Should I remove my Videocipher board on my 922 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cameron12

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Missouri
I think I have read here before that we no longer need a VCll board in our receiver
Is this true ?
Thanks for any info..

Absolutely!
I have a 922 mainboard here from another member for some of the spare parts. It was ruined by a leaking VCII module battery, destroying the functionality of the 922.

Get out your #2 Phillips & remove that module today. Its only 4 little screws & 2 levers to pull it.

Get out your #2 Phillips & remove that module today. Its only 4 little screws & 2 levers to pull it.

It's a little more than that for some of us, lol. But you're right, it needs to be done. You should see what I'm gonna have to go through to get the 922 in a position to allow the VCII module to come out the back. I'm just gonna have to break down & do it anyway.

Cheers

We weren't sure what the connections did. They appeared to loop back to the board. As I recall, the wires were connected together and the plug put back-in, if the attached picture is what you are referring-to. Not sure we had-to, but better safe than sorry.

Attachments

• DSC06951.JPG
    DSC06951.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 218
I guess I'm the odd man here then cuz when I replaced the battery in my 920 I also replaced the one in my VCII module at the same time. :D Probably pull it out though since there's no need for it anymore.;)

VCII removal?

This is your DSR-922 mainboard.

This is your 922 mainboard on lithium battery leakage.

Any questions?:eek:

Attachments

• 922LeakyBattDmg 001.jpg
    922LeakyBattDmg 001.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 922LeakyBattDmg 002.jpg
    922LeakyBattDmg 002.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 922LeakyBattDmg 003.jpg
    922LeakyBattDmg 003.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 239
We weren't sure what the connections did. They appeared to loop back to the board. As I recall, the wires were connected together and the plug put back-in, if the attached picture is what you are referring-to. Not sure we had-to, but better safe than sorry.

I am referring to the cage that is holding the VCII from watching the video on the link on changing the battery, I think it would be the connection that would also connect the VCII when it was in the cage. The video shows the guy lifting up the cage and I can see wire attached but it ended soon after that.

Thanks,

Candid

Hey Candid,

I have removed the VCII module from three 922 receivers. I also removed the cage and the three wiring plugs off the mother board. The 922 runs much cooler with no side effects. Hope this helps.

Stoker

So we don't need the VCII module? Because I bought my set up in 1992 & have never replaced the battery. I hope my board's not on lithium.

Make sure you properly dispose of the VCRS module. :)

Make sure you properly dispose of the VCRS module. :)

922s have baseband out. You could always put that VCII in an external cage. That might get you an hour or two (now & then) of ESPN, ESPN 2, and The Weather Channel. I still have an old external cage in the pile, but the remote doesn't work anymore.

If you don't already have the external cage, it definitely wouldn't be worth the effort. I'm not so sure it's worth the effort even if you do already have the stuff. LOL.

Cheers

So are you guys talking about the descrambler that we bought many years ago so we could watch HBO, etc.? If I remember right mine was in a black metal box reminded me of a vcr tape. When I upgraded from my Panasonic to the 4DTV 922 receiver I just pulled it out of Panasonic & pushed into the back of my 922. So is this what I need to get out of my 922?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts