Should I upgrade my Iphone 3g to 3GS?

Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of things I cannot stand about the iPhone, the fact that they are trendy is the top of my reasons to hate the iPhone list. The lack of a keyboard and the battery are also high on that list as well. At the same time, there are things that annoy me about the fuze as well.

I wish I can design my own phone with the hardware and software that I will use, like I do with all of my desktops

If Apple would upgrade the display and camera to today's standards, include a micro SD slot, include a slide out keyboard, allow you to swap the battery, and stop the stupid certification crap of apps, they would have quite simply the best phone on the market!

I was going to upgrade... but now I think I am going to hold off.

For me to upgrade to the 32GB version it will cost me $499.

While I am willing to spend the money what do I really get for $500?

I have decided to hold off and load the new 3.0 software and see how I like that. The 3.0 software update is free and it gives you all the features of the new phone except for the video camera, compass and faster net speeds. To me the new battery life really isn't that impressive and I already have a Mophie battery pack so battery life is not an issue for me.

I would like the faster internet and the 7.2 mbps sounds great, but honestly AT&T can't support the current 3G model and speeds.

The faster processor would be nice but again my current iPhone works fine.

If I want video I can load Cycorder on my phone and have video now. The new camera is a disapointment to me as its only a 3 megapixel camera, I was hoping for at least a 5 mexapixel unit.

For voice dialing (a feature which should be in the 3.0 software and not the new iPhone) there are a number of free apps in the app store which allow you to do voice dialing.

So I will sit it out and try the new iPhone after it comes out and see if the speed and features are worth $500 and a new 2 year commitment.

As I said I will give the new 3.0 software a spin first and see how that works and then after the new phone comes out I will go to the apple store and work with the new phone to see if its worth spending the money on.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Scott.

Current iPhone is supposed to do 3.6Mbps or something and I don't think I've ever seen half that...

AT&T really dropped the ball. Word is that they have to manually switch all current iPhone users to MMS. How asinine is that?!?

This kinda sounds like an anti-iphone thread, which is fine. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

I ordered my 32 Gb 3GS last night to replace my original 2G iPhone, and I'm very excited!

Seriously, maybe some of you should look at the Pre, the OS sounds pretty sweet. I hope the Pre makes it... The competition will make all smartphones better!

AT&T really dropped the ball. Word is that they have to manually switch all current iPhone users to MMS. How asinine is that?!?
Couldn't they write a script that could change all the iphone flags in one step?

Damn ... if customer has iphone then turn MMS block flag off...

How simple.

This kinda sounds like an anti-iphone thread, which is fine. If it's not for you, it's not for you.
Not an anti iPhone thread. I love my iPhone.

But again what are you getting that the current iPhone does not do? A compass and a faster processor (where no specs are known)

Everything else that the iPhone 3GS can do the old 3G can do as well with the proper software including video.

Now I am not ruling out getting one but I am holding off until I can go and hold one in my hand and compare the two side by side to see if the differences are worth shelling out $500 for.

I do have a feeling that there are a few features in the new iPhone that have not been advertised yet. Rumor has it that the new chipset has a FM tuner and FM transmitter built in. It would not surprise me to see then turn those features on somewhere down the road. The reason for not advertising them now is they rushed this one oout and didn't have time to complete the software for these features.

Not an anti iPhone thread. I love my iPhone.

But again what are you getting that the current iPhone does not do? A compass and a faster processor (where no specs are known)

Everything else that the iPhone 3GS can do the old 3G can do as well with the proper software including video.

Now I am not ruling out getting one but I am holding off until I can go and hold one in my hand and compare the two side by side to see if the differences are worth shelling out $500 for.

I do have a feeling that there are a few features in the new iPhone that have not been advertised yet. Rumor has it that the new chipset has a FM tuner and FM transmitter built in. It would not surprise me to see then turn those features on somewhere down the road. The reason for not advertising them now is they rushed this one oout and didn't have time to complete the software for these features.

It's a good upgrade for me, because I still have a 2G and I am getting the "good" pricing. I was in your same boat one year ago when the 3G came out... It wasn't worth it for me at that time. For me, the time is right.

That was another thing that held me back, by buying the new phone (at full price) I was extending my contract for another 2 years.

At least if I am extending my contract give me a break on the phone.. I am not saying charge me the $299 for the 32GB, but make it reasonable.

There are improvements. AT&T is increasing coverage. One place I frequent previously had no 3G and poor Edge. Now it has 3G. Not great 3G, but at least usable.

Ahh yes, from an origional ipone this would be something to upgrade to. :)

No doubt there! :D

I'm still have the original iPhone and I'm still on the fence about upgrading.:D I wouldn't have a problem if I could keep my $20 data plan, but the thing that I most want is the stereo bluetooth so I can sync it with my car stereo and keep it cable free. The original iPhone doesn't have the chip like the 3G currently has which will be "switched on" with the 3.0 software. Decisions, decisions....

They're a three main reason to upgrade I did

1 This sucker is fast and respond quickly that is the main reason I upgraded plus ATT did hear the complaints and will allow current users to upgrade to 32gb for $499. PLUS THE CPU HAS MORE MEMORY NO MORE CRASHES OR FREEZES YEA!!!

2 The new IPHONE has a dedicated graphic chip thus the video is better along with better 3d graphics. The picture taken with this unit is 100% better than the old IPHONE and the video is the same as a standard stand alone sd camcorder.

3 The screen is smudge proof no more finger prints yeah

To me the main reason I upgraded is the CPU which means a more stable IPHONE.

PS This is the same CPU as the PALM PRE which means that if apple wanted the new IPHONE can multi task at the moment this not programmed in.

The new IPHONE has a compass and I cant see a reason for it.

That was another thing that held me back, by buying the new phone (at full price) I was extending my contract for another 2 years.

At least if I am extending my contract give me a break on the phone.. I am not saying charge me the $299 for the 32GB, but make it reasonable.

Scott it is not full price--full price is $699. If you pay that then your contract will not change. If a new customer pays $699 he can have the IPHONE with no contract.

They're a three main reason to upgrade I did

1 This sucker is fast and respond quickly that is the main reason I upgraded plus ATT did hear the complaints and will allow current users to upgrade to 32gb for $499. PLUS THE CPU HAS MORE MEMORY NO MORE CRASHES OR FREEZES YEA!!!

2 The new IPHONE has a dedicated graphic chip thus the video is better along with better 3d graphics. The picture taken with this unit is 100% better than the old IPHONE and the video is the same as a standard stand alone sd camcorder.

3 The screen is smudge proof no more finger prints yeah

To me the main reason I upgraded is the CPU which means a more stable IPHONE.

PS This is the same CPU as the PALM PRE which means that if apple wanted the new IPHONE can multi task at the moment this not programmed in.

The new IPHONE has a compass and I cant see a reason for it.

You realize most of us use screen protectors right?
That wouldn't really make a difference unless the screen protector is also smudge free.

I still want to wait until the iPhone moves to other carriers. It seems to me that the prices will have to be more competitive and I've heard that with AT&T you have to keep the unlimited data plan turned on forever, which sounds ridiculous. What if you're strapped for cash and want to downgrade for a while...you have to go out and downgrade your phone too!

I'll probably upgrade around October when I'm ready to buy a Macbook Pro (now that they have SD cards installed). $499 isn't horrible, anything above that I might hold off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts