Service Restored to 129 Satellite!

If this is supposed to be a temporary situation that should be fixed in the next few hours, why would they go through all the trouble of removing mappings, etc.? They even removed the HD channels from my custom channel list.

So that people won't keep getting stuck on a signal loss screen...

If this is supposed to be a temporary situation that should be fixed in the next few hours, why would they go through all the trouble of removing mappings, etc.? They even removed the HD channels from my custom channel list.
It was actually VERY SMART of them to remove them.

This way lets say you had something set to record on USA Network on channel 105 in HD, when it was time to fire the timer it would tune to 105 since there was no 105 HD channel map in the stream. Meaning you could record your show...

Additionally when flipping through channels you wouldn't get the Complete Signal loss screen and have your box lock up.

In addition doing this meant that customers did not need to go into their settings and change their prefrences from HD to SD..

While it did not work for everything (such as some locals) it prevents a lot of problems and calls.

Well said Scott...

EDIT: lol radio...

Yeah I think I've got like 40 posts in this thread...

EDIT2: Just checked... Exactly 40 posts. lol...

I have no locals at all. They weren't even in HD to begin with. I just i'm just one of the lucky ones that have locals on this bird?

If your locals are only on 129... Then yes...

My SD locals are working fine, but I'm watching HD via OTA...

Does anyone know what's going on yet?

Did the bird get taken out by Martians or what?

Is it a terrestrial problem?

Not 100%, but from what I've deciphered (everything's getting buried in posts,) it seems the sat got turned the wrong direction, and they are working to turn it back... Possibly a gyro/hardware issue, maybe just a software issue... Someone else I'm sure knows more about it... No real ETA on when it'll be fixed, last update was 4 hours, and that was an hour ago...

It was actually VERY SMART of them to remove them.

This way lets say you had something set to record on USA Network on channel 105 in HD, when it was time to fire the timer it would tune to 105 since there was no 105 HD channel map in the stream. Meaning you could record your show...

Additionally when flipping through channels you wouldn't get the Complete Signal loss screen and have your box lock up.

In addition doing this meant that customers did not need to go into their settings and change their prefrences from HD to SD..

While it did not work for everything (such as some locals) it prevents a lot of problems and calls.
My timers are now showing a mythical OTA (yellow) channel as being what will be recorded. Good thing its a slow timer night for me.

Geesh Bob you work in this industry.. Redundant uplinks have nothing to do when there is an issue with the satellite itself, which is the issue we have here.

In addition this satellite is not owned and operated by Echostar / DISH Network, it is leased from SES Americom. DISH is basiclly waiting for SES to get control of the bird, fully check out the bird and before they can reload the satellite back up.

Did they try turning it off and turning it back on again?

This is a weird coincidence. I had a live chat on Dish site this morning to have a dish installed on the house I'm moving to. A little later I noticed my locals were gone. I spent a half hour online to try to do a live chat again to see if they goofed up my account some how and deleted my locals. Their web site is so jammed it takes forever to load. A message finally popped up on the live chat window saying HD channels are down and they are aware of the problem. Then I came here and found this thread. Why didn't I just come here in the first place? I'm stoooopid!