Shea Goodbye, 45 years of Amazin - Blacked out, why?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Michigan Czar

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
I have the sports pack and set Shea Goodbye, 45 years of Amazin to record last night but it was blacked out. I live in Michigan but why would it be blacked out? It's not like this was an actual game, it was just a collection of highlights, etc. from Shea Stadium. Any thoughts? Should this be blacked out? Could I contact Directv to ask about it?

You would contact the team, the originating outlet RSN and the league; THEN DirecTV.

Who broadcast the event / program?

I too detest any & all blackouts, but all all comes down to carriage rights and what the owner and outlet agrees to. If the team/RSN/league say blackout, then providers are obligated to blackout.

Last edited:
I follow the SJ Sharks from here in NJ.But their hockey magazine show "Shark Byte" is almost always blacked out here,I've heard the same thing about team shows from DC & Florida being blacked out elsewhere.

Was that on SNY? I also have the sports pack and attempted to watch a reply of a Mets game and it was blacked out. It has to be the channel because YES doesn't black out the Yankees replays.

Yes it was SNY, thanks I will start with them but it sounds like I won't make any progress but I will try.

Update, I emailed them and here is their response;

Unfortunately because you are outside of the SNY footprint, this program had to be blacked out due to MLB footage.

I understand game blackouts but what is MLB gaining by blacking out a highlight reel of the past years at Shea? I guess maybe if they plan to sell a dvd later but it seems like this is something MLB would want seen to gain more interest in baseball.

Stupidly enough, it's likely because of the length of those highlights. Non-rights holders can only show "x" amount of highlights from any given game outside the home market.

Unfortunately I'm guessing that your up the creek on this one.

Update, I emailed them and here is their response;

Unfortunately because you are outside of the SNY footprint, this program had to be blacked out due to MLB footage.

I understand game blackouts but what is MLB gaining by blacking out a highlight reel of the past years at Shea? I guess maybe if they plan to sell a dvd later but it seems like this is something MLB would want seen to gain more interest in baseball.

Tell them that YES Network doesn't blackout Yankees Classic. Last night Game Five of the 2001 World Series was on and wasn't blacked out.

I live in Florida and have had the same issue regarding highlights from 86 Mets being blacked out. Makes no sense to me either!

I doubt they would ever do this, but with the blackouts and such I wish they would add the sports pack to one of the other packages.

I live in FL too, but I "moved" to NY. Solves all the MLB problems.
I also have the MLB & superfan package, so don't worry, everyone is still getting their $$$. I just get to see NY sports instead of FL sports.

This is absolute stupidity on the part of MLB. I am read and willing to pay any amount of money to see the YES network, and MSG. Not just the games, but all the other programming. But they want to shove the FL programming down my throat.
Do they really think that is my only option is to watch the local FL teams that I will? I won't watch any team. I will just listen to the Yankees on XM or MLB. Radio.

MLB, READ MY LIPS!!! I IWLL NOT WATCH ANOTHER TEAM'S GAMES JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE MY LOCAL TEAM OR JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE THE GAME OF THE WEEK!!

The MLB package on Directv doesn't give me all the games, and neither does mlb.tv. The best option is to "move" to NY. Even that's not perfect since I can't get Chanel 9 and 11. So the combination of "moving", mlb.com, and directv's mlb package works best.

Slingbox is also a BIG help. You just need to have someone host it for you in the NY area.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts