SG 2100 loose motor shaft.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greysquirrel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Have searched SG 2100, loose shaft, shaft & loose by themselves and have not come up with anything on this even thought I remember reading posts on this problem.
I have a SG2100 that has been in service for only a couple of months and am having trouble with getting my far West satellites, when I checked out my installation I found that the motor shaft has play in it and will move back and forth and when it gets far West it moves so that it is too far West and of course I get no signal, it was doing that for a day or two and all the other sats were coming in OK, now it seems to affect some of the others also.
Is there a fix I can do for this or does it have to go back to DMSI for repair.
As it only affect my West satellites and most of my satellites are west as I am at 83 if I just realign my motor would this work or am I just asking for aggravation?

I had the same problem on my first SG2100. Undo the bolt holding the tube on and take the tube off. You might be able to put some kind of small metal shim on that shaft then re-assemble making sure the bolt is very tight. My problem started after I put a 1 meter dish on the motor. It would get all the sats near my true south but anything east & west would be a problem. I went back to a DS2076 dish because I was getting as strong a signal as I did the 1 meter and no damage from the weight. I know the SG2100 should be able to handle the weight of a 1 meter but I am not convinced.

Thanks for the tip, I can live with it for now but when it cools down I will try what you suggested.
Thanks for your reply.

fiix it asap. I think this loose shaft issue is probably what caused my first sg2100 to die which caused me to need to get a new one. I found the dead motor one day when g10r had no signal, I tried turning to another bird and no go. went on roof to find the motor wouldn't turn at all and had no light. I had the loose shaft issue prior to this happening, and think what happened is the loose shaft somehow was causing either too much vibration or shifting or something somewhere that caused circuit board problem that made it a piece of junk that now sits in my basement...

You might also review the Backlash Adjustment Bulletin on our site found at SG2100 dish positioner. I think it's toward the bottom of that page.

Thanks Mr. Tim.
I had been in touch with your office and the sent me the information because they said it wasn't on your web site yet but it never told me where to locate the screws.
So I do thank you for the information and will try to do as it says when I get a chance.

One question.
Instructions say to tighten screw 3 1-2 turns and then tighten screws 2&3 3/4 turn, should the first screw be screw 1 or do you not bother with screw one again?

Last edited:
One question.
Instructions say to tighten screw 3 1-2 turns and then tighten screws 2&3 3/4 turn, should the first screw be screw 1 or do you not bother with screw one again?

Actually that's a mistake. It should say tighten screw "1" 1-2 turns.....

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Screw 1 is the wedge that does the actual adjusting of the backlash.

Thank for the reply, I thought that's what is was supposed to be, not your fault probably just something transposed during the Chinese to English translation is my guess.
Thanks again for clarifying of what should be done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)