Self install...With the help of an stupid installer

Voom Voom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 9, 2004
It all started on March 25, I set up an install for April 10th from 8-12 well the installer finally showed up about 2:30 (not a big surprise). After about 90min the installer found a spot "between the trees" (I own 10 acres in Hayden Lake, ID), so he gave me the Voom equipment and a spool of quad shield RG6 and left. So I started digging...found a pole some cement mix, and a level. I planted the pole and a day later put the dish on it aimed for 99? and the highest signal I could get was a 12... I called the installer "you must be doing something wrong, I can come back on the 14th at 12:00 to do it right". By now I'm slightly aggravated.

The 14th comes around the installer shows up at 3:30, busts out his ChannelMaster 1008IFD gets the strongest signal "that should do it now you should have a signal between 30-40" walk in the house and wouldn’t you know it a signal of 12. Now i'm very aggravated.

The installer crawled all over the 10 acres and found the "only other spot that will work" so the next day I started by cutting down about 5 trees close to 100ft tall, lots of brush that he pointed out, dug another hole, planted another post mounted dish and got a signal of 13!!! By now i’m very pissed off.

I went to Big5 bought a $9 compass, aimed for 99 degrees found a spot, cut down 4 bushes chopped a tree down to about 10ft tall, put the mount on the tree with 2-4'' lag bolts, put the dish on the mount aimed...got a signal of 48!! (Of course that’s before the update now the signal is around 95)

So I finally activated on May 2nd

Cost of my Voom installation
2-10ft Poles $5
2-60 LBS of Concrete $10
4-Line amps $44
1-1000ft spool of RG6 $100
2-lower backaches Free
Lots of headaches Free
Another month of Dish $55

Crystal Clear High Definition
Television that measures
300 inches with my NEC
MultiSync MT1065 Priceless

I have had the normal problems with Voom but that’s no big deal I was expecting that it’s just too bad that Installs INC. sucks. They should let smart people like us install them ourselves.

And buy the way I have had no problem with the OTA channels with the stealth antenna

I can dig it. Sorry--couldn't resist.

Way to go on the self-installation. I'll bet Joe Harkins would want to know the name of the installer that didn't install the equipment.

Hey Thanks, Ya I bet he would like to know that his installers are slackers and dont know what they are talking about

I would suggest calling voom and see if they can give you a $20 credit off your bill for your work.

Cost of my Voom installation
2-10ft Poles $5
2-60 LBS of Concrete $10
4-Line amps $44
1-1000ft spool of RG6 $100
2-lower backaches Free
Lots of headaches Free
Another month of Dish $55

Cost of Crystal Clear High Definition: Priceless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)