should I change the LNB’s and where do I go from here?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Hello,
Ok I now have a 10’ Unimesh Satellite Dish with a Von Weise Actuator and is set up for C-Band. A 10’ Jeneil Satellite Dish with a 24" stroke length 24v Heavy Duty Actuator for use with C Band or KU Band C/KU Band.

I also have an extra Heavy Duty Actuator and a Standard Actuator. I have two poles already set in and waiting for when I put the dishes on them.

What I’m wondering is should I change the LNB’s to accept C-Band/KU-Band and Circular C-Band for each dish. Do I need to get an FTA Box that was recommended to me from Dish sales outfit on the Internet? Do I need to get a HDTV Satellite Receiver for each dish or is it possible to split the signal coming from each dish to the receiver? What else do I need to complete my setup please?

Thank you,
Tom

:)

voomvoom

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
May 18, 2004
Lizella, Georgia Republic
Tom, it's hard to tell you what you need, cause there are so many ways to achieve success? For instance, lnb's are made to be operated with servo motors, or they are made to be voltage controlled. So, the kind you use might depend on the kind of receiver you get, or the receiver you get might depend on what kind of lnb's you have? Most DVB receivers won't control a servo motor, usually you want these type lnb's if you have an old analog receiver to control them with, and you use the analog receiver to move the dish? Also, a DVB recever won't move an actuator, unless you get a V-Box type positioner to convert the actuator pulses to 1.2 diseqc commands. I for one don't know what to tell you, there's too many different ways you can go? And the truth about receivers, is there is no "1" receiver that will do it all, no matter how you look at it, you're going to wind up with multiple receivers, most likely...??
But, you use switches to get the 2 dishes to one DVB receiver, or an A/B switch for an analog receiver. And speaking of switches, there are different kinds of switches, so it's not easy to recommend it either? Probably when you order a DVB receiver, they will throw in a diseqc switch, it should do for a start. Later you can decide if you want to use other types of switches?
I would only have one dish with a wideband scaler ring for circular C-Band, if you are going to go with servo type lnb's. They have more affordable C/ku combo lnbf's (voltage controlled), if you choose to go that route? I'm not going to go there, you will have to decide for yourself which route you take... Good Luck!
Edit: and the C/ku lnbf's have a piece of teflon (I think) that you slip into the throat of the lnbf to get circular C-Band with. Either way, when you go for circular C-Band, it will lower the performance for the un-circular C-Band signals (again I think)..????

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
it's hard to tell you what you need, and also trying to Understand

Tom, it's hard to tell you what you need, cause there are so many ways to achieve success? For instance, lnb's are made to be operated with servo motors, or they are made to be voltage controlled. So, the kind you use might depend on the kind of receiver you get, or the receiver you get might depend on what kind of lnb's you have?

A
L trying to understand what you're saying here. Read it twice just to have it sink in! lol Ok so you are saying that the LNB and the receivers have to match and be able to work together to properly work. Like a PC computer reading Microsoft software? Well since at this point in time I do not have in my possession any receiver for the Unimesh or the Jeneil. I will have to work with the LNB's that I already have. You also saying too, "
I wouldn't change anything, if I didn't have to. First see how well your lnb's perform, then think about changing......???". I know the Unimesh has a Chaparel II C-Band LNB. The Jeneil, I don't know the make of the LNB till I take off the feedhorn cover so I can see the make of the LNB. I do know that it has two wires going into it. So I'm taking that means one for C-Band and one for KU-Band? I'll try to take off the cover to it today to see what type of LNB I have in it. When I got it their were several Wasp nests attached to the dish.

Most DVB receivers won't control a servo motor, usually you want these type lnb's if you have an old analog receiver to control them with, and you use the analog receiver to move the dish? Also, a DVB recever won't move an actuator, unless you get a V-Box type positioner to convert the actuator pulses to 1.2 diseqc commands. I for one don't know what to tell you, there's too many different ways you can go?
I don't have any receivers, old or new. I don't have what you call a V-Box either.

And the truth about receivers, is there is no "1" receiver that will do it all, no matter how you look at it, you're going to wind up with multiple receivers, most likely...??
But, you use switches to get the 2 dishes to one DVB receiver, or an A/B switch for an analog receiver. And speaking of switches, there are different kinds of switches, so it's not easy to recommend it either? Probably when you order a DVB receiver, they will throw in a diseqc switch, it should do for a start. Later you can decide if you want to use other types of switches?
OK, if I did put in a A/B switch or a diseqc switch would I also be able to see TV programs on the different TV's in the house, if one set was tune into a different satellite in the sky? I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here. Thats why I went with two Satellite Dishes is because say a person wants to see a program that may be on one Satellite while the other person is viewing another program from another Satellite in the sky. Would having one of those switches cancel out the purpose?

I would only have one dish with a wideband scaler ring for circular C-Band, if you are going to go with servo type lnb's. They have more affordable C/ku combo lnbf's (voltage controlled), if you choose to go that route? I'm not going to go there, you will have to decide for yourself which route you take... Good Luck!

I don't know what circular C-Band is! What is it? Can you please explain. You're also saying to get it for only one dish too. Reason being? Is it a Performance issue that you talk about below?

Edit: and the C/ku lnbf's have a piece of teflon (I think) that you slip into the throat of the lnbf to get circular C-Band with. Either way, when you go for circular C-Band, it will lower the performance for the un-circular C-Band signals (again I think)..????

Oh yeah.... I wouldn't change anything, if I didn't have to. First see how well your lnb's perform, then think about changing......???
[/quote]
I think I should get some kind of shopping list together so I can have everything I need and have it fall in place when I put the dishes up. Again I will be taking photo's of the new dish, LNB's today, so I can see the make. I looked at the actuator and couldn't find a name printed on it. I'll try to see in side the plastic cover for a name for it today also. I'll post the name on the other thread too.

Thank You,
Tom
:D

voomvoom

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
May 18, 2004
Tom, you mentioned Circular C-Band in your 3rd paragraph of your 1st post:
should I change the LNB’s to accept C-Band/KU-Band and Circular C-Band for each dish.
There are a couple of satellites out over the Atlantic that are Circular C-Band. I thought that was what you were thinking of?

voomvoom

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
May 18, 2004
Tom, there are so many ways to do this. Like I've said before, it's not easily explained, without writing a book. And I for one, don't want to write a book. It's all been explained before, somewhere in these Forums? It may not be easy to find, but it's there, somewhere? It would be easier for me if you had a direction for me to go by, but you don't? So, I'm going to assume you want to use your current lnb's, which is probably a good idea? And in my assumption that you have servo type lnb's and a feedhorn (on both dishes) with a servo motor to change the polarity of the lnb's. To use these lnb's, you are going to have to get an analog receiver to change the polarity of the lnb's. An analog receiver will also drive the actuator to move the dish. Or you can get a DVB receiver that will change the polarity for the servo type lnb's. There are only a couple (that I know of) that do this. Manhattan is one and some Pansats will (but some won't) and there may be another, but I can't think of any? Manhattan is the only one that has a model that will also drive an actuator. With a DVB receiver you will need a analog receiver to drive the actuator or a V-Box positioner to drive the actuator. As you can see, there are lots of ways you can go. If you're going to have multiple receivers in your house, you could use this diagram if you decide to use analog receivers to drive your dish:
Add a receiver
This is the method I use, with the exception that I use 1x4 high frequency splitters and 4x1 diseqc switches. But, I already had an existing C-Band system, before I got into DVB receivers and FTA. This may not be what you are looking for, until I know a certain direction you are heading, I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure the more I write, the more confused you may get, and I don't want to confuse you. I should stop here, until you show a direction? I would suggest you make one dish work with one receiver and the other dish for another receiver. Then start to integrate the 2 to work to gether along with other possible receivers through out the house? Like I have said before, I don't want to write a book, and a book is probably what you need at this point. So you can see the different ways you could do it, to decide which way would be best for you. I know this is tough on you, but I really don't know which direction to point you in? I don't want to get you going in a direction that won't be best for you. Good Luck Tom..!!!

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
Hey Tom,
Like stated above there is a lot of ways to do what you are wanting to do.
Here's how I have mine. You will end up with three receiver on your main tv.

1. analog receiver c and ku (you can use just the "c" part).
2. 4DTV receiver for your subscription programming and some in the clear DC-II stuff.
3. FTA DVB receiver of some sort. I like my pansat 9200 HD, also like fortec ultra but it does not do HD.

Starting with the feedhorn and lnb's .....I use a corotor II made by chaparall. It is super! Does a great job with minimal hassle.

I have a cheap DMS bsc-211 c-band lnb mounted on the feed horn (these are interchangeable).
I have an Eagle Aspen Ku lnb on the feedhorn. My feedhorn does both bands C and ku.

My Analog receiver (orb-7500) Us electronics is the same as a Uniden 350 I think.
A lot of these analog boxes are clones of major brands.

The analog box controls the polarity ( H and V) of the feedhorn's servo motor. It can only receive one polarity at a time.

I have each cable (one for C and one for KU) split with power passing splitters to each receiver.
Each receiver can power the lnb's throught the splitters.
I have a diseqc switch on the pansat that makes the single coax out of the pansat switchable to each appropriate splitter for c or ku when the receiver requests the proper signal.

Keep in mind that when I scan a satellite for tp's that the polarity is controlled by my analog receiver. This means when I scan Horizontal tp's that my analog remote has to be on a Horizontal channel . Same for vertical.

On analog when you flip channels each adjacent channel switches polarity. Channel 1 might be vertical where channel 2 will be horizontal. The analog receiver has led lights on the front that indicate where you are.

As far as splitting the signal for other tv's in the house from the same dish that is a bit limited.
Simply because the servo motor can only send one polarity at a time to the coax that is split to the other tv receivers if you choose to do that.

the other tv's can only receive vertical channels on either c or ku if the analog "master" receiver is on.

the way around this is a dual band Ortho mode feedhorn that has 4 lnb's on it. Two c and two Ku. Both polarities and both band will be received from a single dish at the same time.

You would run four coaxes into a multi switch that each receiver could choose depending on the band and polarity each receiver wanted.

You are still limited to one satellite at a time.

I simply just have two systems set up here. Two dishes and two sets of receivers.
I know that is overkill for most but that's how I do it.

My earliest and first system was a 76 cm ku dish with a single output lnb. I split it and ran to other tv's in the house with receivers.
I was limited to making sure all the receivers were on the same polarity. otherwise Horizontal over rode the Vertical with a voltage swtiched lnb because V=13v and H=18V .....18V wins. It was a ghetto system but worked. I could watch seperate vertical channels on G10R ku Equity stuff at the same time.

You will later figure out the cominations that work for what you want to view in each room that is compatible with same polarity and satellite position.

Good luck.

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Thank You Al it does seem like writting a book and thank you too Truckracer. Both of you have given me a whole lot of information and right now it's sinking in. I put up some pictures of both the feedhorns and they look to me and was also told by Steve/Chefwan that they are only C/Band. I think while both dishes are at "Ground Level" and before I bring them up to those tall poles I should get C/KU-Band, and was told to get "Circular C" What ever that is?? But I figure do it now and get over it. I want to run several TV's four tv's off of these dishes. Although it may be only 2 running at a time. I want to be able to switch satellites without it effecting other TV's in the house. Thats why I put (Or trying to put up!!) two dishes. So I know it will require more then 2 receivers or maybe more. I'm no exspert at this now, but I'm a quick learner. I know you guys have the knowledge to set me straigh towards success. I can't wait till there up! Right now I have the mount in the bodyshop being sandblasted to get rid of years of surface rust. In the meantime I'm learning here.

Thanks again AL and Truckracer for your help. I'm going to follow your directions like it was the Bible for BUDS!

Thanks,
Tom
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fortec mercury II help

Need some advice on PCI Sat tuner card

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts