Shawdirect no signal problem

wanabe

Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Parry Sound Ontario
Hello
Visiting hot Florida and I am trying for a solution for my Shaw reception. I only need English channels and no H.D. so one satellight should do me fine. The small dish (60) gives me only 18 signal strength so I purchased a Hotdish90 and twin KU LNBF ( JSC322-2 ). Hooked it to my DSR207 reciever. No matter where I aim I get no signal strength. Have I bought the wrong LNB? I can't tell if the JSC322 is stacked or nonstacked.
Thanks

18 signal on the small dish means your cable is connected but dish not pointing at anything in particular. that being said, you need the 75 cm dish to get reliable signal that far south. but the 60 may work if you have everything pointed correctly

Make sure your mast is plumb and you have the correct dish settings.

Other posters may be able to comment on the specifics of your LNBF, but I think it can work. but again, it sounds like you aren't pointed at anything.

The Hotdish and LNB about which you speak is recommended by Mike Kohl as being a good substitute for the standard Shaw dish. If Mike says it will work, you can bet it will work. You should be able to get some signal (above the 18 you are getting) even with the 60e. The 18 is likely due to "noise" in the air and you will see this level no matter where the dish is pointed, and also indicates that your receiver and LNB are conmmunicating and that there is likely no connection problem between the dish and the receiver.

That being said, I believe Frenchphile is right on when he says it's a pointing problem: you must have the correct data for Anik F1R at your Florida location; your mast must be plumb; you must set the correct elevation on your dish and clamp it down before you start to search for the signal by rotating the dish in azimuth; if using a compass to get the azimuth, you must be sure that you're using the magnetic azimuth data; recommend you use dishpointer.com or equivalent instead of a compass; you must be sure there is nothing blocking your line of sight. Be sure, as you rotate your dish in azimuth, that you give the signal meter on the 207 ten to fifteen seconds to react before making the next movement of the dish. If the receiver is not yet authorized, use channel 299's signal meter when searching for the signal. I really don't think your problem lies with your equipment.

With regard to the stacked/nonstacked question, was your 207 previously used with another dish/LNB, and, if so, what kind of dish? Once upon a time I used a single dish, similar to your setup, pointed at Anik F2 only, and I believe my receiver was mapped to "unstacked". I say that because when I put up my 75e quad (unstacked) dish, that same receiver worked with the 75e without changing the V-Code.

I replaced the JSC322-2 LNBF with the proper JSC322 unit. I have learned that my Star Choice reciever can not switch between the two frequency's of a Universal LNBF. I then went to dishpointer.com plugged in my location and got my aiming numbers. The elevation markings on my new hotdish90 are not even close. I went to there web site and check to see if I assembled it wrong and I have it right. It looks like they have had two different styles of mounts.
I googled for help on the elevation and found a trick of setting the elevation angle using the upper edge of the mounting bracket.
I set everything up and started pointing. Six hours later out of frustration I pointed the dish way down from were I thought it would be.
A miracle, a signal. Fine tuned everything. I then looked for a reference location on the hotdish90 for elevation.
I have found that the feed tube for the LNB is the same elevation angle as per Dishpointer.com .
Thanks for everyone's help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts