Sean Avery suspended... for this?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm not the smartest guy in the world and please forgive me for asking but why did Sean Avery get suspended?
For this:

Avery suspended indefinitely by NHL for crude line - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

Please explain how that's possible or am just being dumb.

I agree ...

OK, you find the disparaging remark:

Avery’s inflammatory line came following a morning skate in Calgary, Alberta.

Reporters were waiting to speak with Avery about disparaging remarks he’d made last month about Flames star Jarome Iginla when Avery walked over to the group and asked if there was a camera present. When told there was, he said, “I’m just going to say one thing.”

“I’m really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada,” he said. “I just want to comment on how it’s become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my (former girlfriends). I don’t know what that’s about, but enjoy the game tonight.” He then walked out of the locker room.

Avery’s ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert of the television show “24” and the movie “Old School,” is dating Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf; she also had been romantically linked to Mike Komisarek of the Montreal Canadiens.

“My thoughts were that it was a very disrespectful comment, and the league took action and I definitely agree with the way they took action,” Phaneuf said after the Flames’ 3-1 loss to the Stars on Tuesday night.

This is rediculous ...

I heard something else was said as well and STILL didn't think it was worthy of a suspension.

Something about sloppy seconds ...

but here's the context of the article that they suspended him over.

Jimbo

This was talked about in the talk radio sports show I listen to . Look, when it comes to 1st Amendment in professional sports leagues.....forget it, it DOES NOT EXIST!! Yes, the suspension is EXTREMELY stupid and Yes the remarks are more behind closed doors locker room banter...BUT these commissioners have a right to run the league as they please, they MAY run it stupid....but that is THEIR right as a commissioner.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnXC6C_b0CA]YouTube - Sean Avery Comment ''My Sloppy Seconds'' - Suspended Indefinitely + Interviews (Dec 2nd 2008)[/ame]

I think a fine would have been more appropriate. It's not fair for the entire team to suffer because he said something so stupid. If him and other teammates said such things then suspensions would be better. Then again, his teammates don't seem to be big fans of him anyways, so maybe such a thing was more welcome by the team.

I'm all for free speech, but what he did was very insulting to both of those people, and calling his ex gf "sloppy seconds" is very low class. I can't wait until these two meet up again on the ice.

I totally agree. It's silly, insensitive, whatever...but I don't think he should be suspended for a comment like that. You have guys all over a whole bunch of leagues using violence against women, it just doesn't seem right to suspend someone indefinitely over a comment.

I'm sure the fact that it's not his first 'comment' offense didn't help him, and I also have a feeling Stars management welcomed the suspension.

I really think Avery should be on the Rangers. A Stars fan is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but he seems like a fish out of water in Dallas. It just doesn't seem like his kind of city. He gets back into Canada where everyone cares about hockey again, a bunch of microphones are nearby, and he feels the need to be 'Sean Avery' again.

When Avery was in New York there was so much to keep him occupied, from the adoring fans to working at Vogue to everything else the city has to offer (including actresses), he had lots to do. He didn't say or do anything crazy during his time here, except of course drive Fatso Marty crazy...which was a good thing. Perhaps he's bored in Dallas.

Listen, send him back to the Rangers where he belongs...there have been way too many lifeless games at the Garden already. I've said on Ranger forums although our cap says we made a good decision not to sign Avery, we need an Avery type agitator like Ruuttu or Tootoo or anyone else who is cuckoo.

Sandra

Ordainarily(99% of the time), I would look the other way but in this case hopefully Bettman lays down the thick hand of selective Justice/Punishment.

Avery is a tool and a complete and utter embarassment to the league. He needs to understand that being "Sean Avery" is not part of the deal and his "15 minutes of fame" expired a while back.(Sorry Sandra I know he's an Ex-Ranger)

Here is the main point the Comissioner needs to get across to the thickheaded clueless one: "Shut your mouth and play" or continue to pop off and sit.The choice is yours

Maybe they suspended him because a questionable suspension is easier to sell to the rest of the sports world than a bloody retaliation on the ice. If that happened, all those in the "hockey is too violent" camp would be up in arms again.

After all, it's always about the PR and image...

Ordainarily(99% of the time), I would look the other way but in this case hopefully Bettman lays down the thick hand of selective Justice/Punishment.

Avery is a tool and a complete and utter embarassment to the league. He needs to understand that being "Sean Avery" is not part of the deal and his "15 minutes of fame" expired a while back.(Sorry Sandra I know he's an Ex-Ranger)

Here is the main point the Comissioner needs to get across to the thickheaded clueless one: "Shut your mouth and play" or continue to pop off and sit.The choice is yours

I don't totally disagree, but setting a precedent of suspending someone because they say something stupid could have long-term ramifications. Avery is not the only dope in the league.

However, I do disagree with your '15 minutes of fame' theory. While he may be over-paid right now, Avery is an extremely effective agitator when it comes to actual hockey. He's also very fast, and has a surprisingly good shot and good hands in close.

He pretty much won the series with the Devils last year single-handedly, as Brodeur was keeping one eye on Avery the whole time. Good to see Brodeur knocked off his pedestal for a change. Avery destroyed all that is holy in Devil-land. :D

Sandra

To funny suspended for the sloppy seconds comment. Has anyone ever been suspended for calling Iginla or Salvador the N word? The suspension is really for his style of play and not his comments. Hockey is trying to separate itself from thug style playing.

He is really no different than a Dennis Rodman or a Chad Johnson. It's all for attention.

They let all kinds of fights go, unsportsmanlike calls and cheap shots get hardly any kind of suspension for punishment, yet a guy makes a dumb comment and gets suspended. The NHL is a joke. The league office should look in the mirror and see some of the garbage that players pull on the ice.

You guys seem to be missing some key points here:

I'll start off by saying that I know very little about NHL players currently, and this guy is no exception. From what I've been reading though, this isn't exactly Mr. Humble or Mr. Nice Guy saying these comments. It seems to be that he is Mr. @sshole, so he has a record of going off at the mouth. If you have a bad track record, when stuff like this goes down you're going to get a more harsh punishment (unless you're a REALLY great player, and it doesn't look like this guy is the 2nd coming of Gretzky.)

The other main point is that this comment had NOTHING to do with hockey. If he had said that this other player skated like a f*g, that would be one thing. There he's addressing a hockey player directly about his performance on the ice. This is something completely unrelated to hockey, and it makes him sound like he's BETTER than all other NHL players, and that anyone who is not involved in his life anymore (in this case his ex gf) is just trash.

If anything, the NHL may be doing this guy a favor. As many enemies this guy had before, that number has been increased greatly and I doubt he made any converts on his own team with these comments. By making this guy sit out for a week, maybe things can die down a bit and people won't be gunning for him extra hard.

Fact is, what he did goes beyond classless. It goes into pompous, classless, and stupid. Such behavior deserves punishment if you're a public figure. Imagine if someone said something like this about you and the person you're with. Assuming you can't go and beat the hell out of him, wouldn't you expect some sort of retribution or governance thrown down by someone on your behalf?

I totally agree. It's silly, insensitive, whatever...but I don't think he should be suspended for a comment like that. You have guys all over a whole bunch of leagues using violence against women, it just doesn't seem right to suspend someone indefinitely over a comment.

I'm sure the fact that it's not his first 'comment' offense didn't help him, and I also have a feeling Stars management welcomed the suspension.

I really think Avery should be on the Rangers. A Stars fan is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but he seems like a fish out of water in Dallas. It just doesn't seem like his kind of city. He gets back into Canada where everyone cares about hockey again, a bunch of microphones are nearby, and he feels the need to be 'Sean Avery' again.

When Avery was in New York there was so much to keep him occupied, from the adoring fans to working at Vogue to everything else the city has to offer (including actresses), he had lots to do. He didn't say or do anything crazy during his time here, except of course drive Fatso Marty crazy...which was a good thing. Perhaps he's bored in Dallas.

Listen, send him back to the Rangers where he belongs...there have been way too many lifeless games at the Garden already. I've said on Ranger forums although our cap says we made a good decision not to sign Avery, we need an Avery type agitator like Ruuttu or Tootoo or anyone else who is cuckoo.

Sandra

Wait a minute Sandra, he came from DETROIT, and I'll take a good aggitator anytime, someone has to m take over for Maltby when he moves on, IF he ever moves on !

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)