SG-9120B behavior question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

melgarga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2008
SE Texas
Hi Guys & Gal,....(edited just for Dee!)
I bought one of those NIB 9120Bs via a WSI authorized Fleabay seller this passed week. I saw several high praises for this equipment here on the site so I decided to get one.
I set it up today on the bench with a known good short piece of RG6. While testing/setting it seems to have an intermittent, perhaps a better term is cyclic binding issue.
It will run H<-->H but when running either way, from just a bit east my "due south" the rpm dips and rotation slows somewhat, appx every 2 seconds or so for about 1/2 a second all the way to/from the west . Some dips are more pronounce, but it is definitely at a consistent interval.
Looking at the posted pics of the internals, I'd say at some point of each rev of the main gear something is binding. Not enough to stop it but it definitely loads it down.
I would think it should move smoothly/consistently out of the box but I thought I'd ask if there is a "wear in" of some sort. I'm sending a msg to the seller after I post this.
Any input much appreciated

Mine does something similar, since day one. I can hear the rpm dip cyclically during longer runs, but only slightly. And it's not specific to east or west. It doesn't really bother me, since it works perfectly from 30w to 125w in USALS mode. Probably, a manufacturing defect.. the big gear must be slightly oval :)

Hi Guys & Gal,....(edited just for Dee!)
I bought one of those NIB 9120Bs via a WSI authorized Fleabay seller this passed week. I saw several high praises for this equipment here on the site so I decided to get one.
I set it up today on the bench with a known good short piece of RG6. While testing/setting it seems to have an intermittent, perhaps a better term is cyclic binding issue.
It will run H<-->H but when running either way, from just a bit east my "due south" the rpm dips and rotation slows somewhat, appx every 2 seconds or so for about 1/2 a second all the way to/from the west . Some dips are more pronounce, but it is definitely at a consistent interval.
Looking at the posted pics of the internals, I'd say at some point of each rev of the main gear something is binding. Not enough to stop it but it definitely loads it down.
I would think it should move smoothly/consistently out of the box but I thought I'd ask if there is a "wear in" of some sort. I'm sending a msg to the seller after I post this.
Any input much appreciated

Now that you mention it, I noticed the same thing with mine. It does work though, albeit slower than the SG2100 I replaced.

Thanks for all the input guys!
@FTAer0024, Oval sound like the correct explanation to me. It doesnt do it the entire arc, more like 70% or so, but it does seem to load the motor significantly. I did not do a field install with dish so I could return it w/o any issues.

@Lak, I did both H & V to and from east to west and it did the same thing. It did run noticeably faster at 18v but did act the same way.

@Magic Static, Maybe it's with operational spec then? I dunno. Doesnt seem like it should do that. I think it's a 2 year mfg warranty so if the next one does the same thing I guess I'll just have to run it and see.

I dont think I should have to eat the return shipping for a defective unit. Acting like it does, I do believe this one will fail......
I was hoping Robby would comment on this behavior..........

You're lucky yours is at leat moving. Mine stopped moving altogether. I thought it was the cable so changed all of the cables. Still nothing. It's just stuck on one bird and I can't move it no matter what. :(

I just bought mine too on ebay. Sadly I couldn't get a due South yet. Since I had to work. I will have to give it a try on Monday and Tuesday on my day off. I do hear some noise too when I tried to test the Motor. If anyone knows the best way how I can get a due South I will really appreciate it. My zip code is 21044.

Thank you Magic for the info. However, my issue is the operation of the motor. The motor was working fine and all the settings were correct. But for some reason one day it stopped moving. I changed all the cables brand new thinking they were the cause. but nothing. I manually move the dish using the E/W button on the motor. After that the motor starts working for a couple of passes and then it stops again. I did a reset, still nothing. I'm just baffled as what to do next and cannot find any information anywhere. :(

I am starting to think they have quality issues. My SG9120B developed some behavior lately, too. Sometimes it doesn't move on the first command from the receiver. I can audibly hear the relay click inside the motor, but no movement. It would take several tries before it decides to "energize" and come alive :) And it seems to act up worse after a good rain!

I already ruled out indoor/outdoor cable runs, and the ECODA switch. It could be it's not getting enough current to the motor, or something has corroded or oxydized inside from moisture, or there's excessive binding somewhere. I am going to remove it soon and inspect its guts. Once last thing left to do to convince me that's it's a motor issue is to swap my S9 with another receiver. If the issue remains, it's the motor.

Thank you Magic for the info. However, my issue is the operation of the motor. The motor was working fine and all the settings were correct. But for some reason one day it stopped moving. I changed all the cables brand new thinking they were the cause. but nothing. I manually move the dish using the E/W button on the motor. After that the motor starts working for a couple of passes and then it stops again. I did a reset, still nothing. I'm just baffled as what to do next and cannot find any information anywhere. :(

Yeah, mine does the same thing. It clicks inside the motor but no move. As for the rust and dust, It's a brand new motor right out of the box. It worked only for a couple of weeks and has been stubborn ever since. I'm thinking if I should get another one or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)