Setting up extra Dish for camping with the Hopper 3

keharrisuiuc

Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
Illinois
I currently have Dish set up at home with the Hopper 3. I have an extra Dish that I would like to use when camping. I used to do this all the time with my old receiver and a Dish 500. But with this new equipment, I can't seem to get the Hopper to recognize my camping Dish. The LNB (hope that's the right terminology) on my camping Dish says "DP PLUS" and it looks slightly different than the LNB on my permanent Dish. When I hook up the camping Dish, I go to the settings and run a "test installation" and it won't seem to recognize the LNB switch at all. Are they just not compatible? Could the camping LNB just be bad? Any guidance would be appreciated and P.S., I don't know a great deal about this stuff so forgive me if I use the wrong terminology. I've uploaded some pictures in case that helps identify what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2856.JPG
    IMG_2856.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2877.JPG
    IMG_2877.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2878.JPG
    IMG_2878.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_2880.JPG
    IMG_2880.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 227
With the Hybrid LNB, if someone wants to share, you have a better excuse to tell them no, compared to the Switch.

The first photo must be from the home system.

From his photos. he has an DPP LNBF on a DPP 1000.2 dish in the fourth photo.

The third photo shows an WA DPP LNBF. That is probably what the second photo is indicating, no switch.

You choice is a EA and WA Hybrid LNBF or a DPH-42 Switch that will allow your current LNBF heads work with the Hopper 3.

If you are taking a Joey with you, you will need a SOLO Hub too.

Ok, so here's an update: based on JSheridan's first comment, I got ahold of a hybrib LNB and put it on my portable Dish and now the Hopper recognizes it. Now I think I just need to get it pointed correctly. So on the portable Dish, I matched the elevation and skew (hopefully those are the right terms) settings to my permanent Dish and then, using a compass, I matched the angle it's pointing...about 160 degrees. I've leveled and plummed the portable Dish as best I can, then I've slightly adjusted the angle back and forth looking for a signal but no luck so far. Thoughts?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Ok, so here's an update: based on JSheridan's first comment, I got ahold of a hybrib LNB and put it on my portable Dish and now the Hopper recognizes it. Now I think I just need to get it pointed correctly. So on the portable Dish, I matched the elevation and skew (hopefully those are the right terms) settings to my permanent Dish and then, using a compass, I matched the angle it's pointing...about 160 degrees. I've leveled and plummed the portable Dish as best I can, then I've slightly adjusted the angle back and forth looking for a signal but no luck so far. Thoughts?

I've got an $800 meter to do alignments and wouldn't try to do one without it. :)

I've got an $800 meter to do alignments and wouldn't try to do one without it. :)
I'm sure that makes it easier, but to act like that is the only way is silly. I point a dish 6-7 times a year with no problem. It usually takes me about 10 mins the first game of the year and less than 5 by the end of the season. All I use is a $8 meter from Amazon.

Reactions: pattykay
I'm sure that makes it easier, but to act like that is the only way is silly. I point a dish 6-7 times a year with no problem. It usually takes me about 10 mins the first game of the year and less than 5 by the end of the season. All I use is a $8 meter from Amazon.

Practice makes perfect. How long did it take you the first time you pointed it and was it without a meter?

And does your $8 meter work with a hybrid LNB?

Reactions: HipKat
Practice makes perfect. How long did it take you the first time you pointed it and was it without a meter?
Well the first couple seasons that I did it I didn't even have a meter, I just used the point dish screen on the receiver. It was many years ago, but I would guess 20 mins or so the first time.
And does your $8 meter work with a hybrid LNB?
Yes, it does. Actually used it last spring when I had to take the dish off my lake house and move it to the other side of the house because of tree growth.

Well the first couple seasons that I did it I didn't even have a meter, I just used the point dish screen on the receiver. It was many years ago, but I would guess 20 mins or so the first time.

Yes, it does. Actually used it last spring when I had to take the dish off my lake house and move it to the other side of the house because of tree growth.

Back in the day you could point a dish at a single satellite without any problems because there were so few satellites up there it made it easy to find the one you wanted and peak on that one. Now a days it's a totally different story with the crowded sky and to get the best alignment and signals from the multiple satellites that the dish points at. Judging from personal experience and the posts all over the internet you're the exception rather than the rule for your pointing prowess.

And please give us a link for this magic meter. :)

Which Hybrid LNB did you get EASTERN ARC or WESTERN ARC?

Reactions: JSheridan
That wouldn't matter though, if the portable dish had a DPH LNB and was properly aimed. I switch my portable dish between arcs regularly to make use of the clearest LOS.
Just to clarify, you switch between the arcs by changing the LNBF heads.

Reactions: NYDutch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts