Searching for a show in the future with 'Guide'

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
My Hopper 3 guide provides 8 days worth of programming. I find using 'Search' box too cumbersome. My usual method is launching guide, highlighting a show on the channel I'm interested in and pressing forward button on remote for a second. Then, guide jumps into same time period next day. For instance, the time is 8:30 am where I live now. Long press on the button and guide shows tomorrow's 8:30 programming. So, I need to follow the same method 4 times for a show on Sunday.
Is it possible to go to near future (within 8 days) directly to make the search faster?

Reactions: LQQK
My Hopper 3 guide provides 8 days worth of programming. I find using 'Search' box too cumbersome. My usual method is launching guide, highlighting a show on the channel I'm interested in and pressing forward button on remote for a second. Then, guide jumps into same time period next day. For instance, the time is 8:30 am where I live now. Long press on the button and guide shows tomorrow's 8:30 programming. So, I need to follow the same method 4 times for a show on Sunday.
Is it possible to go to near future (within 8 days) directly to make the search faster?
On ViP receivers, you could enter the exact number of hours you wanted to skip forward (immediately followed by the right arrow) in order to get there faster. So for three days, for example, it would be 72-right arrow. Skipping backward worked the same way with the left arrow. This functionality seems to have been removed with the Hopper interface. :(

Another suggestion for a way to do this would be if Dish could somehow provide a way to navigate to the date box in the upper left of the guide. From there, you could select it to bring up a drop-down list, to go directly to the day you want. I have never actually seen that functionality, but it would be a good idea if Dish could find some way to implement it in a future software release.

I like your idea of entering or selecting the exact date in a box. Hoping here Dish representatives are going to read this thread.
I want to record upcoming European soccer championship games starting on Friday. Yes, I can wait (and will) until Thursday and record them as series.

I use Titan TV. It has a 14 day lead time and you can search to find a program by name then set it up on the Dish receiver.

Reactions: TheKrell
I like your idea of entering or selecting the exact date in a box. Hoping here Dish representatives are going to read this thread.
After I posted that, I thought of a relatively simple way that Dish could add this feature. While you are in the guide, when you press the Options button on the remote, there are currently only six options. The boxes for options number 7 through 9 are completely grayed out. So, Option 7 could have an icon that looks something like this:
Sunday​
Monday​
Tuesday​
Wednesday​
(Maybe only have the top of the word "Wednesday" be completely visible, and start to gradually fade out toward the bottom, indicating that there is more to the list.)
Below that icon, label it "Skip to Date."
Selecting the icon would bring up the drop-down list of every date currently available in the guide.

Of course, this would likely be more button presses than the current method. However, it would help reduce wear and tear on the Skip Forward button, eliminating the need to do multiple long presses while navigating the guide.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think the problem may be the delay in pressing the forward button for the next day as opposed to the older remotes (I can't recall the model numbers) that let you press the FFWD button for INSTANT next 24 hours. I find it not a problem at all using the older remotes because it all happens so fast. I press 3 times really fast and it instantly jumps super fast to 72 hours and then I can press the Skip Fwrd button for 3 hour jump and I am where I want to be in a jiffy.

Meanwhile the new remotes require a LONG press of the Skip Fwrd button and I do find that a bit of a drag, but honestly, I really have no problem getting to where I want to be and skip 24 hours or 3 hours with either remote. It is quite fast. Further, I have found that just skipping every 3 hours with a quick press on the new remotes works at great speed AT THE HOPPER 3, and not problem their. However, the experience of skipping hours in the guide does become tedious using my Joey 2's. I don't know how fast the Joey 3's skip hours.

If you can, sometimes in the info of the game or show, the "Showtimes" button is available and that MAY get you to future games, not necessarily the same game repeat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)