should I get Voom Or wait a while longer?

djkid4

Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
I have 2 plasma tvs , 2 20" lcd tvs and a 30" lcd tv.

I would love to get it, but I am a little scared with the horror stories I have heard.

I have tiovs throughout my house.
One of the tivos is a pioneer DVD recorder 810H.

Please provide me with some info<Convince me> to get it.

thanks,

DJkid4

I would get Voom before their offer runs out. I think they are still having free installs and renting the receivers. Basic package is 29.95 and VaVaVoom package is 79.95. Receiver rentals are 9.50 per month.

djkid4 said:

I would love to get it, but I am a little scared with the horror stories I have heard.

Please provide me with some info<CONVINCE me> to get it.

thanks,

DJkid4
ID wait 5 HDTV's its gonna cost a fortuneeeeeeeeeee. Vooms rental policy is ridiculously expensive if those arent all HD sets. They need free SD recievers. ANd those tivos arent gonna work with voom hd.

jimmykce1 said:
I would get Voom before their offer runs out. I think they are still having free installs and renting the receivers. Basic package is 29.95 and VaVaVoom package is 79.95. Receiver rentals are 9.50 per month.

Basic package is 29.95?!?!? Are you sure? I am paying 39.95 plus the receiver rental for the basic package.

djkid4 said:

thanks,

DJkid4

You are not saying what you really want. If your primary interest is HD than I would get Voom asap. If you do a lot of timeshifting of SD programming (as your Tivos suggest) I wouldn't.

Get Voom immediately! OK, only on one set because of cost. You can terminate at any time, installation is free, and definitely rent the box for $10/month (obsolete way before break even).
HD BREATHTAKINGLY BLOWS AWAY ANYTHING NOT HD, even DVDs. It's like:
You own 5 Ferrari's, but have never driven over 50mph.
You have an awesome audio system but only listen to AM radio on it.
You've hired a gourmet cook but only asked to prepare meatloaf.
You have a beautiful lover always dressed in colorless, shabby rags.
My good friend, its about information delivery to your senses.
TV is 5 Megabits per second, HD is 30 MEGABITS per second.
What are you living for? Go for it!
Your only problem will be an inability for anyone to walk by your plasma or 30" LCD,
without stopping with jaws dropped!
I have a 23" LCD 16:9 with 1920x1200 resolution since it's also a computer monitor.
Full HD makes use of a max of 1280, which ALL your magnificent sets have the capability for, but have never been asked for. Unleash them!
Good luck, my friend.

I ordered only one STB to start with, but recently added three more STB's. I can't say enough good things -vs- only a few negitives. (not to mention they waived my 199.00 additional installation fee for the three boxes). I still have DTV just for the NFL Ticket.

djkid4 said:

thanks,

DJkid4

I have been one of those that are unhappy. If all you care about is a great HD picture get Voom.

If all the cable channels (HGTV, kids stuff, etc.) matter- stick with what you have. Voom has a lot of STB problems as well. I'd wait until the new DVR is out for a few months if I were you.

MitchB said:
HD BREATHTAKINGLY BLOWS AWAY ANYTHING NOT HD, even DVDs. It's like:
You own 5 Ferrari's, but have never driven over 50mph.
You have an awesome audio system but only listen to AM radio on it.
You've hired a gourmet cook but only asked to prepare meatloaf.
You have a beautiful lover always dressed in colorless, shabby rags.
You were married to Cindy Crawford but preferred Gerbils.

You put Catsup on Steak.

You paid $4,000 for an hour in the Champagne Room but you're gay.

I timeshift HD downrezzed to SD on my Panny E85 all the time and the PQ is really good. I did not see mentioned above that each box beyond the first also cost another $5/month EACH! OUCH! There's a thread here somewhere that someone calculated the resulting cost of having up to 6 receivers. I have 2 receivers and just the rental fee monthly is $24. Add $14.50/box/month and it escalates rather quickly.

Yep... 5 Voom boxes is gonna cost you ~ $107 with the basic package and ~ $147 with the Va-va-voom package if you lease the boxes... if you buy them then you can knock off $47 per month but then you got to pay $1200+ for the STB's and probably some install fees for more than the standard free install and there will be no more Tivo at present with Voom.

Of course with 2 plasma's and 3 LCD's the cost factor might not be an issue.

If you have 5 HDTV's, is money really an issue?

HD programming is good, customer service is a joke. There is your tradeoff.

Quote:

If you have 5 HDTV's, is money really an issue?

HD programming is good, customer service is a joke. There is your tradeoff
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well....I saved for those so I am hurting right now for money.

I was thinking about getting one for 1 for one of the Plasmas, just to test it out. I am just Tired Of Time Warner's SO CALLED High Def.!!!!

Thanks for all the input guys.....

I guess I'll try it and hope I do have a "horror instalation" like the ones I have heard about....

You mean you hope you don't have a "horror installation".

Saying the HD programming is "good" is of course a matter of opinion. IMO it's more like "fair"... just like IMO E* and D* (both being about the same) is really only fair as far as the programming goes. V* is very repetitious and showing older 1 and 1.5 star movies from the 60's and 70's upconverted is not the greatest looking HD. At first we sort of enjoyed some of the programming but then found ourselves seeing all the repeats and it got old within a few weeks. Plus there's only about 3 of their exclusive channels that we as a family cared much about and again... it wasn't long before they got repetitive. Probably the good side of it is that they do offer more of the premium movie channels in HD. Another good thing is it won't cost you but the rental and programming charges to at least try it out and then you can decide for yourself. Fortunately there is no commitment.

You should wait, VOOM is nothing but over hyped. In a year or 2 you should consider them. What is the point having so much HD programming if most of it is garbage?

Stunt_101 said:
You should wait, VOOM is nothing but over hyped. In a year or 2 you should consider them. What is the point having so much HD programming if most of it is garbage?

One man's garbage is another man's gold. If I thought this way, HDnet movies would be considered garbage as well.

Whoa, Stunt...

Stunt_101 said:

Last post I read from you, you didn't have VOOM. Did you sign up?

I prefer the programming on VOOM. It's a different approach, and the originals do have some older movies (which I enjoy seeing for the first time in HD), and there are a lot of repeats. But three months in I can still find something worth my time every night. I couldn't do that with Dish or Direct.

To each his (or her) own.

I dont think the movies on voom are garbage myself. I just think they need to reduce the number of channels they run them on to 5 channels. Outside of cinema10 the frequent rerunning of programming due to the excessive number of channels starving all of the channels for bandwidth contributes to people calling it garbage. And Voom is doing this to themselves. Unfortunately, Voom is more concerned with the number 37 channels than raising their average mbps to say 14 mbps and bragging about picture quality. Sure would be nice to have that and say 12 voom exclusives that dont repeat as much, rather than 37 channels at 12 mbps at low power and PQ problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)