ..... a variety of shows on the Travel Channel, and the news on MSNBC and Headline News. None of those are in HD on the Choice plan, and those channels all look reasonably good on my Comcast Cable. They certainly are nothing close to HD quality, but they ARE very watchable.

And so, my concern is ..... for those shows, on those channels ... will I be taking a step backward in PQ by switching.

Jeff

Pirate-
Hey, I answered you over on DSL Reports (JeepMatt). Don't believe all the bashing you here about DTV's SD picture. On my 50" plasma, it really doesn't look worse than Comcast. Some channels actually look better.

Jeff

I love old movies too, but I watch them on a 32" CRT. They don't look good on the big screen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)