second tv connection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdavids480

Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
What is the best and easiest way to connect a second tv to a single receiver? It will be about 40 feet from the receiver.

Connect a 2x1 Splitter to the TV out on the Rec, connect 1 out from the splitter to the TV at the Rec and the other out to the 40' TV. Both will need to be on channel 3 or 4

No need for a splitter if the TiVo is connected to the local TV using the s-video/composite output. Then the RF output would be used for the remote TV.

Is yours a full-HD setup, where the DirecTV receiver is HD-capable and both tv's are HDTVs? If so, I'm currently considering the same thing. Supposedly, the DirecTV HD receivers output from all connections simultaneously. I use an HDMI cable to my main tv and I thought I would run a component (R-G-B) cable for video and left/right RCA audio cable from the DirecTV receiver to the second tv (about 30 feet distance for me). My second tv wouldn't need 5.1 surround audio like the main tv (connected to an audio system in the main room), so this should work fine when I add the second tv shortly. I also heard that HDMI is less reliable over longer distances (more than 20 feet maybe), so component might be the better choice for the longer run.

Most any HDMI cable out there should be fine for a 20 ft. run, and fine for much longer runs than that too.

But there is no RF out on the receiver, only HDMI and s-video and composite.
Sorry, I assumed incorrectly (due to the second post), since you didn't say what receiver you have. So in your case, use the HDMI for the local TV (if it's supported) and the composite for the remote TV. I've assumed again that your remote TV isn't an HDTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts