Shaw Equipment need to be replaced by June 5, 2018

grantb3

Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Anyone else get this? I have my original 75cm dish from 2008 and I don't think I've changed the LNB. Not sure how to identify what I have vs what I need. I am currently using an HDPVR 630. Anyway, I follow the instructions below and channel 988 says I need an upgrade. No more detail than that.
---
Hi,
We’re making major upgrades to our network and when completed, nearly all your channels will be HD.1
Some of your equipment will not be fully compatible and needs to be replaced by June 5, 2018 to avoid losing up to 54 channels.
To find out if your equipment is compatible, you need to:
1. Turn on your TV, press GUIDE on your remote and go to channel 988.
2. Repeat this step, for each TV you have. Take note of how many new satellite receivers you’ll need.
3. Once you’re done, chat with us online to purchase your Essential HD receiver[2]. Mention promo code 1195.
-----
Note [2]: Available to Shaw Direct TV customers with more than one active MPEG-2 receiver. Each active MPEG-2 receiver is eligible for replacement at an exclusive discount. The receiver replacement will be an equivalent refurbished rental model. Once replaced, your MPEG-2 receiver will be decommissioned and can be recycled. Model type may vary and is subject to inventory levels. Upgrades may require payment of additional fees. Exclusive rental options are also available. Offer subject to change without notice. Shaw Direct maintains ownership of rental hardware. If the Shaw Direct TV service is terminated, the rental receivers must be returned to Shaw Direct to avoid rental fees or equipment charges. Receivers rented or purchased may incur an installation charge; customers who self-install will not be charged an installation fee.

You are ok with the 630, only the 600 and 800 series receivers will be compliant going forward. You will need to change the LNB by the sounds of it. You will need a "Triple" to get all the new HD channels unless you are further south than Montana. You will still only get the 2 satellites. Shaw may check with the customers who decide not to upgrade to find out why though.
We are already finding a lot of Fake addresses and phone numbers while doing these upgrades which have to be reported and I presume action will be taken on those accounts that we can not locate.
Cheers

You are ok with the 630, only the 600 and 800 series receivers will be compliant going forward. You will need to change the LNB by the sounds of it. You will need a "Triple" to get all the new HD channels unless you are further south than Montana. You will still only get the 2 satellites. Shaw may check with the customers who decide not to upgrade to find out why though.
We are already finding a lot of Fake addresses and phone numbers while doing these upgrades which have to be reported and I presume action will be taken on those accounts that we can not locate.
Cheers

Thanks. I'm way further south. LA area. I will contact them and have them send a new LNB then. I'm using a friend's address in Canada for my "shipping" address.

I'm also in LA going through a broker. I have a 630 with two separate Winegard100 cm dishes with the old lnb. Can anyone recommend a source that ships the new triple lnb to the US? Also, since I have two separate dishes do I need some sort of switch to connect them together?

I am sure you get a Fantastic signal with 100cm, but in LA a 75cm dish would work fine. I have customers using them in Mexico with no problems.
I sell the triple for the 75 but nothing I am afraid for yours.($80us includes shipping)
If they don't make an lnb to fit your dish and you can not get a real Shawdirect 75 dish, you can use the Direct tv Slimline dish with a shaw lnb, it is a bit smaller 70cm I think but will still work for you.
good luck :)

Reactions: Tampa8
I am sure you get a Fantastic signal with 100cm, but in LA a 75cm dish would work fine. I have customers using them in Mexico with no problems.
I sell the triple for the 75 but nothing I am afraid for yours.($80us includes shipping)
If they don't make an lnb to fit your dish and you can not get a real Shawdirect 75 dish, you can use the Direct tv Slimline dish with a shaw lnb, it is a bit smaller 70cm I think but will still work for you.

Hi, I am interested in said LNB. Dumb questions though (I have an installer come out for the dish stuff), triple ... I have two cables going to the dish now, does anything need to change? And new pointing or cables to run?

Cables should be RG6, if you had a 75cm dish it would just be a matter of swapping out the LNB as everything remains the same G1 is stacked on top of F1 so in Canada it would come in automatically. we always check the dish just in case and tweak it if need be.
LNB's have a built in switch so nothing needs to change really except to call Shaw and have the V-code on your receiver changed to match the new LNB.

Cables should be RG6, if you had a 75cm dish it would just be a matter of swapping out the LNB as everything remains the same G1 is stacked on top of F1 so in Canada it would come in automatically. we always check the dish just in case and tweak it if need be.
LNB's have a built in switch so nothing needs to change really except to call Shaw and have the V-code on your receiver changed to match the new LNB.

Does anyone know of a Shaw Direct installer in Los Angeles? I have the xuLNB, but need someone to install. I guess the clock is ticking on the June 5 2018 deadline to change over to the xuLNB.

It is more the receiver's that need to be swapped out. going forward only a 600 or 800 series will work. They will still work on the old lnb, but it will look funny to Shaw if someone does not want to change it.
The swap out is way behind schedule, so I would not worry too much about the June deadline :)
You can also just buy an LNB and swap it yourself, but you will need to call Shawdirect to have them change the V code for your receiver to work with the new LNB.
Cheers :)

It is more the receiver's that need to be swapped out. going forward only a 600 or 800 series will work. They will still work on the old lnb, but it will look funny to Shaw if someone does not want to change it.
The swap out is way behind schedule, so I would not worry too much about the June deadline :)
You can also just buy an LNB and swap it yourself, but you will need to call Shawdirect to have them change the V code for your receiver to work with the new LNB.
Cheers :)

Thanks for your reply. I have the LNB but my present set up has two 100cm dishes with standard lnbs. It doesn't look like I can slide out the old lnb and slide in the uxLNB. This is why I am hoping someone can direct me to an installer in the LA SoCal area. The installer who previously put together my current set up, is no longer in business.

wow 100cm, would give you a great signal. But folks use a 75cm right down into Mexico. You can us a DT slimline dish on the new lnb. I believe it is only a 70cm but works fine :)

I have a Winegard 16 section 10 foot dish. We have been getting Canadian stations since before they went to private companies. It does the Cu and Ku bands and all has been fine.. until now. Will my dish take the new LNB with the xKu ? I also went to guide and followed the instructions with it telling me the receiver and dish needed upgrading. If I upgrade the receiver and the dish takes the new LNB will all be on? The dish does move to other positions but I keep it on the one satellite labeled E2.

MPEG-4 Transition Plan Phase 2 Step 4

This is just a reminder that the following changes will take place in July and August 2018 during Step 4 of
Phase 2 in the Transition to MPEG-4. Light Switch –The light switches will occur at 10:00 AM EST.
Fox Rochester HD, NBC Detroit HD and ABC Detroit HD will remain on F2 T15 but transition from MPEG-
2 to MPEG-4 on July 17, 2018.

Dual Feed Periods –All dual feeds will begin at 10:00 AM EST.
At the end of each dual feed period, signals will be available only at the new technical coordinates
Relocate

CBS DetroitHD, PBS DetroitHD, City TV Toronto HD and Global Toronto HD toF2 T15. A dual feed will be available from July 17, 2018 to August 8, 2018.

Launches

Paramount Network HDwill launch in MPEG-4 on F1R T10 on August 8, 2018.
DIY HD, Fox News HD, Discovery Science HD, Treehouse HD, HLN HD, MSNBC HD, FYI HD, Cottage LifeHD and AHC HD will launch in MPEG-4 on F2 T12 on August 8, 2018

Showtime:
I sent a PM (assume via conversation). I live in Dallas TX and currently have 2 Patriot 85-E dishes, each with KU LNBs, all connected by a DTV 8 switch.
I am moving and new place DOES NOT like dishes, so am thinking, my options are:
(1) get the new Shaw Direct Triple xKU LNB and see if the PAtriot arm can hold this new LNB (i'm thinking it WONT work).
OR
(2) get the Shaw direct xKU LNB and also get the Shaw direct 75E dish.

Do you have recommendations?
Do you have both the 75cm dish and the LNB???

I doubt it would hold it either by looking at a picture of one.
I do have both lnb or dish 75 complete with LNB. But shipping a large box south is awfully expensive. That's why I suggest a 75E xku lnb with the DTV Slimline dish. (70 cm) they are a dime a dz down there. Shipping an lnb is only about $15-$20 whole dish about $300 to ship.
Have you thought about an android box?

thank you for the quick response.

If I get the LNB thru' you, and go with either DTV slimline dish, will that work?
how about this one (what DTV calls their international dish)?
DIRECTV 36REFR0 36-inch Satellite Dish for International - Free Shipping!

I suspect that the mounting arm/bracket is what needs to be compatible with the Shaw Triple XKU?
Maybe you're specifically recommending the slimline, since the arm on that WILL be compatible with the XKU?

Thanks again!

the lnb definitely works on the slimline, I have one on a house down in San Tan Valley. I have never seen the international but it would be a better choice as it is a larger surface which would help with the signal. It looks very close to the slimline. I'd like to try that one too. Darn good price :)

Thanks. The Word Direct dish says it's arm is for 95/101 (2 LNBs). do you think that arm will be able to work with the Triple XKU LNB?

Assuming i get the XKU LNB from you, i still need the world direct dish and the Arm to be able to hold the XKU Triple lnb, right??

Correct, you remove the screw on the lnb and it will slide into the arm on the slimline and just center it then close the spring lock.
You may have to play with the position on the world dish a bit but I would think if it gets 101 it should be pretty close.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts