Should I get 4K Joeys instead of 2.0's?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hello all,
First off thanks for all the help and the advice over all the years. So I have an install scheduled for Saturday with a Hopper 3 and 3 Joey 2.0's I believe. I don't currently have any 4K TV's yet. I was just wondering if the speed and processing power difference is enough between the 4K Joeys and the 2.0 Joeys to make it worth just getting the 4k Joeys off the bat instead. Also how is the size footprint between the two. I can't find a picture of the 2.0's but have seen the 4K Joeys and it looks super small, flat and light.
Thanks!

Just installed yesterday 1 Hopper 3 & 3 4K joeys. Maybe overkill but hey to each his own. I upgraded from 2 Hopper 2's & 2 Joey 1.0.
I wanted PIP on all Tv's which the 4K joey's are supposed to do. Not yet on Pip on 4K joeys. Maybe a future software update?
I have no experience with joey 2.0 as to size or speed.
As to 4K joey tiny is the word. Thin, sleek & wall mountable if you desire. 4K joey is lightning fast. To be honest i cannot tell the difference
between tv with 4K joey or tv with Hopper 3. To me I am very satisfied so far with 4K joey.

Yeah, again everyone thanks for the insight. I finally made a decision and decided to go with 3 4K Joeys with my Hopper 3. I called and changed the order yesterday. I have a sort of man cave in my garage that has the three TV's. I watch sports out there on the weekends and evenings. So I decided for the speed and the eventual PIP function it was worth it. ALSO, I plan on telling the tech that I want boxes sent to the house to return old equipment so I can keep all my remotes. I will have four additional 40 remotes which will be handy. So what is the official word on the remotes returns or lack there of? I am guess it's an issue of who wants someone's old remotes that hands have been all over. Also I get that they sell them for like $21.88 on Amazon but I bet they cost $2 to make haha.

You do not need to return the remotes. Keep them. If the tech wants to take them, simply say no and that should end the discussion. The 40.0 is the better remote IMO.

Shipping the old equipment back has been the standard practice.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think everyone gets too worked up over paying for equipment. There are some seriously frugal people on here.
I don't think it is equipment cost that bother people so much as the fact different people are given different prices. People want to feel treated fair. With cell phones for example if you want the new Iphone that cost $750 that is the price. I does not matter how long you have been a customer or if you have a single line with minimal data or you are part of plan that pays 100's a month for data, that new phone is going to cost you $750. The price for an equipment upgrade with TV service should not depend on your ability to haggle, luck of the draw playing CSR roulette, or threatening to take your business elsewhere. This is TV service not buying a car.

I think everyone gets too worked up over paying for equipment. There are some seriously frugal people on here.
I agree. I was one of those people and the more I thought about it I figured it was worth the extra $50 x 3 for a one off price. I figure if I am trying to go new and faster might as well go all the way. I also am a big fan of leasing the equipment from Dish. I get why people own and they like to install their own stuff but for me the lease has been awesome. I also have the protection plan until I can drop it and then do. Then just pick it up again when I need a tech visit. I have had issues in the past with a Joey and I called, and after I explained it wasn't a "just reset it to fix it issue" they sent me a new one out, sent the old one back and done deal. Easy enough. Anyways, just my two cents.

I don't think it is equipment cost that bother people so much as the fact different people are given different prices. People want to feel treated fair. With cell phones for example if you want the new Iphone that cost $750 that is the price. I does not matter how long you have been a customer or if you have a single line with minimal data or you are part of plan that pays 100's a month for data, that new phone is going to cost you $750. The price for an equipment upgrade with TV service should not depend on your ability to haggle, luck of the draw playing CSR roulette, or threatening to take your business elsewhere. This is TV service not buying a car.
I agree with this. Instead of the $0-$150 range, if Dish had come out and said $75 for the H3 upgrade, $50 for each 4K Joey, and $95 tech visit fee ($0 if you have the Protection Plan) for everyone, no exceptions, then there would probably be less complaints.

No, I take that back. The "long-term valued customers" would still complain about not being rewarded for being a "long-term valued customer".

Reactions: budda and Foxbat
No, I take that back. The "long-term valued customers" would still complain about not being rewarded for being a "long-term valued customer".

This is the honest truth. The longer they're a customer the more they complain.

There's nothing wrong with asking for some discounts once a year or so but no need to complain.

I just contacted Chat. My buddy was given 3 months free HBO. I was not even asked during the upgrade process. I asked if I could get the 3 months free. And I did. Glad I had the opportunity. I really think a person who pays there bills. Spends a lot. And has been loyal should get a spiff. Now and then. JMO

I just contacted Chat. My buddy was given 3 months free HBO. I was not even asked during the upgrade process. I asked if I could get the 3 months free. And I did. Glad I had the opportunity. I really think a person who pays there bills. Spends a lot. And has been loyal should get a spiff. Now and then. JMO

Nothing wrong with asking once in a while. It's the demanded tone of some I dislike.

I got my 128 GB iPhone 6 for free, while my gf who has no credit history had to pay the MSRP price over a 20 month period. Hers is the 16 or 32 gb one...

So I got my "4k" setup Sunday.. Started the adventure withe my 2 hopper v1 + 2 joey v1 setup (wrangled out of them to get me back after trying sucky u-verse) So for the 4th time in 12m my 2nd hopper dies. call support ask for super. but why?? Explain 8 hour chating, 3 week, 3 box nightmare the 1st this happened, sorry.. bam.. new hopper v1 shipped..

All good, but wait what is this "hopper 3" thou speaketh of?? Heck I didn't know there was a hopper 2? So call sales, support is sending me my 4th pos hopper 1, I don't want another referb boat anchor tell me about the "best box ever". Yada.. yada.. best ever.. mkay.. lets do it..

WWWAAAIIITTT.. 1 hopper 3 joeys? Hmmm.. I had to pry my 2 hopper, 2 joey setup out of your cold dead hands, I want the same setup! No need the 16 tuner hopper is far superior, well can I speak to a super to confirm my upgrade is not a downgrade, "super will tell you the same"

So I agree, ok that'll be

$95 install..

Oh no you didnt!! Since the only reason I'm even talking 2 you is your craptacular box keeps dying, if you need to send a tech to get your snit to work right, that's your problem..

$95 fee waived..

Ok 2 days on a Sunday, good start.. Okay hopper 3 check, joey?? Hmm 3 "joey 2's" Who dat? Whadda you mean my new "4K" setup is really a One 4K + 3/1080 setup?? Grrrr... No one asked how many 4K tv's I had, no mention of "joey 2" never heard the term until I see the tech installing them, so Mr. tech what's the diff 4K vs joey 2? I just assumed my "4K" setup was all 4K? Uhh.. I just work here, they won't even give me a hopper 3 yet so your ??? = duhhhh...

Ok, lets see my new "upgrade" ok hopper 3.. mehhh.. Seems "ok" if you ignore the the ui designer being on crack..

Ok.. Settings.. people like settings.. mmm.. no settings button.. not a good start..

Home Tab
Up
Left
Enter
Down
Down
Left
Enter

And thar she blows!!! 1 key press into 8 now there's an "upgrade"

Ok tabs, home tab, lets go to Netflix, it's just over the hill, only one tab to the left, so 1 key press?

Left.. nothing
Left.. I said NO!
Ok
Home tab
Up
Left
Enter
Right
Right
Right
Right
Right
Enter
Brilliant design, just brilliant...

Ok channel up/down you can't screw that up can you?
YES WE CAN!!!
Ok lets add channel up/down, and lets put in the "carpel tunnel" position and now lets do my FAVORITE jack-hole design move.. Lets take YEARS of muscle memory that had up/down in the 4-way nav button and make the up/down do NOTHING.. YES NOTHING..

[RANT]
UNASSIGNED TOP LEVEL REMOTE BUTTONS!!!!
At least you don't give a DOINK like DTV But what moron said lets make 12.5% (4/32) of the top level buttons NON-FUNCTIONAL AAARRRRRGGGGGGG.....[/RANT]

Ok "joey 2" NO PIP EVER..
Mini-guide NON-FUNCTIONAL (the bottom channel nav. bar)

Sales.. Not happy, no one ever said "joey 2" no one said 4K/1080, I want the all "4K" setup I thought I was agreeing to in exchange for my 2 year/autopay commit. Aurgue.. Counter.. rinse.. repeat..Ok joey 4K? No problem..

$50 fee..

PROBLEM. I want the "4K system" I thought we had agreed to, not the 4K/1080 system that was never mentioned, and in my best "people's court" voice if it was not mentioned then we had no "meeting of the minds" and thus no contract.. So I want my 4k or come get your snit..

$50 fee waived..

Well, how about we waive $50 and give u 1 4k joey? Well, ok.. 3 and I would be in the haggle hall of fame, 1 was my target.. Ok $50 waived.. no problem that'll just be..

$95 for the install..

PROBLEM.. Are you serious!!! Have you not figured out in the last `1/2 hour who your dealing with.. These are not fees you are looking for..

$95 waived..

to be continued...

So I got my "4k" setup Sunday.. Started the adventure withe my 2 hopper v1 + 2 joey v1 setup (wrangled out of them to get me back after trying sucky u-verse) So for the 4th time in 12m my 2nd hopper dies. call support ask for super. but why?? Explain 8 hour chating, 3 week, 3 box nightmare the 1st this happened, sorry.. bam.. new hopper v1 shipped..

All good, but wait what is this "hopper 3" thou speaketh of?? Heck I didn't know there was a hopper 2? So call sales, support is sending me my 4th pos hopper 1, I don't want another referb boat anchor tell me about the "best box ever". Yada.. yada.. best ever.. mkay.. lets do it..

WWWAAAIIITTT.. 1 hopper 3 joeys? Hmmm.. I had to pry my 2 hopper, 2 joey setup out of your cold dead hands, I want the same setup! No need the 16 tuner hopper is far superior, well can I speak to a super to confirm my upgrade is not a downgrade, "super will tell you the same"

$95 install..

Oh no you didnt!! Since the only reason I'm even talking 2 you is your craptacular box keeps dying, if you need to send a tech to get your snit to work right, that's your problem..

$95 fee waived..

Ok 2 days on a Sunday, good start.. Okay hopper 3 check, joey?? Hmm 3 "joey 2's" Who dat? Whadda you mean my new "4K" setup is really a One 4K + 3/1080 setup?? Grrrr... No one asked how many 4K tv's I had, no mention of "joey 2" never heard the term until I see the tech installing them, so Mr. tech what's the diff 4K vs joey 2? I just assumed my "4K" setup was all 4K? Uhh.. I just work here, they won't even give me a hopper 3 yet so your ??? = duhhhh...

Ok, lets see my new "upgrade" ok hopper 3.. mehhh.. Seems "ok" if you ignore the the ui designer being on crack..

Ok.. Settings.. people like settings.. mmm.. no settings button.. not a good start..

Home Tab
Up
Left
Enter
Down
Down
Left
Enter

Ok tabs, home tab, lets go to Netflix, it's just over the hill, only one tab to the left, so 1 key press?

Left.. nothing
Left.. I said NO!
Ok
Home tab
Up
Left
Enter
Right
Right
Right
Right
Right
Enter

YES WE CAN!!!
Ok lets add channel up/down, and lets put in the "carpel tunnel" position and now lets do my FAVORITE jack-hole design move.. Lets take YEARS of muscle memory that had up/down in the 4-way nav button and make the up/down do NOTHING.. YES NOTHING..

[RANT]
At least you don't give a DOINK like DTV But what moron said lets make 12.5% (4/32) of the top level buttons NON-FUNCTIONAL AAARRRRRGGGGGGG.....[/RANT]

Sales.. Not happy, no one ever said "joey 2" no one said 4K/1080, I want the all "4K" setup I thought I was agreeing to in exchange for my 2 year/autopay commit. Aurgue.. Counter.. rinse.. repeat..Ok joey 4K? No problem..

$50 fee..

PROBLEM. I want the "4K system" I thought we had agreed to, not the 4K/1080 system that was never mentioned, and in my best "people's court" voice if it was not mentioned then we had no "meeting of the minds" and thus no contract.. So I want my 4k or come get your snit..

$50 fee waived..

Well, how about we waive $50 and give u 1 4k joey? Well, ok.. 3 and I would be in the haggle hall of fame, 1 was my target.. Ok $50 waived.. no problem that'll just be..

$95 for the install..

PROBLEM.. Are you serious!!! Have you not figured out in the last `1/2 hour who your dealing with.. These are not fees you are looking for..

$95 waived..

to be continued...
Congratulations, you found somewhere to rant. Too bad you didn't invest the time up front to know what you were getting.

$95 install..

$95 fee waived..

Home Tab
Up
Left
Enter
Down
Down
Left
Enter

Left.. nothing
Left.. I said NO!
Ok
Home tab
Up
Left
Enter
Right
Right
Right
Right
Right
Enter

YES WE CAN!!!

[RANT]

$50 fee..

$50 fee waived..

$95 for the install..

$95 waived..

to be continued...

WOW - you might be amazed what a bit of homework and a nicer attitude can get you.

Reactions: THE5RIVERS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)