SEC CHANNEL

Status
Please reply by conversation.
We get that you don't like sports. You keep telling us over and over and over and over again ...

But many people do. People will drop $29 or more to watch a PPV game, spend hundreds to attend a games in person, donate hundreds or thousands to a university to guarantee good seating at those games, etc. If Alabama fans or Georgia fans or Tennessee fans find out there are a few football games they can't watch because their carrier doesn't have the SEC Network, you can bet a sizable percentage of them will switch to a carrier that has it.

I expect the SEC Network will be just as successful at the BTN since they have such a good brand in football and basketball. I'm personally looking forward to it because I live in the northeast and never get to see those third tier games (they are blacked out on RSNs, and I'm not paying hundreds for GamePlan or FullCourt broadcast in shoddy SD).

Still I think the odds are in favor of DirecTV signing with the SEC Network before football season starts up. DTV knows that there are a lot of fans who will switch over this channel, way more than they have lost over the Pac-12 Network.

Yer kidding right?
I've probably been to more sporting than your entire family.
So back off.
Look, I don't give a rat's ass about what tyou like.
I say, make those who want these new college sports nets pay for them instead of the entire customer base.
Hundreds of thousands of dollars? Seriously? You're going to bring Alumni and wealthy donors into this argument? Please.
" If Alabama fans or Georgia fans or Tennessee fans find out there are a few football games they can't watch because their carrier doesn't have the SEC Network, you can bet a sizable percentage of them will switch to a carrier that has it."
"I'm not paying hundreds for GamePlan or FullCourt broadcast in shoddy SD".2014 Game plan was $114 'Scuse me?.....Oh, so you are fine with everyone else paying for it?.
"DTV knows"...
You insert a lot of if's and assumptions.
Like I said. I am all for these services being made available to those who want them. Just remember, you should pay for them if you use them. Not the entire subscriber base.

There are no local forecasts on the Directv feed of WeatherNation. It's just not true. There is only the red-button interactive forecasts and the national slides, like TWC on Dish. There are local forecasts on the local feeds, if you have one OTA. The red-button is not as detailed as the "real" local forecast, which is done by local affiliates not WN themselves.

Last edited:
How did tyhis SEC thread get changed to the Weather Channel discussion ?

Excellent question. Somehow my reply a few posts back went in this thread instead of the proper one. I noticed it just before I saw your post. I assume the mods will move it.

There is a lot going on right now with Disney and Directv in the last week, sounds like they have a good plan to work towards. Nothing new though.

I can't speak for rest of country...but after the announcement of Tenn first game definitely being on SEC Net...a lot of callers on sports radio were already calling providers to make sure they were going to have that game...I guarantee that most (including me) if not all would switch over that one game (against Utah State). I have lived in the northeast and even in Oklahoma and there is nowhere near the passion and commitment to college football like it is in the south. I don't care how much it costs.

Also...I think it was a great move for Dish to guarantee coast to coast coverage at launch....this alone could cost D* customers if they drag their feet on an announcement into the summer.

Also...I think it was a great move for Dish to guarantee coast to coast coverage at launch....this alone could cost D* customers if they drag their feet on an announcement into the summer.

I think the loss to D* as long as they have it on by the middle of August will be minimal.

If you note all the ESPN fans that stuck with Dish while "U" was gone off HD, I dont think the channel launching and not being on Directv is any more than a blip in the subscriber base... Granted its a little different since it was in SD, but the drama queens on these boards always seem to think something will be larger than it actually is.

I'm not seeing a big deal here. The SEC channel will not be taking programming from ESPN or the nets, so no one will be missing any important games.
My thinking is SEC will be showing the same stuff the Big 10 is showing. Such as women's sports and other non revenue sports. The stuff directed at niche viewers.
I get all the SEC football and basketball I need. I don't want to pay for a channel I may never watch. Have enough of those already.

If your team is on the SEC Network, then it's important...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

True because there are a lot of loyal Directv subs.

Same with DIsh. Ive been around long enough, and even been guilty at times. These channel "issues" never matter much to the provider, so at the end of the day you either leave or stay. I gave Dish one college fball season for ESPNU then left again. I'll give Directv this fball season to get WatchESPN and SEC Network worked out. If we come to start of the 2015 season and I still do not have them I might weigh my options. The "but" is, Im very happy with Directv and it would probably take more than that to go back to Dish. My wife and I can see our teams just about every week when we dont go to the game, so I can live with a week here or there. My option there is a site like justin.tv and I just watch it on my laptop :). I'll see it one way or another...

Personally, I would. Although Ive been with Dish before, so I know what I would be getting into.

Thing is, there is very little that I watch live that actually keeps me paying for sat service. Live college sports, SEC sports in particular is the main thing. I would rather stay with Directv, but if they do not offer it, and one of their competitors that I can get does....Ill go then consider my options again at a later time. If I am going to pay for it, I certainly prefer to get the content that I watch.

Edit: and it wouldnt be just one channel for me. Its access to watch espn (which I do have through a friends comcast account, but this would be easier on me and not dependent on him keeping service)

Well, Dish is set to be installed this saturday. While price (promos) was the main reason for the swap, this channel was another major factor. I did mention the uncertainty of D* not having the channel at launch to the CSR when I called to schedule the cutoff, and she said that she has heard that concern from several callers herself. Not that the statement of a single CSR means there will be a massive departure of subs by any means.

I started to wait it out, but the difference will be considerable on my bill even if D* does add it, and this way I get it and pocket the cash.

Of course, when the math comes back to the savings point, assuming D* has added this one, Ill look at coming back again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts