Second Reciever in Garage?

museic

Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Minnesota
Hi, I'm glad to find this site! Although a lot of the talk is above my head. So I hope someone could help me by explaining how to do this or maybe there is a link that shows how to do this?

Anyway I have Dish Network, with a Dish DVR that is a couple years old, and a Dish 500 satellite.

What I would like to do is to add another receiver (preferably with DVR capability) and put it in my garage for the football season. The building is probably 100 feet from the dish.

So I have some questions.

1. What type of receiver should I get (and how to get one? buy it or will Dish Network give it to me?)

2. What type of cable do I need to run out to the garage? Buried how deep?

3. How to hook it up to the satellite?

4. If I did the HD upgrade right now would they just give me 2 new HD receivers?

Sorry for all the questions!
Any advise?

Thanks!!!

No DISH won't "GIVE" you any satellie receivers as an existing customer. DISH will give you a break in upgrading your equipment called "dishing it up". Talk to a CSR about your desire for a garage receiver and/or a HDTV system and see what they suggest you can always say NO but you might also like the results.

with a 722 like boba suggests, then all that you would need is a run of RG-6 coax to the garage TV and a couple of diplexers for the UHF remote antenna. unless you want HD in garage then is gets complicated.

Thanks for the help guys!

So dare I ask how complicated if I want HD?

I should say that the "garage" is kind of the mancave! Its a shop with a place for guys to come over for football games. I'm thinking HD would be nice!

FWIW, DishPro equipment is spec'd out to 200'. So even if you put a receiver in the garage, that will work.

If you don't mind another dish on the garage go to the Dish Store at the top of the page and order another system with a receiver and just mount it there that way you don't have to worry about long cable runs or burying any cables.

I don't have any of the specific answers you asked for (sorry) but the ones so far seem overly complicated.

My neighbor has a pole mounted dish about 100' from his house, so this is basically working in reverse. You'd probably get a new dish to replace what you have now, connect the current wiring to one output and then make a buried run of RG6 coax from the second input to the garage and pop it through the siding or run it up a drain pipe and into eaves like any other dish installation. You could have two receivers or since it costs $6/mo more for one, I guess you could just move it from house to garage for weekends if that works. Both would/could be HD.

As for how much they want to charge you for this, I agree with Boba's first suggestion to just call up and ask. Or maybe, if the additional run to the garage would be an additional cost, speak with a local shop that you would hire to do that wiring and burying and let them do the negotiating with Dish for you in exchange for the work.

Mancave = Football. Football = HD. Basic physics. You could make it more complicated running the video output from 1 box in the house or adding another Dish, but all of the things necessary for this are standard so I say just do it right.

Hi, I'm glad to find this site! Although a lot of the talk is above my head. So I hope someone could help me by explaining how to do this or maybe there is a link that shows how to do this?

Anyway I have Dish Network, with a Dish DVR that is a couple years old, and a Dish 500 satellite.

What I would like to do is to add another receiver (preferably with DVR capability) and put it in my garage for the football season. The building is probably 100 feet from the dish.

So I have some questions.

1. What type of receiver should I get (and how to get one? buy it or will Dish Network give it to me?)

2. What type of cable do I need to run out to the garage? Buried how deep?

3. How to hook it up to the satellite?

4. If I did the HD upgrade right now would they just give me 2 new HD receivers?

Sorry for all the questions!
Any advise?

Thanks!!!
NUmber one.....if you go to HD your dish must be replaced.
Next, if you want HD in the man cave, you'll need a seperate receiver in the MC.
The name of the promotion to upgrade/add receivers is called "Dish N It Up"..
NOtes.......If you go with the DIU promo, the installation of the new Dish and replacement for your existing box will be at a nominal charge or depending on your customer status, could be free of out of pocket expense.
The additional receiver AND the burial of the cable to the garage IS NOT free.
I suggest you do this yourself.
Use solid copper conductor direct burial cable. RG-6
Direct burial cable is more costly but worth the additional expense.
Depth is not a huge factor. If you are crossing a turf area and you aerate your lawn, bury the cable at least 6 to 8 inches deep. The reasons for this are obvious. In fact, I recommend burying TWO runs. One to use now, and one more as a spare. This way ,if the original fails, you have another one to use.
If you really want to go balls out, use electrical conduit. 3/4" PVC conduit(which will easily accomodate TWO runs of cable) is not that costly. In fact you can probably get it at about $4-$5 per length( 10ft). If there is an electrical supply house nearby, check their prices vs Home Depot and Lowes. You may get a better deal from the supply house.
You may PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks for all the help everyone! It seems there are lots of options, but I think I'm going to do what dishcomm is suggesting. The extra satellite isn't a bad idea, but there are too many trees over there, so that why I wanted to bury cable...

Anyway I'm going to call tomorrow and get the HD upgrade, which I didn't realize came with a new dish. So thats good to know. I think I'll get some direct burial RG-6 and do that myself. I'm thinking the vip 612 seems like it fits the bill for out there... Or is there a better option? Suggestions?

One other question is where is the best (cheapest) place to get the second receiver? Ebay? A sponsor of this site? Or should I try to get Dish to give me a deal?

Thanks again guys!

One more question. Do I need 2 RG6 cables run out there to be able to tape something on the dvr and watch something at the same time?

Not if Dish installs a 1000.2 or 1000.4 which have built-in DishPro Plus switches. This allows dual tuner receivers to get all satellite programming via a single cable. However, it's good practice to bury more than you need since the cable is probably much cheaper than the labor.

So I just measured the total run to where the tv is going to be and its about 160 ft. Will I have any problems with rg6 cable? I've been reading and it seems that other people have gone a lot farther with rg6. Or should I consider rg11?

Cheapest thing would be to do the 'dish n it up' offer to go to HD.

That will get you a HD-DVR and whatever you need as far as dishes/ switches / etc.

The installer will probably charge you so much per foot to trench it to the garage. ( I don't know the exact details, but it's something like $x per foot after 75' )

Keep your existing DVR that's in your house now for a year. Then you can upgrade that through another 'dish n it up' offer. You'll have to do with SD for awhile, but you will save some money.

I would recommend using 1 inch PVC pipe and run the RG6 in that. I have gone 200 feet with RG6 in 1 inch PVC and had no problems with the signal. The PVC will allow you to replace the RG6 if ever needed and you can also run Cat 7 for telephone or internet. The PVC also provides some protection from rocks and if someone happens to dig in the area of the run.

So I called DN and they gave me 2 612's with the HD upgrade. Just what I wanted. Guys coming out tomorrow to install it. I don't expect him to dig the trench, but I'll just make sure I know how to hook up to the sat.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts