SG9120B Angle/Bracket Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Murphdog

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I have replaced my KU setup with a SG9120B motor(42mm shaft) and a Geosat Pro 90CM dish. I have seen the threads that state the SG9120B manual is not correct and the the dish elevation should be 30-declination not 40-D.

Question: Does that mean the motor bracket settings in the manual are wrong too? Or are they correct and I just need to worry about the angle on the actual dish?

Thank you in advance.

Set the motor Latitude scale to match your install location latitude. This angle is correct in the manual.

Set the dish elevation to 30 degrees minus the declination angle provided in the SG9120B manual (between 20 - 30 degrees).

You can put in your zipcode if someone in the forum is close to your area. I was lucky last week I had someone in the forum that was close to where I live and he came to help out with my SG9120b. There are good people on this forum someone will help you out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I managed to snap the elevation bolt on the dish so I had to stop for now.

Before that I had it aligned to my closest south sat at 72. Works great there but not so much on others. It gets worse as it moves west. The pole is plumb and the dish and motor that were there before tracked great from 63-125 until the motor got water in it.
The new motor shaft does have some up and down play in it. Also after staring at the Geosat Pro directions I may have made a mistake. I noticed that the chimney mount requires that the elevation bracket be reversed. Does the elevation bracket need to be reversed with a HH motor?

This is not my first install and I have a Birddog meter to assist me so I that I may be missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
after staring at the Geosat Pro directions I may have made a mistake. I noticed that the chimney mount requires that the elevation bracket be reversed. Does the elevation bracket need to be reversed with a HH motor?

No, do not reverse the bracket. The reversed elevation bracket is for elevations below 15 degrees. You are setting the dish elevation between 20 - 30 degrees, so do not reverse. Also, do not firmly set the nuts until everything is aligned. The serrated washer bolts bite very well without the need to over-tighten. Once you have optimized the aiming, then put an extra 1/4 turn on the hardware.

Did you drive the motor to 72 degrees using the USALS feature in your receiver? If not, the motor position may be slightly off and it become more evident as you move away from the high (top) of the arc of satellites.

Hi,

Yes I did drive it via USALS to 72 and confirmed that it moved a few degrees(I'm at 75). I can't even receive anything adjusting the motor manually on the outer sats. I just picked up a new carriage bolt so I will try again I the morning. I was hoping it was something easy as misreading directions :)

Thanks again

Last week I was having the same problem you have right now before I got help from 'Gabshere' a forum member that was close to my area. You will need a 2nd person to check the quality and strength unless you have a small tv to use. What Gabshere did was just adjusted the dish elevation once the receiver turn the motor to a close by satellite then try to adjust the dish and motor elevation a little bit to the correct elevation and it should work. That's how my satellite was able to work. I was frustrated because it was only me doing the set up and I'm not that experienced with the FTA installations. If you still can't figure it out; keep on putting the word out in the forum for someone closed to your that could come help you fix the problem.

If come to the opinion that it is the motor. I have a Manhattan receiver that positioned my old Digipower motor perfectly. The motor shaft play does not help. I have to use DiSEqC instead of USALS as it never positions correctly under USALS. I found the happy place at 72 and 125. I'll live with it until I locate a quality motor.

If the motor does not position correctly with USALS, then the motor is most likely not correctly installed. It is very unlikely a receiver or a motor error as long as the installation's location has been corrrectly inputted into the USALS longitude / latitude set-up menu.

Glad to hear that you are at least able to watch some programming!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

introduction

C / Ku reception on AMC1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts