Should I upgrade my Iphone 3g to 3GS?

This kinda sounds like an anti-iphone thread, which is fine. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

I ordered my 32 Gb 3GS last night to replace my original 2G iPhone, and I'm very excited!

Seriously, maybe some of you should look at the Pre, the OS sounds pretty sweet. I hope the Pre makes it... The competition will make all smartphones better!

As a person lurking, I agree, very anti-iphone. Not you Scott.
In any case, as a non-smart phone person having been with sprint for years, I also, have finally made the decision to give up my reliable sprint service and go with the 32gb 3GS. I've pre-ordered it this past Tuesday.

I bought a 1st gen ipod touch to play with a little over a month ago for the apps and to get used to it and make sure I would be an iphone person. I love it. So besides having to go to AT&T, nothing out there can even CLOSELY rival the app store. I'm sorry, but nothing can and I'm sorry for those of you who think there is.

For that reason alone, I cannot resist anymore :). If there was the limitless apps for the pre, blackberries (one of which I have for work), or all those HTCs, I would have to make more second guesses.

So from a total "PC Guy" here, Apple has won me over with this.

On another note, because this isn't a "Major" upgrade from the 3G is why I feel that at&t/apple isn't making it super easy for you 3G people to upgrade. So I can understand why some of you will wait, and that's exactly what they want....at least that's what it looks like to me.

I can't wait to get my hands on it and do some video recording and some good quality pictures and send to my friends and all. To be honest....I don't think I've been feeling like a kid waiting for christmas about anything for years. It's fun and I'm getting caught up in it.

Now if I only had the extra money to get my first Mac and see if it sucks me in lol.

I'm still have the original iPhone and I'm still on the fence about upgrading.:D I wouldn't have a problem if I could keep my $20 data plan, but the thing that I most want is the stereo bluetooth so I can sync it with my car stereo and keep it cable free. The original iPhone doesn't have the chip like the 3G currently has which will be "switched on" with the 3.0 software. Decisions, decisions....

Hey, just so I'm clear, what will be "switched on" with 3.0? Stereo Bluetooth?
I've heard nothing about this...so if this is the case.....well...WOW.
Now I'm even super happier!

Edit: Wow wow wow, they are enabling after a quick google. Man, I'm so glad I read this thread to find that out, I hadn't heard about it. The iphone is one cool device.

This kinda sounds like an anti-iphone thread, which is fine. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

I ordered my 32 Gb 3GS last night to replace my original 2G iPhone, and I'm very excited!

Seriously, maybe some of you should look at the Pre, the OS sounds pretty sweet. I hope the Pre makes it... The competition will make all smartphones better!

I'm definitely not bashing the iPhone. I'm a proud owner of two 2G and two 3G iPhones!

1. I'm bitter at ATT sucking
2. Just don't think the new iPhone is worth it unless you can get it for $199 (no upgrade charge)

The upgrades in general are great... but lackluster. It kinda makes me happy so I don't kick myself too hard to upgrade... yet again. I'd imagine the next phone will have to have a better screen and HD. I'll wait... probably... maybe.

..... So besides having to go to AT&T, nothing out there can even CLOSELY rival the app store. I'm sorry, but nothing can and I'm sorry for those of you who think there is.

For that reason alone, I cannot resist anymore :). If there was the limitless apps for the pre, blackberries (one of which I have for work), or all those HTCs, I would have to make more second guesses.

So from a total "PC Guy" here, Apple has won me over with this.

On another note, because this isn't a "Major" upgrade from the 3G is why I feel that at&t/apple isn't making it super easy for you 3G people to upgrade. So I can understand why some of you will wait, and that's exactly what they want....at least that's what it looks like to me.....

I agree. Those that don't - well, maybe they also steam their crabs & shrimp instead of boiling them! ;)

Yes, AT&T 3G needs work. And they ARE working on it. I've seen improvements over the last few months.

Yes, I grew up in NOLA!

I bought a refurb 16gb iPhone for $249 last Saturday with a new AT&T 2 year contract, then on Monday they announce the new phones and price drops. I'm assuming I can return that phone because I'm within the 30 day return policy and pick up abrand new 16gb 3Gs for $199 and actually get $50 back, is that right?? Thanks for the advice.

I bought a refurb 16gb iPhone for $249 last Saturday with a new AT&T 2 year contract, then on Monday they announce the new phones and price drops. I'm assuming I can return that phone because I'm within the 30 day return policy and pick up abrand new 16gb 3Gs for $199 and actually get $50 back, is that right?? Thanks for the advice.

I would think so but I am not sure on the policy regarding refurb phones.

Not I. Too recent a convert to iPhone. Maybe when my contract is up. Of course, there may be yet another model out then.

Who here is planning on upgrading from the 3G to 3G-S?

Me! Should be here tomorrow (shipped direct from Apple). Sold my old 8GB on ebay for $350 (jailbroken). 16GB 3GS for $399 so in reality its a $50 upgrade and I'm ok with that. Its worth it just for the better camera and voice dialing for me.

Yes I upgraded

Why? The 256Meg real memory, instead of 128.

I have too many jailbroken apps causing low memory conditions forcing me to reboot my phone every 2-3 days.

And 32g is great to load more of my mp3 collection and more video.

And, finally, my work pays for the upgrade :D:D

;)

Hey guys, question, for example, lets say I have 1 year left in my contract and that I can still upgrade (paying for the phone all over again) does the new contract of 2 years add to the year left?
So that be 3 years left?

Who here is planning on upgrading from the 3G to 3G-S?

I am still undecided, but I am leaning towards the no for now.

Who knows what apple might come out with.
Few months ago Endgadget was talking about the IPHONE 3G HD + OLED screen and that good stuff, if something like that comes out within 1 year...then it be def worth waiting for it, and I am sure by then there will be a much better processor and video chip.

Hey guys, question, for example, lets say I have 1 year left in my contract and that I can still upgrade (paying for the phone all over again) does the new contract of 2 years add to the year left?
So that be 3 years left?

I don't think so. I think it's just 2 years. But I don't know this. Havta ask AT&T.

I see, I barely use the 8gb lol not even half used. But if I can get 2 years instead of 3 I might do it.

After sitting in line with no new phone today we've decided to see if the 3.0 OS fixes the stability issues we've seen (phone crashes, dropped calls, etc) before upgrading.

The line at the Apple store was a joke today. Lets let 10 people in at a time every 30 min. :rolleyes:

I love the pics of the people waiting outside for Black Friday and the launch of cell phones...funny as hell. I hate going to the cell store when there's no one in line...they always try to sell you something else...feed you line of crap that doesn't even make sense...then when you ask them a question they just give you a blank stare and repeat the question back to you as they figure out some BS to feed you. I'll take it in a brown box with a UPS label on it at my doorstep!

Overall sounds like as far as bandwidth goes no real big improvement on the 3GS. Sounds like the telcos have really run into limit issues. Will be a year or so before the get on some new stuff before you see improvements.

Sounds like AT&T reach some limits I would wait due to in the near future other telcos have taken the lead some on newer bandwidth impoverments. Until they get some of their new stuff up called LTE I dont see bandwidth being much better.Looks like WiMax and Clearwire as faster speed up to 8xs faster than IPhones 3GS. So I think we might see WiMax and Clearwire devices in the future and these guys it seems already have a head start. Just my 2 cents.

Giz Explains: What AT&T's 7.2Mbps Network Really Means.

Read this kind of explains some what I'm taking about.

Gizmodo - Giz Explains: What AT&T's 7.2Mbps Network Really Means - At&t

Both Verizon and AT&T are within a couple of years of deploying LTE in their networks, and WiMax is already out there in some cities. Our own WiMax tests on Clearwire's network peaked at an astounding 12Mbps—nearly eight times faster than the iPhone 3GS on AT&T.

And even if WiMax is shaping up to be more of a general broadband protocol than a cellular one, this is the kind of thing that'll be in your phones in a few years, and the promises are mind-boggling: earlier this year, Verizon's LTE were breaking 60Mbps.

The AT&T store asked for 499$ for the 16gb and 599$ for the 32gb lol. The apple store website for upgrade which was linked with att's website wanted 399$ for the 16gb and 499$ for the 32gb. It sounds like AT&T stores are trying to rip people off. Anyways I'd rather wait for the next iPhone, this doesn't seem like a huge upgrade for me from my 8gb 3g.

Got mine today. Had it shipped, not into the waiting in line thing! First impression is that it is FAST. Apps load a lot faster than they do on the 3G. The voice command seems great, doesn't work over bluetooth though. Still poking around a bit but so far I am very happy with it!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts