Sean Avery suspended... for this?

This was talked about in the talk radio sports show I listen to . Look, when it comes to 1st Amendment in professional sports leagues.....forget it, it DOES NOT EXIST!! Yes, the suspension is EXTREMELY stupid and Yes the remarks are more behind closed doors locker room banter...BUT these commissioners have a right to run the league as they please, they MAY run it stupid....but that is THEIR right as a commissioner.

I think the suspension is stupid as well.
But, my remark to this (for those who want to claim free speech)... The 1st amendment (if you read it correctly) only pertains to protecting your freedom of speech from censorship by the gov't, not private organizations or businesses.

However, that being said, we won't get into the numerous SCOTUS rulings allowing legalized censorhip of US Citizens.

I think the suspension is stupid as well.
But, my remark to this (for those who want to claim free speech)... The 1st amendment (if you read it correctly) only pertains to protecting your freedom of speech from censorship by the gov't, not private organizations or businesses.

However, that being said, we won't get into the numerous SCOTUS rulings allowing legalized censorhip of US Citizens.

That is why the League Commissioners of all pro sports will be the moral compass for thie league, and they will run their respective league like dictators.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Wow.

The NHL is hardly on 'life support'.

And the comment and suspension have nothing to do with whether a league is on 'life support' or not.

Sandra

Well...thriving they are not. This league is not doing well...and "life support" is a pretty accurate description.:(

This report was from 4 years ago and I cannot imagine that things have gotten better.

NHL to table new financial report
Last Updated: Thursday, February 12, 2004 | 11:51 AM ET
CBC Sports

According to sources, a report is set to confirm what NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has been saying all along: the league is bleeding red ink.
The NHL has called a Thursday afternoon news conference to present a new financial report conducted by Arthur Levitt, a former chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission appointed by President Clinton.

Levitt's report, commissioned by the league, is expected to paint a grim portrait of the NHL's financial status, supporting Bettman's earlier claims.

According to Bettman, the NHL's total losses amounted to nearly $300 million US for 2003-2004 season.

Then there is THIS I read the other day.

ERIC DUHATSCHEK
From Saturday's Globe and Mail

November 29, 2008 at 12:54 AM EST

The survival of the New York Islanders hinges on an arena deal that may be compromised by tightening U.S. credit markets.

The Coyotes' future in Phoenix is threatened by the plight of owner Jerry Moyes' trucking firm, Swift Transportation, during an economic slowdown.

The Atlanta Thrashers are in court daily, mired in an ownership tug of war that threatens to de-stabilize the franchise.

A 27 per cent share of the Nashville Predators is tied up in the William (Boots) Del Biaggio bankruptcy hearing.

The Florida Panthers are papering the house with ticket promotions and giveaways: present a Florida driver's licence, get a free ticket.

The New Jersey Devils moved to a new facility in Newark two years ago, but it has not been a cure-all for their economic struggles either. At the moment, as one of 17 teams experiencing attendance downturns in the first quarter of the season, the club is fighting the city and contractors over who should pay utility bills - and it's hard to make ice without water and electricity.

Against this mounting evidence, amid the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, commissioner Gary Bettman recently reported a sunny forecast for the gate-driven National Hockey League, buffeted by increased attendance in October and brisk ticket sales in many markets.

Looking forward, the picture isn't so cheery.

"The U.S. economy in June was okay and the Canadian dollar (drop) didn't really happen until October," explains Larry Quinn, Buffalo Sabres managing partner and minority owner. "So a lot of these things don't hit you immediately, but there is a 12-month cycle involved ... and going out, it's looking pretty scary a year from now."

Many of Quinn's peers echoed his words. NHL presidents, governors and general managers are worrying and wondering what the future may hold.

While the league enjoyed audited revenue growth of 12 per cent last year, growth is expected to flatten to about one per cent this season, according to numerous team executives. Moreover, eight to 10 teams are struggling — at the most dire end of the scale, the New York Islanders and the Phoenix Coyotes are losing tens of millions of dollars annually.

globesports.com: Trouble ahead

He doesn't fit in with the Dallas Stars. The Stars have a totally different team personality than what Avery has. I wish we never signed him. :(

Well, at least we got an excuse from Mr. Avery:

"It was a bad attempt to build excitement for the game, but I am now acutely aware of how hurtful my actions were. I caused unnecessary embarrassment to my peers as well as people I have been close with in the past.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3743305"]Dallas Stars' Sean Avery apologizes for 'off-color remarks' - ESPN[/ame]

Well...thriving they are not. This league is not doing well...and "life support" is a pretty accurate description.:(

This report was from 4 years ago and I cannot imagine that things have gotten better.

Last Updated: Thursday, February 12, 2004 | 11:51 AM ET
CBC Sports

According to sources, a report is set to confirm what NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has been saying all along: the league is bleeding red ink.
The NHL has called a Thursday afternoon news conference to present a new financial report conducted by Arthur Levitt, a former chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission appointed by President Clinton.

Levitt's report, commissioned by the league, is expected to paint a grim portrait of the NHL's financial status, supporting Bettman's earlier claims.

According to Bettman, the NHL's total losses amounted to nearly $300 million US for 2003-2004 season.

Yeah, not much has happened since February 12, 2004...oh, except for CANCELING THE ENTIRE 2004/2005 SEASON BECAUSE OF A LOCKOUT for goodness sake. The league basically got what it wanted with the lockout, cost certainty.

In February 2004 Bettman was trying to paint the bleakest position possible to state his case that the lockout, and cost certainty, were necessary. Commissioners of other sports would attempt the same under similar circumstances.

Surely you realize a 2004 NHL financial report is completely meaningless today.

This is not to state everything is completely rosy, but please don't refer to February 2004 to state your case.

Then there is THIS I read the other day.
ERIC DUHATSCHEK
From Saturday's Globe and Mail

November 29, 2008 at 12:54 AM EST

The survival of the New York Islanders hinges on an arena deal that may be compromised by tightening U.S. credit markets.

The Coyotes' future in Phoenix is threatened by the plight of owner Jerry Moyes' trucking firm, Swift Transportation, during an economic slowdown.

The Atlanta Thrashers are in court daily, mired in an ownership tug of war that threatens to de-stabilize the franchise.

A 27 per cent share of the Nashville Predators is tied up in the William (Boots) Del Biaggio bankruptcy hearing.

The Florida Panthers are papering the house with ticket promotions and giveaways: present a Florida driver's licence, get a free ticket.

The New Jersey Devils moved to a new facility in Newark two years ago, but it has not been a cure-all for their economic struggles either. At the moment, as one of 17 teams experiencing attendance downturns in the first quarter of the season, the club is fighting the city and contractors over who should pay utility bills - and it's hard to make ice without water and electricity.

Against this mounting evidence, amid the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, commissioner Gary Bettman recently reported a sunny forecast for the gate-driven National Hockey League, buffeted by increased attendance in October and brisk ticket sales in many markets.

Looking forward, the picture isn't so cheery.

"The U.S. economy in June was okay and the Canadian dollar (drop) didn't really happen until October," explains Larry Quinn, Buffalo Sabres managing partner and minority owner. "So a lot of these things don't hit you immediately, but there is a 12-month cycle involved ... and going out, it's looking pretty scary a year from now."

Many of Quinn's peers echoed his words. NHL presidents, governors and general managers are worrying and wondering what the future may hold.

While the league enjoyed audited revenue growth of 12 per cent last year, growth is expected to flatten to about one per cent this season, according to numerous team executives. Moreover, eight to 10 teams are struggling — at the most dire end of the scale, the New York Islanders and the Phoenix Coyotes are losing tens of millions of dollars annually.

globesports.com: Trouble ahead

Obviously the country's financial crisis will affect the NHL, as it will also affect the other sports, and everything else as well. All of the statements made about hockey can be made everywhere else, to some extent.

Many major league baseball teams cannot compete financially with the big spenders...and that was BEFORE the crisis. Teams can catch lightning in a bottle and do well like the Marlins have done...then they get dismantled. The same could happen to the Rays.

There are most likely financial issues affecting arenas/stadiums throughout sports. The Nets' move to Brooklyn is all but dead, I don't keep up with what is going on around the country regarding this. The Mets' $20M stadium naming rights deal with Citibank is very much in question.

There are a number of stadiums/arenas whose names are attached to corporations who are in trouble.

Some are speculating despite the Yankees spending money like a teenage girl with her father's credit card, the market for baseball free agents could be adversely affected by the country's fiscal problems. And perhaps already has. Very odd nobody has been signed yet.

Many SPORTS executives, not just NHL, are worried and wondering what the future may hold.

Please be fair and don't single out the NHL as the only sport affected by the economy.

Nobody knows what the future holds for the country or any of the sports in particular, but the NHL at the moment is NOT on life support. And, getting back to the OT, what Sean Avery said, and his suspension, has NOTHING to do with the financial health of the league.

Sandra

He doesn't fit in with the Dallas Stars. The Stars have a totally different team personality than what Avery has. I wish we never signed him. :(

His teammates didn't exactly have his back, either.

Marty Turco and Brad Richards sounded like they had enough of this clown.

Please be fair and don't single out the NHL as the only sport affected by the economy.

Nobody knows what the future holds for the country or any of the sports in particular, but the NHL at the moment is NOT on life support. And, getting back to the OT, what Sean Avery said, and his suspension, has NOTHING to do with the financial health of the league.

Sandra

Sandra...ALL other leagues, even the knuckleheads at MLB are doing better with HUGE television contracts. Don't get me wrong, living in upstate NY and Chicago during the Jeremy Roenicke, Chris Chelios(which became a very good friend of mine), Brent Sutter, Michel Goulet, Tony Amonte and Eddie Belfour in the '90s...I LOVED seeing LIVE HOCKEY due to what I was doing for a living.

I went to a Cananda's Cup tournament(World Cup of Hockey.....:rolleyes:) in 1996 for goodness sake. I am a closet hockey geek!

But truth be told, without a LEGIT TV contract(don't let the current one fool)...these guys are BARELY surviving.

And yes, it was a bit off topic...but someone did say the the NHL was on life support because he either does not like hockey or doesn't much much of the league....but it does not take away from the fact that the statement is TOTALLY true and their are plenty articles on the net that states it.

Sandra...ALL other leagues, even the knuckleheads at MLB are doing better with HUGE television contracts. Don't get me wrong, living in upstate NY and Chicago during the Jeremy Roenicke, Chris Chelios(which became a very good friend of mine), Brent Sutter, Michel Goulet, Tony Amonte and Eddie Belfour in the '90s...I LOVED seeing LIVE HOCKEY due to what I was doing for a living.

I went to a Cananda's Cup tournament(World Cup of Hockey.....:rolleyes:) in 1996 for goodness sake. I am a closet hockey geek!

But truth be told, without a LEGIT TV contract(don't let the current one fool)...these guys are BARELY surviving.

And yes, it was a bit off topic...but someone did say the the NHL was on life support because he either does not like hockey or doesn't much much of the league....but it does not take away from the fact that the statement is TOTALLY true and their are plenty articles on the net that states it.

Whatever regarding the financials, the NHL is not going to close any time soon. I just can't bicker with you about everything. Now I know what being married is like! :D

Someone said 'no wonder the NHL is on life support' because of Avery's suspension. The suspension will absolutely not affect the financial status of the league.

Sandra

Whatever regarding the financials, the NHL is not going to close any time soon. I just can't bicker with you about everything. Now I know what being married is like! :D

Someone said 'no wonder the NHL is on life support' because of Avery's suspension. The suspension will absolutely not affect the financial status of the league.

Sandra

Sanda....I don't need to bicker because the proof is in EVERY story you pull up on the internet. THAT is a slam dunk. But I do agree that it will not be folding. But just because you struggle, does not mean you are gonna fold.

...NOW I know why being married can be overrated and so stressful....:rolleyes:;)

But yes, Avery's comments has nothing to do with the financial situation in the NHL. But my original post was this was a stupid suspension AND the 1st Amendment does NOT exist when it comes to playing in a professional sports leage.

Sanda....I don't need to bicker because the proof is in EVERY story you pull up on the internet. THAT is a slam dunk. But I do agree that it will not be folding. But just because you struggle, does not mean you are gonna fold.

...NOW I know why being married can be overrated and so stressful....:rolleyes:;)

But yes, Avery's comments has nothing to do with the financial situation in the NHL. But my original post was this was a stupid suspension AND the 1st Amendment does NOT exist when it comes to playing in a professional sports leage.

There is an article on yahoo today about so many NBA teams whose attendance has been way down this year. But, like the NHL, the NBA won't be folding any time soon either.

Sandra

His teammates didn't exactly have his back, either.

Marty Turco and Brad Richards sounded like they had enough of this clown.
turco is a clown
thats the pot calling the keetle black
it takes a clown to know a clown

cant argue with avery and his comments he could have said it a little nicer but lets face it cuthbert is a Puck-Slut
I wanna hear from komiserik and se what he thinks lol
why not suspened turco for his fancy of knocking the net off moorings intentionally during play

There is an article on yahoo today about so many NBA teams whose attendance has been way down this year. But, like the NHL, the NBA won't be folding any time soon either.

Sandra

Sandra if you are putting the NHL financials between the NBA and the NHL....you are in complete denial. FIND ME a few stories that states the NBA is struggling and I will agree.....where on the other hand, I will find a tons stating the NHL is.

I understand you that you love the NHL....but your love has blinded you to the reality of the trouble the league is in.

The television contract that Bettman got them into is a JOKE, they just now got HD and on the map so some actually know where to find VS.

The league is NOT on life support as some have said, but they could use a REAL TV contract.
Even the studio sets look like they were re used from ESPN's first sets in the early '70's.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts