Setting up a C-band Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andrew K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Akron, Ohio
I'm tempted to get into C-band with a 6' solid dish. My idea is to get a large bucket, fill it with concrete, and mount a pole inside the concrete. I want to use this to set on my back deck and move it around when I want to so that I can point at different satellites. I have a clear view of everything west of 83W from my deck.

Has anyone tried this idea? If so, does it work well, and how much concrete do I need or what size bucket?

Does anyone receive the Disney Channel on C-band?

I'm tempted to get into C-band with a 6' solid dish. My idea is to get a large bucket, fill it with concrete, and mount a pole inside the concrete. I want to use this to set on my back deck and move it around when I want to so that I can point at different satellites. I have a clear view of everything west of 83W from my deck.

Has anyone tried this idea? If so, does it work well, and how much concrete do I need or what size bucket?

Does anyone receive the Disney Channel on C-band?
In this case a bucket wouldn't cut it . You need something like this. Others with active C-band can chime in about Disney.

No Disney on C-band FTA, refer to the list at the top of the page to see what all you get.

Actually, a 6' dish in a 15mph wind has more horsepower than you. So you would need a bucket of concrete bigger than you can move. So, bad idea. If you want a fixed dish that you can move at times, go for that. Instead of a pole they use an adjustable frame. The frame could be easily secured to the deck, or weight it down with a bunch of sand bags.

The link isn't working.

The link works for me. Anyway, I have attached a picture below. I see FAT Air has provided a different, link but similar product.

Attachments

• FRM125.jpg
    FRM125.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 236
The link works for me. Anyway, I have attached a picture below. I see FAT Air has provided a different, link but similar product.

That can hold a 6' dish? My wife probably wouldn't like that on our deck. How wide is it? Perhaps I could plant a garden in that square shape to make it look nice.

would strongly suggest finding more stable mounting method, a bucket unlikely would hold the weight of a 6' dish and any wind would effect calibration
i would suggest building some type of platform to mount pole to or even the deck itself

I'm considering a dish with a mount like this. I'm not sure, but is this specific mount called a "ground mount"? Sadoun's website isn't clear on that, and if I ordered a dish, I would be interested in one like this.

Iceberg, I saw some pictures of your various dishes you posted on your deck, and this type of dish was shown. You used sandbags to hold the mount down. I was considering that and wondering if it works well.

Attachments

• 277702912_151.jpg
    277702912_151.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 224
Andrew, yes that is what we call a "ground mount". That is how the Fortec 6' dish used to be.

The Sadoun 6 ft dish mounts on a pole (model P76) like this:
P1030006_small.jpg

The surface area of a 6ft dish is quite large. Even if the dish is mesh and not solid any small amount of wind can be quite powerful. A pole with concrete in the ground really is best.

Status
Please reply by conversation.