SES-2 problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Toonses

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
sunny south
I'm reasonably versed at dish pointing, but I seem to be stumped on this one. Dish is a 10' mesh with a dual KU/Cband lnb. I am using a meter as well as a Birdog. I am able to easily lock onto Galaxy 16 and Galaxy 17 with the cband. Using the ku lnb, I can get a fairly good signal on SES-2. I am not able to tune in SES-2 with the cband lnb.

I've used this lnb and reciever on another dish before, didn't have any problem with my tuning.

Any ideas?

Try TP 3842 H 6150 as it's regular DVB-S/Mpeg

Unsure what you mean by "I can get a fairly good signal on SES-2. I am not able to tune in SES-2"

Generaly If your signal is strong on the Ku side, you should be spot on for Cband. What receiver are you using? Which lnbs (or lnbf)?

I find SES-2 c-band is a little weaker than G16 and G17 c-bands. That, combined with the guess that you are trying to receive a DVB-S2 signal on SES-2 plus it sounds like you are using a cheap chinese-made c/ku LNBF combo which usually favors one band at the expense of the other -- and you probably are favoring Ku-band making C-band not as good -- means you aren't getting enough signal strength to lock the DVB-S2 signal on SES-2 C-band.

I find SES-2 c-band is a little weaker than G16 and G17 c-bands. That, combined with the guess that you are trying to receive a DVB-S2 signal on SES-2 plus it sounds like you are using a cheap chinese-made c/ku LNBF combo which usually favors one band at the expense of the other -- and you probably are favoring Ku-band making C-band not as good -- means you aren't getting enough signal strength to lock the DVB-S2 signal on SES-2 C-band.

It is one of the cheap Chinese-made combos. I'm trying one band at a time. The same lnb has worked fine on a different dish at a different location.

easily lock onto Galaxy 16 and Galaxy 17 with the cband
Just for a reference- - What kind of Quality readings? Brand/model of receiver? [[Transponder freq-Quality]]
different dish at a different location.
Different is different. If not identical, it's hard to not to have differences. Just because it worked there, doesn't necessarily mean it will work everywhere-every time
I'm trying one band at a time
Are you tuning/tweaking the LNBF position for maximum Quality on each band individually? I.E: tune up C band on 97, disregarding the Ku performance, then try 87? Rarely with these C/Ku LNBF's do both bands 'peak' at the same physical location of the LNBF. Don't think you'll find more than a couple of members that would say their dual band LNBF is peaked on both bands. Most favor one band or the other. Some 'shoot for' a compromise. But if you're looking at the RTN(RTV???) mux you're going to have to get the utmost C band performance. It's a troublesome one for many members.

But if you're looking at the RTN(RTV???) mux you're going to have to get the utmost C band performance. It's a troublesome one for many members.

On 87W, this mux is a real pain for me. If I'm just a little off, it's not coming in. Right now it doesn't come in for me, lost it sometime during this past winter. Probably will get it back when I go out and tweak the dish a bit once it warms up a little more outside.

If you can be specific about the model of your receiver and LNBF that would be good, then people responding could tell what transponders you could lock, DVB-S2, etc. 3747 V 5000 is the one which locks easiest for me on 87W.

Yes, the signals and qualities of every satellite are at 2 degree spacing and variable; amc3 or 2! They are still broadcasting on old tp's. :) which have lower costs and accrual feeds. Though the new sides of a satellite are ku; they too have a signal level and width power minimum!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts