SG2100 - HELP!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Thumpster

Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Ok,

So I'm going to throw this thing into the ocean.....

I'm trying to setup an SG2100 with a Standard KU-Band LNB. Here's my setup:

1-Captain 8000HD
1-WINEGARD 76 cm DISH
1-BSC321S-2 LNB
1-sg2100 Motor

My location is:
Medford OR
Latitude: 42.3081°
Longitude: -122.8552°

My true south is 164°.

I get great signal and zero quality no matter what. I've tried adjusting the dish elevation (not the motor) up 5-6 degrees and still nothing. I've been using USALS and even reset my motor and tried Diseqc. I've read numerous posts here and several other sites prior to setup.

We have zero obstructions and are attached to a steel pole on the third story roof. We are testing in our server room on the second floor, which gives us a 75 ft cable run from the motor to the STB.

What we are trying to do is find a FTA News channel to broadcast in our lobby. We wanted to use the motor to easily show the different channels we get from each satellite to our Board for them to choose. Of course, we don't get anything right now to show.

Anybody have any suggestions before I just chuck the motor and go to mounting the dish directly? Thanks.

We haven't grounded it yet, however that shouldn't affect getting a quality signal.

Ok,

So I'm going to throw this thing into the ocean.....

I'm trying to setup an SG2100 with a Standard KU-Band LNB. Here's my setup:

1-Captain 8000HD
1-WINEGARD 76 cm DISH
1-BSC321S-2 LNB
1-sg2100 Motor

My location is:
Medford OR
Latitude: 42.3081°
Longitude: -122.8552°

My true south is 164°.

I get great signal and zero quality no matter what. I've tried adjusting the dish elevation (not the motor) up 5-6 degrees and still nothing. I've been using USALS and even reset my motor and tried Diseqc. I've read numerous posts here and several other sites prior to setup.

We have zero obstructions and are attached to a steel pole on the third story roof. We are testing in our server room on the second floor, which gives us a 75 ft cable run from the motor to the STB.

What we are trying to do is find a FTA News channel to broadcast in our lobby. We wanted to use the motor to easily show the different channels we get from each satellite to our Board for them to choose. Of course, we don't get anything right now to show.

Anybody have any suggestions before I just chuck the motor and go to mounting the dish directly? Thanks.

I believe your true south should be 123 degrees!

Now that's not what Dishpointer says..... but I'll try it. That will make which sat my true south one then?

correct...true south for the satellite is 123W but on a compass its 164

There is some confusion as to true south. The true south satellite (in the receiver) is the closest one to your longitude...for you its G18/G10 at 123W. Mine is 93W (G26) living in Minnesota. The compass setting is 164 which is taking into effect magnetic deviation.

motor latitude is the same as YOUR latitude (42) and dont touch that after setting it

Yes!
True South Sat is same as Your Long. 123west

Motor Latitude: 42.3°, same as Your Lat. Use the Lat scale on the motor
Dish Elevation: 23°
Azimuth (mag.): 164.2° using Compass

Make sure you know where the guages / angles should be set, they usually are Not the Bolts.

Attachments

• MotorLat.JPG
    MotorLat.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 180

He's right. You should be looking for Galaxy 18 at 123 degrees. An excellent bird by the way.

Settings
Azimuth = 164 degrees
Elevation at 41.1
Skew set to +0.1 degrees

Good luck!

Correction... noticed LAK7 beat me too it and then noticed his elevation was different. I had fixed dish on the brain... Go with his elevation of 23....

Nope, no go at 164 for Galaxy 10R. I'm thinking of chucking the motor and trying it stationary to see what I get. I made sure my mast was plum.

Another point, don't always trust the elevation scale on the dish. You may have to nudge it up or down a degree or two (or even in some cases 5!) from where the scale on the dish says it should be.

In other words, if your dish elevation should be at 25 degrees, try to set the dish anywhere from 20 to 30 degrees according to the scale. Usually, they're not off by more than a couple of degrees, so consider 23 to 27 degrees.

Don't be so quick to give up. Let's dig a little deeper. What exactly are you doing to try and find the signal? Using one person at tv/receiver and another at dish? Using a meter? G18 / may be labeled G10 on your receiver - can be a tough one to hit. Slow and patient is the key. If you're trying to find it with the receiver screen, pick a strong transponder. 11805H 4580 is really strong here for me. Set to that and see if you can pick it up. Other than driving you nuts trying to find the signal the motor is fine since it doesn't affect your signal. So it's just a matter of concentrating on finding and locking on the satellite.
How is the cable routed since you said something about it being in a lobby? Are you positive you're getting voltage to that LNB? A cheap multi meter with one lead touching the copper stinger and another touching the metal on the connector will let you know. (of course I have used my tongue before too, but not recommended) Make sure you're getting voltage though. Are you using any switches? If so remove them and try.

Keep at it,... you'll get it.

My motor arrived today. But it rained all day and the wife had me doing other things. When I do get a chance to hook it up, I point it at my true south sat (74W - actual longitude is 75.4) after setting the elevation to my latitude (44.4N) and adjust the dish to the same position to bring in 74W (the face of the dish is at a 15° angle), then am I good to go once I get a signal on 74w? Or is there something else I will need to do?

Use USALS to move the motor to a satellite close to your true south. You'll have to enter your latitude and longitude into the receivers USALS menu, then instruct the receiver to go to that satellite. Once the motor moves there, you'll want to tweak your azimuth (east-west) and DISH elevation (don't always trust the engraved scale on the dish) until you get signal on a live transponder.

Use USALS to move the motor to a satellite close to your true south. You'll have to enter your latitude and longitude into the receivers USALS menu, then instruct the receiver to go to that satellite. Once the motor moves there, you'll want to tweak your azimuth (east-west) and DISH elevation (don't always trust the engraved scale on the dish) until you get signal on a live transponder.
Thanks for the info Tron. I have to turn the mount on the dish upside down to work with the sg2100 motor so I can't use the elevation scale anyway. Hopefully I'll get a day this week to work on it, but the weather for the next week doesn't look good.

OK, so I've got Galaxy 23 working and my motor is humming along, but I can't get anything else to come in. It seems to pickup the echostar 119, of course i can't see anything on there, but any other sat it's nulls ville. I must be doing something off here. I'm using USALS and a Captain 8000hd with a Universal LNB.

I would really like to get AMC1 and Galaxy 26.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)