Search Test...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
You might notice that under our logo there is a big Google Custom Search Bar.

I am doing a test to see which search is better.

For our regular search we use a search engine called Sphinx, now Sphinx is much better then the built in vBulletin search engine. We moved from the default vBulletin search engine to Sphinx about 2 years ago.

Tonight as you might have noticed there is a big Google Custom Search Bar under the logo. If you search would you please do us a favor and search with our regular search AND using this Google Search.

I am trying to see which one is better... most accurate and the fastest.

If you search and try both please let me know which one you feel is better, which gives better results...

If the Google one is better I will code it so that the search box in the navigation bar will be the new Google Custom Search one... and if you click on Advanced Search it will use the Sphinx Search.

I am doing this so that you get the best results and more easily find what you are looking for when you search here at SatelliteGuys. I will keep the Google Custom Search bar on the top for the next few days so you can test both search engines so you can help me decide which is best. :)

I was just going to PM you Scott, too. :D I was doing some stuff today and accidentally clicked on one of those links that tries to trick you, and thought oh crap I have installed something.

I tried searching for "Super Joey", and it took a second or two and returned somebody else's website (ad supported links?) up top. I don't like it.

The Google Search only searches the SatelliteGuys sites. However it is a Google search so like any Google Search Google puts their own ads in there.

I can get rid of those ads... or I can put my own ads in so we get paid when people search...

But to do that is expensive... Not sure if replacing their ads with other ads would pay for it.

Here is the pricing...

Google Site Search pricing
Search query limit (annual)Pricing (annual)
20,000$100
50,000$250
150,000$750
500,000$2,000
500,000+Contact sales

Just a suggestion: Can you make it so clicking a search result link (from the Google version) doesn't open a new page (or tab) ?

I've typically found that when forums use Google for the search function, it tends to be better than many built-in search tools. I see that you don't restrict it here, but a few sites (XDA or AVS ??) don't allow very short search terms, such as "OTA" or terms that are in fact very common for the topics they cover.

Anyway of knowing through vB how many search queries we get a year?

Just a suggestion: Can you make it so clicking a search result link (from the Google version) doesn't open a new page (or tab) ?
I am looking into that now. I wish it would let us put out logo in there so people would know their search was not hijacked by Google. :)

Using Firefox 28.0 loading pages is kinda jerky with the google search added. Looks like the page is sent and then the search box is added in afterward. Kinda annoying.

I am looking into that now. I wish it would let us put out logo in there so people would know their search was not hijacked by Google. :)

Was wondering the same thing, last night when I was testing it.

I never had an issue using the old search, are people really having that much trouble that you need to pay Google for another search option?

Klang - The way its in there now is just temporary. If we keep it, it will live where the current search box lives replacing the current search box.

Mike123abc - No plans on paying for it. Just trying to give people the best search possible. :) One of the biggest complaints we get is people saying they can't figure out how to search and find stuff on the site.

Just add a short bit of text that says... oh wait, you said if you implement it, it will replace the small search tool (in the toolbar)... Kinda hard to integrate text saying something like "Search results provided by Google".

The website http://www.odyclub.com/forums/ uses Google for their search tool and it doesn't open a pop-up window for the results. It's fully integrated into their normal page, so no perception that anything was hijacked.

They also have a "watermark" looking text inside the search box before you type into it that reads "Google custom search".

That search they use unfortunately is not available anymore for new setups, all new custom serves use this new style.

However with that said I did get it so searches are on one window now... and also our logo is displayed in the results page. :D

However with that said I did get it so searches are on one window now... and also our logo is displayed in the results page.
Fits in much better now. Can you use the same logo that's above ? May make it fit even better. I don't think people would think Google hijacked anything though. Aren't most people who frequent message forums about satellite TV a bit more savvy than the average person ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts