SG-2100 Elevation: 10.4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwwbrennan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Canada
I am using an SG-2100 DiSEqC Motor (Elevation Angle 25-75 degrees) without a problem for NASA on 119.0W.

The Sadoun satellite angle calculator reports the following data for it:
Elevation: 14.4° Azimuth (true): 244.0° LNB Skew: 38.5°

I have a second stationary dish (motor would not go that far) that worked perfectly for 125.0W (Elevation: 10.4° Azimuth (true): 249.0° LNB Skew: 40.2°) but now it needs to be raised up to get over a tree that had a very good growing season. I want to add a motor in the change over but don't understand the elevation angle.

The specs for the motor report a low elevation angle of 25° but it works fine at 14.4°. Would the motor handle the elevation? Will the motor locate other satellites correctly if the LNB starts with a skew of 40.2° with the motor rotation set to 0°?

The motor latitude on the working dish is set to 46.2° for a satellite at longitude 63.0°W (due south) and it has been working well. The problem is 125° is beyond the capability of the motor so if a second motorized dish was added it would need to start at a much more westerly direction and at a lower angle. When the stationary dish was working for 125°W it was at an angle of 10.4°. So I am wondering about centering a motorized dish at 125°W rather than straight south at 63°W.

Thanks for your quick replies.

I get 119° perfectly and think I have gone as far as 121° but there was nothing there to save. The stationary disk used for 125° that I was thinking of motorizing is larger.

Actually I just checked the list after several months (should have done it earlier). The stations I recall are no longer there. It seems a moot point at this stage of the game. Sorry to waste your time.

Thanks for your help.

No problem, but back to the question at hand . . .

Any motorized dish needs to be set up on the true south satellite.
Its elevation and its longitude are what matters.
If you try to set it up on a bird well off to your east or west (as if it were your TS), then the motor won't follow the arc nor see any other satellites.

Then, there is a secondary consideration.
That has to do with how far the motor can swing your dish.
It's possible if you live on the far west coast, and you want to motor over to a very eastern bird right at the horizon, the motor wouldn't have enough range.

But, these are all generalizations.
To get to more specific, we would need your latitude and longitude.
... and specs on a particular motor.

But, these are all generalizations.
To get to more specific, we would need your latitude and longitude.
... and specs on a particular motor.

post 4 ;)

The motor latitude on the working dish is set to 46.2° for a satellite at longitude 63.0°W (due south) and it has been working well. The problem is 125° is beyond the capability of the motor

I am glad to know about the motor. I couldn't figure out if the dish motor arc and the arc of the satellites would remain consistent with a highly skewed starting point. If I jury-rig the jury-rigged stationary dish (the angle is more than the dish bracket allowed so the dish is mounted further away from the mast than the original bracket allowed) I should be able to shoot over the tree for another year.

Thanks. I will need to go to the hardware store next.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)