SES1 at 101W: Gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Where are you? I am on the 44dBW line of the footprint. My reference chart indicates a 1.2m dish with a 0.6dB LNB is needed to receive 44dBW. My LNB is 0.3dB, so I figured that's why I am receiving 101W even with a 1m dish.
According to the info I have using Satbeams.com website I'm only at a 46dbw area where I am in TX. If you go to the site and register then you can go to the charts and it will give you exactly what min size and the dbw for your location. I think that you need a larger dish.

whatchel1 said:
BTW the brand that I have is a WSI. Don't you sell that brand and use their specs?

No. Satellite AV does not offer this brand, but we are familiar with the manufactures who provide products for the brand.

Satellite AV is a research, development, distribution and warranty support company. We import some of our products into North America for wholesale / retail distribution while other products are developed for international partners projects.

It is doubtful that your LNBF is anywhere near a 0.3dB NR. The NR of an LNBF has much less effect on the reception of standard DVBS QPSK signals than the dish size. A LNBF can not make-up for lack of signal that is not captured or reflected. Dish size and surface accuracy are much more important factors.

LNBF specs are often embellished to decrease the noise ratio and increase the gain, but there are many other variables in an LNBF performance that are never hyped in marketing. Bottom line is that quality built .8 usually outperforms .1, .2, .3, .4dB NR labeled LNBFs. Wait until more signals go to 8/16psk. Then we will see how well these LNBFs perform!

My experience agrees with this completely. See my review and comparison of a WSI Ku LNBF in the review section of this site for more detailed information.

I don't think my line amp is suitable due to its upper cutoff; it was designed for cable applications.

The universal LNB is designed for operation from 10.7 to 12.75GHz. It seems to work fine. I got it since it was available (local pickup), inexpensive, and I thought I might use it for Telstar 12 at 15W. But the lower frequency transponders on that satellite have a footprint only over Europe.

Not sure an in line amp will be worth the cost. They may boost the desired signal but also boost any noise as well. Plus by being in the line they consume power and reduce signal strength so you don't get the full gain you were looking for. Maybe they are good for a very clean and strong signal (but then why would you need it?) but not a marginal set up perhaps with other issues.

You've probably nailed it in looking for a bigger dish given your location. 200 feet of cable is certainly not helping when you do grab a signal, a bit surpised your stb can power the line, motor and lnb at all.

Not sure an in line amp will be worth the cost. They may boost the desired signal but also boost any noise as well. Plus by being in the line they consume power and reduce signal strength so you don't get the full gain you were looking for. Maybe they are good for a very clean and strong signal (but then why would you need it?) but not a marginal set up perhaps with other issues.

You've probably nailed it in looking for a bigger dish given your location. 200 feet of cable is certainly not helping when you do grab a signal, a bit surpised your stb can power the line, motor and lnb at all.

"Not sure a line amp will be worth the cost."
Maybe he could find one at a hamfest. That used one on fleabay sure looks forelorn with broken tabs which is why I said make an offer.

Maybe he might find a 6ft offset dish at some GM dealership up that way? One that's no longer being used for Mr. Goodwrench training?

LNBF specs are often embellished to decrease the noise ratio and increase the gain, but there are many other variables in an LNBF performance that are never hyped in marketing. Bottom line is that quality built .8 usually outperforms .1, .2, .3, .4dB NR labeled LNBFs. Wait until more signals go to 8/16psk. Then we will see how well these LNBFs perform!

so true. I've tried some of the so called .2 LNB's and my old Primestar LNB in a few cases beat it on the quality meter

"...Maybe he might find a 6ft offset dish at some GM dealership up that way? One that's no longer being used for Mr. Goodwrench training?

I assure you when I move around my local city and rural areas, I keep my eyes open looking for and take note of dishes I see, especially those looking forlorn. I doubt, for example, iceberg has bought each piece of his numerous pieces of hardware. Since my job partially involves going to hamfests, I will keep a look out for satellite miscellanea at those events too. I have become seeker and gatherer of good stuff.

Maybe he might find a 6ft offset dish at some GM dealership up that way? One that's no longer being used for Mr. Goodwrench training?

Just make sure you carry a "good wrench" with you on your dish hunt, because the mounting bracket bolts are liable to be frozen with rust ;) ...

And a hammer. Sometimes a quick single smack square on a rusted bolt will (shock) break the set.
I have done it many times.

And a hammer....

I always carry the universal tool.

Re-oriented the dish from scratch today. SES1 tps are now more solid: strongest are TRWAM and BVN peaking 45% and fairly stable signals. Great pictures. Pentagon weaker but picture is clear. Will give up on History until I get a bigger dish.

...Will give up on History until I get a bigger dish.

Never give up! Today, I took the gods of FTA with me and re-oriented the dish with such precision that History is at this moment a solid 22%. On this Coolsat 7000, 22% means crystal clear image without any breakups: essentially perfect viewing. All other transponders on SES1 are also crystal clear and stronger than History. Persistence pays off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts