SES 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I believe they had a failure of the KU side antennas complete deployment, right after the sat was placed in orbit. So, they deployed partially, giving the odd skew.

At least I think i read that somewhere.

NewsTruck who worked in an uplink truck posted a while back about the skew:

The guy who works for SES who posts on the Fridge says that it was set at an angle as an attempt to combat rain fade. It didn't work.

I don't know if I buy that. I can't imagine why a company engaged in the aerospace industry couldn't come up with enough computer power to simulate the effect rather than just going ahead and launching a satellite based on an unproven theory!

I would like to know more about the physical/mechanical construction of a satellite, and how they are positioned and deployed.

Had always assumed that since the operators could adjust the position of the bird "in the box" that they could also "rotate" the bird (or just the transponders) to adjust the polarization, if need be.

Guess that if the sat has C & Ku band transponders, and if they actually, say, "fold them out" of the body of the sat after it is placed in orbit, and in this case (103W) the C-band portion folded out correctly and the Ku band didn't, that could have been the problem.

If I am correct in thinking that the sat operators can rotate the whole satellite (and therefore change the transponder orientation), they may have had a choice on 103W...either do what they did and leave the sat oriented with a 26 degree Ku misalignment...or rotate it to where the Ku alignment is correct and have the 26 degree issue with the C-band side.

Very interesting thread, this is something I have wondered about since I first learned of it. :)

Obviously C-band and some other Ku deployed normally.
So, the satellite is flown in it's standard configuration, unaltered.

Satellites *can* lock Polaris, for initial positioning.
But *do* they track the North Star long-term or for stability?
Kinda depends on what current thinking was, back when the satellite was designed.

Anyway , two points:
- maybe the bird can't be flown skewed due to the NS sensor?
- did the user of the skewed subsystem get a discount? ;)

'Slewing' the satellite to correct the ku skew would also, probably, place the solar array in a plane that doesn't optimize its performance. Think that would, or could, be a major consideration.

I have to wonder why they would wait until the dish is parked in position before applying to use it. My boss would eat me alive if I put something into orbit without permission to use it. :confused:
Steve

I have to wonder why they would wait until the dish is parked in position before applying to use it. My boss would eat me alive if I put something into orbit without permission to use it. :confused:
Steve

It's been in orbit for a couple years, just not in the 103w slot. They need permission to fire it up THERE.

Wonder what they are going to do with AMC-1 if the c band side is still good just make it a C band sat only. Just an idea on saving money.

Dan Rose

SES could always just ignore the FCC if they had to.

The United States has no jurisdiction over space. Especially space that is located over the equator, not even North America.

But SES is playing nice. It's just a formality.

SES could always just ignore the FCC if they had to.

The United States has no jurisdiction over space. Especially space that is located over the equator, not even North America.

But SES is playing nice. It's just a formality.

The FCC has jurisdiction over electronic transmissions (spectrum) in the US of A. That includes satellite. So yes, they DO have to give permission, otherwise the satellite is a dead hulk and can't transmit through US airspace. http://telecommunications.uslegal.com/fcc-regulations/

How exactly does the FCC intend to stop rogue satellite transmissions from reaching American air space? Do they have some kind of sci-fi wireless interference shield which can block all rogue wireless signals from passing American borders?

How exactly does the FCC intend to stop rogue satellite transmissions from reaching American air space? Do they have some kind of sci-fi wireless interference shield which can block all rogue wireless signals from passing American borders?

What does any of this rant have to do with the FCC, or with SES3 going online? Say what you want, the FCC has jurisdiction here, plain and simple.

they can't block the signals, but they can suspend your uplink license, downlink license and/or fine you for communicating to/from a sat that isn't on the FCC's list of foreign-licensed satellites that have been vetted for interference possibility and approved for FCC licensees to communicate with.

Also, with license issues the FCC may even deny you from acquiring licensees for new downlink dishes, sat uplinks or acquiring other companies with licenses that need to be transferred.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts