SG9120 VS SG9120B Motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
Does the 50mm tube on the 9120 have a lot more strength than the 9120B with the 42mm tube??? I am considering motorizing a 1m Primestar and was wondering if I should consider the larger shaft size for this dish.

Does the 50mm tube on the 9120 have a lot more strength than the 9120B with the 42mm tube??? I am considering motorizing a 1m Primestar and was wondering if I should consider the larger shaft size for this dish.
Go with the heavier duty unit as the primestar dish is heavy in comparison to the stamped steel. I would tend to think the one w/the heavier tube would be the heavier duty one of the two.

The motors themselves are identical, it is the tube size that is different. I would go with the larger tube, since it should give you more options when mounting a larger dish. The larger tube also has a lip at the bottom, which could either be very helpful or very limiting, depending on how you go about modifying the dish mount.

Thanks for the info!

Tomorrow I will go through my stash and see what mounts I have and find the stuff to do the mod. That sure sounds like a way to start the new year right! @party

The motors themselves are identical, it is the tube size that is different.

i agree to some extent....but the motors can not be 100% identical because the shafts mount differently....the "B" shaft mounts with a bolt going through the side of the shaft similar to the SG2100....while the original models shaft mounts with a bolt straight up into the motor....

Dishman Dan,

Don't worry about the strength of the motor tube. 50mm vs 42mm will not make any difference. Concern yourself with the mechanics of how you will attach the dish to the tube. A 42 mm tube will provide sufficient strength to support your dish so as long as the physical dimensions are matched, that is all you need to concern yourself with. If you find it easier to use the 50mm tube, that is fine too. Just pick the one that is easier for you to match up with the physical dimensions of the dish clamps.

RADAR

Dishman Dan,

Don't worry about the strength of the motor tube. 50mm vs 42mm will not make any difference. Concern yourself with the mechanics of how you will attach the dish to the tube. A 42 mm tube will provide sufficient strength to support your dish so as long as the physical dimensions are matched, that is all you need to concern yourself with. If you find it easier to use the 50mm tube, that is fine too. Just pick the one that is easier for you to match up with the physical dimensions of the dish clamps.

RADAR

There has been a member or 2 that shimmed the tube to a larger size to fit their bracket. :eureka:

Tomorrow I will go through my stash and see what mounts I have and find the stuff to do the mod. That sure sounds like a way to start the new year right! @party

:eek: I did not do anything today with the Primestar project!
Sure the weather gal was totally wrong on the weather (The daylight part of it!) and it was a beautiful day to work on somethng outside. However, the local Dairy Queen had a customer appreciation day and everything was half price! I really enjoyed the afternoon there and I will not be able to bend over to do any projects for a while!!!... :facepalm

I can't pull them up right off hand but I've posted some threads and photos of my 9120 motor and primestar dish setups. My dad helped me with the dangerous parts (saws)..
It's pretty easy to do when you see how we did. I flipped the mount upside down, Dad sawed the lip off the motor tube and shortened it a few inches and notched out a rib on the back of the dish so there's room for it to tilt forward but you may not need to do that depending on where you live. We put a short piece of fence post over the motor tube then put screws through it all where it can't move.

I can say that it works great.

Hey Dee,

What size Primestar dishes did you motorize and what motor did you use?

My Dad and I worked on these together. We built a primestar 1m oval for them and for me we built a primestar 1m round, both on the SG9120 motors with the largest motor tube.
For like way over a year we tried all kinds of kooky adapters but everything was a big goose egg. Then I thought to saw off the lip on the bottom of the motor tube and slide a short piece of fence post over it.
Bingo. Worked like a charm.

I can pull up some old photos right off the bat and later I'll see if I can find the old threads for you.

These pictures should give you a pretty darn good idea of what we did. The first dish is my 1m round and the other is the 1m oval that is now my Dad's.

Attachments

• IMG_4809.resized.JPG
    IMG_4809.resized.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4812b.JPG
    IMG_4812b.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4811.resized.JPG
    IMG_4811.resized.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4776.resized.JPG
    IMG_4776.resized.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0130.resized.JPG
    IMG_0130.resized.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0133.resized.JPG
    IMG_0133.resized.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0134.resized.JPG
    IMG_0134.resized.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4322.resized.rotated.JPG
    IMG_4322.resized.rotated.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4353.resized.JPG
    IMG_4353.resized.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4318.resized.JPG
    IMG_4318.resized.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_4350.resized.JPG
    IMG_4350.resized.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4352.resized.JPG
    IMG_4352.resized.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4351.resized.JPG
    IMG_4351.resized.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 129
why not avoid the hassle?

just buy the model that fits your dish....that is the point of them having two models to choose from

I thought that I would ask because the 9120B is easier to find and is cheaper in price. I can make the dish fit the motor too! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts