SG2100 motor control board repair.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
I mentioned some time ago the problems I was having with my SG2100 motor. It was an older unit that has seen a lot of use. One of the motor drive relays began to stick and on occassion drive only one direction. After troubleshooting the defective part I began to hunt for a cheap replacement relay, and finally found a source for this part.

The Shori relay crosses over to the Song Chung but that relay as well as the Shori is not cheap or readily availible in the U.S.. I found a relay that has the same pin out and identical specs in everyway except one (it is physical smaller). Since it is slightly smaller it will not line up with the feed thru holes of the PC board. However all you need do is cut inch long pieces of 24 gage buss wire and solder to the relay pins. Then use a 1/4 inch long piece of shrink tube and cover the butt splice. Pass the buss wire thru the original mounting holes of the PC board, solder and cut off the excess wire.

I replaced both relays on my motor control board and tested. So far so good, functions normally now. I took a few photos of the new relays installed in the board and side by side comparision shots so you can see the physical size difference.

Here is the good part, these realys are availible through Mouser Electronics (online sales to general public and no minimum order requirement). The cost is $1.52 each, the cheapest shipping cost for me was USPS Priority Mail. I purchased 4 of these relays for $6.08 plus additional $6.41 for shipping ($12.49 total on my Visa Card). I received the relays two days after I placed the order, great speedy service. I only required two relays but ordered an extra set just in case.

The (Omron) MFG P/N for this relay: G5V-1-DC12
Mouser Electronics P/N: 653-G5V-1-DC12

Thought I would pass this bit of information along as there is a limited life to this mechanical part and in time more will experience this part fialure. One added note, the nuts securing the motor controlboard coax connectors to the motor housing are 7/16 inch, I did not have a thin body socket to loosen so I use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove them.

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    459.6 KB · Views: 971
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    356.5 KB · Views: 688
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    395.4 KB · Views: 552
Walrus,

Nice write-up! This should help a lot of folks who have an older SG-2100 motor and who are experiencing this problem. A really inexpensive repair for anyone wishing to keep their motor in operation.

AcWxRADAR

Really good to see someone repairing equipment these days rather than throwing it away and buying a new one... Too bad parts seem to be getting hard to find and expensive, but the effort is certainly worth while especially when the repair is successful!
Cheers!
-C.

Walrus,

Thank you for posting the repair experience so other members may benefit. In this day of modular functionality and expeditious swap-outs, component level troubleshooting abilities for electronic circuitry, especially analog, are literally dying away.

Perhaps you purchased the extra relays in anticipation of another round of replacements. Per my experience in QA for a telecom company, OMRON relays manufactured by the company started in 1933, have superior dependability records, so hopefully with the proper regard to specifications, you will not need to revisit the repair.

As for parts sources Newark, Digikey and Mouser are the best sources for repairs on commercial equipment. MCM is a great source for consumer equipment.

73's

Last edited:
Perhaps you purchased the extra relays in anticipation of another round of replacements. Per my experience in QA for a telecom company, OMRON relays manufactured by the company started in 1933, have superior dependability records, so hopefully with the proper regard to specifications, you will not need to revisit the repair.

As for parts sources Newark, Digikey and Mouser are the best sources for repairs on commercial equipment. MCM is a great source for consumer equipment.

73's

DefCon4,

I have two other SG2100 motors, they haven't seen the use my original motor has, but also have milage on them. The extra relays are a just in case for them. According to the specs, the Shori prematurely failed.

I have attached pdf files for the Shori, the Song Chuan and the Omron relays. The Shori and Song Chuan relays are the OEMs choice but I could not find a source that had them on hand or at a price I was willing to pay. I also sketched out the circuit traces and designed a solid state circuit to replace the relays. But once I ran across the Omron relays decided to go the quick and easy route. It helps when you have a degree in Electronics Engineering, but still a hassel locating parts.

You forgot to add Allied Electronics to your list of vendors. But I prefer Mouser as they have no minimum order requirement. As most companies these days are demanding $50 as a minimum order point. If all you want is a 10 cent transistor you still have to purchase an additional $49.90 worth of product to meet the minimum.

Attachments

• S2.pdf
    576.4 KB · Views: 372
  • 842A song chuan SG2100 relay.pdf
    461.3 KB · Views: 281
  • G5V-1_0607.pdf
    411.8 KB · Views: 291
I know this is an old thread. I have this same motor and it has gotten flaky about going one direction. My first thought was a bad relay. But when testing running it while open, I found the one relay clicks only faintly when the motor doesn't move and loud when it does. I can feel the snap. Tried checking voltages but didn't see a pattern other then when it works the voltage changes and holds and when it doesn't the voltage changes back as if it gives up in about .5sec. When yours was acting up, did the relays still click strong every time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)