Sg2100 zero reference issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mark_calgary

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
The dry side of the Rockies
For the past little while - I won't say how long, it's embarrassing - I've been having issues following the arc with my motorized Ku dish. After being on the roof several times mucking about with both the dish and (desperately) motor elevation and being at a loss to what was wrong, I finally realized while laying in bed one night last week what could be the problem. The motor zero reference was likely wrong. The next day I went up on the roof and to my relief found that it was 5 degrees off. The way I checked was to move it to a pretend satellite that was at my longitude (114.1W) using USALS. Now I can fix it and get the entire arc again.:)

I initally set the zero when I first installed the motor using the buttons on the bottom and the reset switch and haven't touched it since (early 2004) and wrongly assumed it would always be correct.

This leads to some questions:

Is there any way that this setting can be changed remotely?
Could it be gear slip?
Could it be a symptom of pending motor failure?
Has anyone noticed a drift in their motor zero reference over time, specifically SG2100's?

Needless to say, the first thing I will check when I next feel like fine tuning my dish is the reference.

yep. 5 degrees off here in MN

I use Diseqc 1.2 for that reason. The USALS are off by 4.5 degrees in my case. I'd go fix it but too hot :)

I have had my SG2100 for around 3 years and its still within 1º and I am sure thats just the motor has moved slightly in a recent storm! I use USALS 98% of the time!

Oh, It explains my trouble.
I am using SG2100 and Coolsat 5000.
I set up my first motorized dish in the weekend.
All the components were new.
To my amazement I got all the satellites I expected after one small adjustment of the dish elevation. My only problem was I could not use USALS because of the constant angular offset. I did not know I can set up motor zero position. I was using new motor and I suspected that the motor has mechanical trouble. It shows how useful is your forum for beginers as me. Thank you (satellite) guys.

janz said:
Oh, It explains my trouble.
I am using SG2100 and Coolsat 5000.
I set up my first motorized dish in the weekend.
All the components were new.
To my amazement I got all the satellites I expected after one small adjustment of the dish elevation. My only problem was I could not use USALS because of the constant angular offset.

I had USALS working for my entire arc from PAS-9 to IA-7 until my troubles started.

As a guy and an Engineer I am genetically engineered to ignore manuals but I broke that rule for the motor two years ago mostly because it was winter and I wanted to play with it while waiting for the next warm chinook wind to blow so I could set it up. :D

I freely admit to being one of those neophytes who thought that his new LNB or receiver was broken when the signal level (not quality) on the receiver didn't budge no matter where you pointed the dish; ground, house, sky.....

mark_calgary said:
As a guy and an Engineer I am genetically engineered to ignore manuals.....
For most FTA equipment, this is probably an advantage rather than a disadvantage. Most FTA manuals should come printed on a roll :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts