Security Camera system recommendations

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I'm looking at putting a camera system into a location, it is residential for the most part. Just not occupied all the time, it does have an internet connection but we would like to have it store the video on a hard drive there. I would like the ability for the system to send us notifications via the internet and also be viewable via the internet over Android and Windows PC's.

I was looking at something like this... looks like it comes with 4 cameras expandable to 8 cameras.

Newegg.com - Night Owl Poseidon-45 8 Channel H.264 Level Kit Solution

Anybody have any recommendations? There are just SOOOO many choices out there. I don't want to buy some piece of junk that is hard to operate. And also worried that the cameras are garbage.

We had one installed at our plant several months ago that does what you want, but since I am out of the office I do not have the brand or specs.

When I get back if I can remember I will send you the info.

If you install, you will most likely be surprised exactly what goes on when you are not around. Certainly been an eye opener for us.

That one looks way better than the system I installed at my house. I have a 4CH Defender system. I works great, can be viewed from a smart phone, ect. It cannot be viewed over the internet on a MAC, cannot be expanded to 8 cameras, and cost more. If the reviews look good, then I would pull the trigger on that sucker. Keeps us posted.

Check out Surveillance System | CCTV Surveillance | CCTV Cameras they have good pricing and daily deals.

I have a 8 camera Zmodo system and it's ok. Took some work to get i t so I could view it on my phone but it works well. I have mine set to email me whenever there are changes in "spots" on the camera. So if someone walks up to my front door, back door, around the two doors to my hot tub etc. It will send me a picture and in addition it will automatically record them as well.

The camera that come with any of the kits.. work but the PQ sucks. Even on the expensive cameras the colors are off. Most cameras have IR emitors so you can see in the dark. They do work but a word of warning in the Summer Time spiders like to build their webs on the cameras lens. This is due to the IR emittors which not only provides heat for the spider but the IR also helps attract bugs. Once thing I have found though is that the spiders clean up their mess every morning so you wake up with no spider webs on your lens. Of course at night it sometimes make some of the cameras useless because instead of seeing what you want to see it instead see a spider sitting there.

Below are 3 pics from my security system.

1st one is a picture at the front door. My son is coming in the door. You notice I have a flag hanging up, this flag does not set off the alarm as where the flag hits is not one of the pixels on the screen I set as an alarm area. This way I dont get a million pictures of my flag blowing all day.

2nd picture is me coming out of my Hot Tub Gazebo. There are alarm triggers on both sets of doors. This one is a more expensive camera and has good IR lighting at night.

3rd picture is from in my Hut Tub Theater, you can see anyone coming in from the front door or the sliding glass door on the left.

You will want a DVR system that is expandable to support a Pan Touch Zoom camera. I have one of these Globe camera on the outside of my house and it contantly pans back and forth so I can see from my front door all the way around (so I can see my entire driveway and garage) and as far left as the wall of the house where all my dishes are mounted. I am able to move this camera from remote including on my phone and iPad. So sometimes if I am waiting for the mail or a package I will point the camera to the mailbox and get alerted when the mail is here. :D

The install running all the wires was a pain but once it is done you set it and forget it. The Zmodo is not very user friendly so luckily I am an IT guy and was able to figure it out.

Attachments

• CH02_12_06_24_17_29_29.jpg
    CH02_12_06_24_17_29_29.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 168
  • CH03_12_06_24_19_53_58.jpg
    CH03_12_06_24_19_53_58.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 00EA21639D2F(HotTub)_m20120625071023.jpg
    00EA21639D2F(HotTub)_m20120625071023.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 141
Camera resolution will vary from 420 at the lower end up to 700 TVL. I suspect the included cameras will be fine for daylight stuff but may not have enough light or sensitivity for good night work. The good thing is that you can add better cameras where you need them and use the older once in addition.

It does say D1 recording. That's good. It does not say at what framerate. So I suspect 7.5 fps.. Not real time but good enough.

What you get depends on how you will react to activity on the cameras. Most law enforcement people don't seem to be too interested in video unless it is a dead certainty.

The cameras that I use are the new HD camcorders with fixed zoom and they seem to work better than our multi-camera system when it comes to identifying what's going on (too much territory to cover). The cameras have built-in 250GB or larger hard drives and can serve up e-mails as well as a relay closure for a conventional alarm system.

HD cameras may well be the end of automated PTZ cameras.

Costco and Harbor Freight usually have some pretty screaming deals on these rigs and unless you buy GE, they're probably all made from the same plans in factories all over China.

Even the best IR cameras seem to need a lot of ambient light to really figure out whodunnit.

I have done a few systems lately including 1 for myself. Home - Skywalker Communications has great prices, not only on surveillance equipment but other satellite & av related stuff. Does require a dealer account which is no big deal. Cameras are very important, Retina a brand offered by skywalker & manufactured by Sony are very top of the line & reasonably priced. Get the 700 TVL, they are excellent cameras & have incredible infrared capabilities, IR Distance: 40m / 131.23ft (with 42 unit IR LED). Buying your components individually is imo the way to go & leaves room for customization. They sell Siamese cable on a 500' reel in a box that lets you customize your runs. As far as internet capabilities I had to do some homework which wasn't as bad as I thought. My system records all the time to a dvr, I have alarm enabled which takes jpeg several pictures when motion is detected & emails them to me. I also have full remote capabilities via internet, playback, change settings, etc., including live view on android phone. I did sign up for Managed DNS | Outsourced DNS | Anycast DNS for $20 a year which gives me my own domain without worry of changing ip's as my internet service is on a dynamic ip. I have learned a lot over the last few weeks & if I can be of any assistance just shoot me a pm & I'd be more than happy to share what I've learned.

The cameras that I use are the new HD camcorders with fixed zoom and they seem to work better than our multi-camera system when it comes to identifying what's going on (too much territory to cover). The cameras have built-in 250GB or larger hard drives and can serve up e-mails as well as a relay closure for a conventional alarm system.

Link please.

Check out Surveillance System | CCTV Surveillance | CCTV Cameras they have good pricing and daily deals.

I have a 8 camera Zmodo system and it's ok. Took some work to get i t so I could view it on my phone but it works well. I have mine set to email me whenever there are changes in "spots" on the camera. So if someone walks up to my front door, back door, around the two doors to my hot tub etc. It will send me a picture and in addition it will automatically record them as well.

Just making more decisions for me... going to have to pull the trigger in a few days here. I have been looking some more and I can definitely see you get what you pay for. Thank you so far on the info! Keep it coming.

So what resolutions are the cameras from the pics?

In regards to the receiver, you might want to check reviews for customer service, some companies are pretty bad. As to Q-see, I can attest that they are quite good.
Zmodo sucks for most people.
Dan

Just to follow up... we ended up going with this at the location:

Costco - Q-See 8 Channel Security System with 1 TB Hard Drive and 4 High-Resolution Cameras

Awesome price! I found just the DVR without a 1 TB HD for more than the Costco price. This came with the DVR w/1TB, 4 60 foot wires, 4 cameras, and even the 8 power distribution panel. We couldn't pass it up.

The cameras are pretty decent, I was actually impressed with the night range for being "included" cameras. We also got two other cameras as well and they seemed to be a tad better at night but you do get what you pay for. The DVR is great since it works with several different browsers, apps for just about all the handhelds out there, the even have a tablet version for Android. They also have a Windows version that doesn't use the web browser, it has a little more power to do things. The only negative thing I can say about the system is the wires they include only have a 5 inches after the split to two wires for video/power. So that only leaves you a 10 inch spread. You have to be very careful on mounting the power distribution box where the wires will reach the back of the DVR too. Wish they would have done like some other wires and had it split like 16 inches up, that would give you plenty of room. But it was a minor issue...and that's the only one so I was real happy and so was the owner with how smooth things went.

He's looking to get a couple of more cameras now, to fill up all 8 channels, there's just SOOOO many choices.

Any of these are IP cameras? I've been tasked with researching this for my workplace and would rather not have to run a bunch of new cabling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)