Should I be getting 129?

JusJim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
I was looking into moving into the Kansas City area, so I went to see what satellites I was pointing too.

The first two are 110, and 119, and they are both showing green. The third one is 129, and it has a red x on it, and is not "coming in". Is this normal, or should all 3 satellites be showing green?

Yes it should be green. Do you have a single dish 1000 or two separate dishes. Are the Voom HD channels in your guide? If you only have 4 or 5 HD channels in your guide then your dish is out of alignment.

I just upgraded about two months ago, and they installed a new dish....I assume the 1000.

I don't know what all of the Voom channels are, but I do have MNSTR, FILMF, KNGFU, ULTRA, GAMEP, HDNWS, WSPOR, RUSH, TRESR, GLLRY, and RAVE, as well as many others. ( I realize some of what I listed may not be VOOM).

If I go to the point dish option and then to the check swith option it shows sat input 1, and sat input 2. In each "chart" it shows port 1 as being 119, and ok, port 2 being 110 and ok, and port 3 being 129 and ok.

If I go to system info and it runs through the status check 119 and 110 both come up green, but then once it gets to 100% 129 shows a red x.

You might have a weak signal on 129 and that is causing you to lose a couple transponders. While the checkswitch will confirm you have the satellite, it is the individual transponders that provide the various channels. The Sys Info screen does a more detailed check of the signal quality on each satellite. You may need to increase your signal on the 129 a bit.

You have to move the dish slightly. Either to the left or right, or up or down. This is best left to a tech, but if you have the gumption, then you can do it yourself. You'll need a 7/16" wrench. Put the receiver on the point dish screen (MENU 6,1,1) and go to 129 Transponder 31. You should see a signal there and that's what you are trying to get higher. The easiest way is to have a helper watch that screen as you adjust the dish. You can do this with a cellphone and house phone. Another means is to use a baby monitor and monitor the receiver's pitch just as you would monitor a baby.

When you actually move the dish, loosen the two bolts holding it to the pipe and move the dish just slightly, about 1/4" at a time either left or right. Wait a couple seconds and see how the signal changes. If it gets better, keep going another 1/4" until you see it start to drop. Then you can hone in on it. If it starts to drop right away, you might need to go back the other direction.

Once you have the left/right adjusted (we call this azimuth), you need to lock down those bolts. Lock them down to just about where you feel the wrench might slip. To adjust the up/down (elevation), loosen the two bolts that are on the hash marks near the pipe. Move the dish ever so slightly. When this setting is off, you usually need to go up for more signal since everything may have sagged down a bit from the original install if all the bolts weren't tight.

You have to move the dish slightly. Either to the left or right, or up or down. This is best left to a tech, but if you have the gumption, then you can do it yourself. You'll need a 7/16" wrench. Put the receiver on the point dish screen (MENU 6,1,1) and go to 129 Transponder 31. You should see a signal there and that's what you are trying to get higher. The easiest way is to have a helper watch that screen as you adjust the dish. You can do this with a cellphone and house phone. Another means is to use a baby monitor and monitor the receiver's pitch just as you would monitor a baby.

When you actually move the dish, loosen the two bolts holding it to the pipe and move the dish just slightly, about 1/4" at a time either left or right. Wait a couple seconds and see how the signal changes. If it gets better, keep going another 1/4" until you see it start to drop. Then you can hone in on it. If it starts to drop right away, you might need to go back the other direction.

Once you have the left/right adjusted (we call this azimuth), you need to lock down those bolts. Lock them down to just about where you feel the wrench might slip. To adjust the up/down (elevation), loosen the two bolts that are on the hash marks near the pipe. Move the dish ever so slightly. When this setting is off, you usually need to go up for more signal since everything may have sagged down a bit from the original install if all the bolts weren't tight.

Wow, good info vegassatellite. Thanks. What transponder would you use to adjust for 110, 118.7, 119, and 61.5? 61.5 on a Dish 500 and the others on 1000+.

110 and 119 can both be peaked with Transponder 11. I'm not sure on 118.7, but I think Transponder 3 should have signal as there's an in-the-clear FYI channel on that transponder. Same situation with 61.5, there's an FYI channel on Tp23.

Dish 1000+ will have weakest signals on 118.7 and 129.

110 and 119 can both be peaked with Transponder 11. I'm not sure on 118.7, but I think Transponder 3 should have signal as there's an in-the-clear FYI channel on that transponder. Same situation with 61.5, there's an FYI channel on Tp23.

Dish 1000+ will have weakest signals on 118.7 and 129.

OK, thanks for the info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)