Servo motor flip/flopping

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
It was suggested I try this question here. I have a little issue with my 8Ft mesh dish and the 920. With the 920 off (clock showing) and my SV 8000 set to the PBS HD channel, there are sometimes when the signal will go out, come back, go out, come back, etc. When this happens, all I have to do is turn on the 920. PBS holds and plays great. When this problem is taking place, I can go out to the BUD and listen. I can hear the servo motor activate, pause, activate again, and continue to do this. If I go back in the house and turn on the 920, the servo stops this “flip/flop” action. The big question here would be should the servo motor be doing all this “moving” when the 920 is turned off???
RT.

This happens on mine also. When you turn the unit off, it doesn't really turn completely off. The receiver is still try to pick up data from satellites. The flip/flop may be for a purpose while the unit is off, like trying to reset the lnb for the best signal or looking the guide data to download. Or maybe its a software glitch. I just leave my unit on when I slaving off it. Good luck.

I did some maintenance on the BUD today and noticed the very same thing going on with my polar rotor even though the 922 was turned off. I believe it's searching for a signal as I have noticed this many times before, and up to several years ago the same thing. My old 920 did the same thing before it died of old age. I do not know of any way to stop it from happening except unplug the 922 which is a no-go for me. I have not noticed it in the past with other analog receivers. It's no wonder the little blue boxes wear out as quick as they do.

Thanks guys. At least I know I was not nuts hearing that motor flipping. The searching for a signal could be something. I do not subscribe to anything on the BUD so it just may be "looking" for something. I never had this happen if the unit is "on". Only when "off" or the clock showing. I guess it would not make much difference if I just left it in the "on" position. Without any subscription, the clock is out in left field all the time so it is not of much use. Oh, I use it for FTA with my SV 8000.

RT.

The servo changes polarity when in off mode because it is looking for DC-2 signals to home in on and sit on to receive updates. VC-2 IRD's were the same. If you want the polarity stable you need to leave the 4D on.

I remember years ago reading about this subject. If I recall correctly, there was a modification to the servo motor wiring involving the installation of a capacitor to solve the issue. I believe the issue was more than switching V/H but more of a pulsing voltage on the line.

I remember years ago reading about this subject. If I recall correctly, there was a modification to the servo motor wiring involving the installation of a capacitor to solve the issue. I believe the issue was more than switching V/H but more of a pulsing voltage on the line.

This has nothing to do with that. That was caused by some servo motors hunted because of noise, the cap filtered that . I believe they started building the cap into the servo's themselves.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)