Shuttle launch tonite! (Scrubbed until Sunday)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's why I would never, ever buy a home with HOA restrictions. I know they have their purpose and many of you will disagree with me. But nobody is going to tell me what I can and cannot do on my own property, nobody.

Well, when we bought this home, I did not know there was any use in a BUD anymore. I did not forsee that I would ever need any dishes except the DirecTv dish, which must be permitted bu FCC regs.

If we had it to do over again, we would not have bought this house.

That's why I would never, ever buy a home with HOA restrictions. I know they have their purpose and many of you will disagree with me. But nobody is going to tell me what I can and cannot do on my own property, nobody.

+1,000,000 (if this forum had a points system ;) ) But you don't need a HOA, many municipalities are trying the same bull with so-called Muni Codes...

On the subject of the launch postponement, Sunday might give me time to get my C-Band dish up, even if propped against a wagon or some lawn furniture.

Angiodan, I was lucky enough to watch a night launch in 1985 with a VIP pass into the Cape. Unforgettable sight and sound :)

Yes that is an experience anyone who is even slightly interested in space and science should take in at least once. Nothing better than being there! You just don't get perspective on the power and energy involved when watching it on TV, you have to "feel" it in person.
C.

Yes that is an experience anyone who is even slightly interested in space and science should take in at least once. Nothing better than being there! You just don't get perspective on the power and energy involved when watching it on TV, you have to "feel" it in person.
C.

Boy is that the truth Cham.

I have lived in Fl, my whole life here, an even though here on the gulf coast still have gone over to see a launch, an to watch it on TV does it no justice "not even close". even have seen launches back when they shot up Saturn rockets back in the beginning days of our space program, an they looked like a big roman candle going up, they where more impressive back then, but today they go a lot faster up, like their last launch last week seemed to be moving much faster than any shuttle going up. an even though I live on the Gulf coast they are viewable in the day, an more so at night. but if any one ever get time or a chance to watch a launch, you will never forget it.

The hardest thing to explain (or capture with any recording technology) is the SOUND. It feels like the air itself is exploding, and it comes suddenly and unexpectedly. I still have the VHS tape I shot in 1985 somewhere. It came out very well, but I wish I had the HD equipment I have now. I'll have to go over to FL and shoot HD video of a launch someday :)

The hardest thing to explain (or capture with any recording technology) is the SOUND. It feels like the air itself is exploding, and it comes suddenly and unexpectedly.

I hear ya. I got to see the maiden flight of Endeavour back in 92. Aside from that initial shock wave that you hear and feel there was a persistent "crackling" sound. That is something I'll never forget. I'd like to see one more shuttle launch in person before the fleet is retired.

The next best thing to real launch in person is possibly the IMAX movie I saw a few years back, at the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville AL. A huge round dome of a building with the movie projected on the ceiling-my first IMAX movie experience, and when that thing took off>the only thing I could think of that might be any louder than that might be the inside of a tornado. I swear the concrete floor the seats bolted too was heaving and shaking!

i pitty all those people in fla each time they scrub a mission
traffic is backed up for hours
you all think dc traffic is bad or ny ;sit in it after the shuttle goes up ;it is bumper to bumper

The fueling is going well today. It looks like they might get this bird on its way.

External Tank Fueling Proceeding Smoothly

Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:49:17 AM MDT

Fueling of the external tank continues on schedule. The operation began with chill down at 10:20 a.m. EDT and the flow of liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen at 10:30. An hour into the three-hour process, both tanks are about 26 percent full. The "topping" mode of the liquid hydrogen section begins at about 12:35 p.m.

Launch coverage of the STS-119 mission is scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m.
NASA - Space Shuttle

This is not FTA related, but, since we are talking about the shuttle, I have a question that someone here may have the answer to.

On NASA channel, the tracking map on the wall makes it look like the shuttle is orbiting in a sine-wave like pattern. Is it really orbiting the way it looks, or does it look like that because the earth has been "flattened" out on the wall, and the shuttle is actually orbiting in a circular orbit?

It would seem that the orbit is not perfectly circular because the shuttle passes over different areas on each orbit, but, I have always wondered whats up with the orbit.

Thanks!

The Space Shuttle's orbit is close to being circular, eventual the space shuttle will dock with ISS so the orbits will be the same at that time.

For ISS the orbit is:

Perigee Height: 348 km (Closes to the earth)
Apogee Height: 361 km (Furthest away from the earth)

For a perfectly circular orbit these would be the same distance.

(Think about an ellipse with the major axis slightly large than the minor axis)

The reason for the sin wave like path on the flat map is because the space shuttle orbits the earth every 90 minutes and the earth below the shuttle is turning.
Take a look at this website as it might give you a better idea: ISS - Orbit Data

This is not FTA related, but, since we are talking about the shuttle, I have a question that someone here may have the answer to.

On NASA channel, the tracking map on the wall makes it look like the shuttle is orbiting in a sine-wave like pattern. Is it really orbiting the way it looks, or does it look like that because the earth has been "flattened" out on the wall, and the shuttle is actually orbiting in a circular orbit?

It would seem that the orbit is not perfectly circular because the shuttle passes over different areas on each orbit, but, I have always wondered whats up with the orbit.

Thanks!

More specifically, it's a 'wave' like that on the flat map because the orbit is inclined. If it were orbiting around the equator, then it would be a straight line for example

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts