Searching signal problem + acquiring data

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjitkop

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Hi all,

we have been having technical problems for a couple of weeks now. What happens is that during the day from about 11:00 to about 5:00 we lose DirecTV completely on all 5 DirecTiVos (HDVR2s + R10s).

It first started on days that it was hot and our 5x8 multiswitch is in the attic. I believe it is heat related so I replaced our multiswitch (eBay is your friend :up ) but on the following hot days the same thing happened. Now I am thinking it may be the dual LNB but only when it gets hot. We have had this setup for years without any problems though.

Does this makes sense to anybody that the LNB could get hot? :confused:

Another (related?) problem is that for a couple of days now all our To Do lists have been empty and we all have the message that the TiVos are acquiring data and that it should take 1 to 2 days. It's been more than 2 days now with this message. I think it is related. What do you think?

It seems to me that it not a problem with the multiswitch because I replaced it with a new one. I doubt it would be a problem with cables because it works fine the rest of the time. If anything, we would get problems with the cables if they got wet inside but when it gets hot they should be dry.

I think I will order a couple of LNBs from eBay anyway.

By the way, all our 5 DirecTiVos are only using one tuner each. I know, bad. :p When we first got DirecTV, we had simple receivers and we never got wired for dual tuners. Now it's a good excuse to add lines to use our dual tuners. So it's not a waste to have another multiswitch now because I will be able to cascade them and get at least 10 outputs. :D

P.S. We didn't have any problems today because it didn't get too hot (it's 66 degrees right now).

If you are getting sat signal off and on, then you will have problems with your Guide data. That data comes from the sat and if its off for hours, it cant cache your program guide info properly.

As for the intermittant signal, have you called directv and have them update/replace your dish? Not a bad idea to see if you can get a free dish and multi-switch out of the deal as well as get the problem resolved. Move up to the Slimline so it will be future ready whenever you move to HD.

Is your multi-switch powered? Maybe its losing power during the day and therefore cutting your sat signal off.

check all of your connections for water damage.Water is your first enemy.......

check all of your connections for water damage.Water is your first enemy.......

I had that happen to an OTA line. I couldnt figure out what the heck was happening to the signal strength. Go to the line and it was like breaking off an aloe branch. Water just kept dripping out of it.

Wow, it's been a while since I last checked this forum! It's funny how life finds ways to keep you busy. ;)

Anyway, now that I'm here I just want to let you know that the problem was with the LNB. I decided to check the LNB before messing up with the cables. Sure enough, the plastic cover on the LNB was cracked and I guess humidity/condensation got in there at some times of the day and caused the problem.

This might help somebody in the future. :)

I bought a new LNB and problem solved. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)