sick of disputes

When you put it that way sure.
But what do you think I make off of a customer at the restaurant off a $20 steak?
Try $3-5 depending on market price for beef at the time.
And let's just say, If I don't like the price do you think I could just stop serving beef?
Absolutely not, Unless I want to lose customers.
There are times I had to go without profit on beef, Just because the prices were so bad.

That comes out of my pocket.

Difference is I don't have 13.5 million customers giving me $10 a month free and clear.

So when you are losing customers, and dropping services, that means now your not paying for these channels any longer, which means your spending less.

And now you are getting no money from 281,000 customers.

So one has to wonder.

And I don't want to hear how much it costs to add a customer, Because it doesn't cost anothing close to what a customer pays.
I paid $1800 this year with dish as a first year customer under a promo.
They made a lot more than $10.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

What does the average DISH customer spend per month? I would guess closer to $100 than $20. So, if you sold five steaks for $100, using your own figures you'd make more than $10. But, why use steak for an example? Why not use iced tea, or soda, or alcoholic beverage? I'll bet your profits are higher on beverages than on steaks.

Sorry, I don't think you can compare the beef to the boob tube.

Reactions: STDog
And yet, ESPN, which charges almost as much as the local stations (in a single market combined) ALSO relies on advertising.

And which has more viewers? The cable channels or the locals?

Again, LiL allowed sat subscriptions to EXPLODE. Take away all the local channels in a market and see what happens to subscriptions.

You know my thought is each is dependent. However you have made the case most people can get the channels OTA. Statistically because so many live in Urban areas may be true. But then doesn't that mean Satellite wouldn't lose many in those areas, people would use an antenna? I think the Networks have found a way to demand money or else. The else being we will pull the stations and Satellite has no recourse other than waiting it out or succumbing. Meanwhile those Networks are giving it away for free to most people my your estimation. And they have some protections such as must carry and ernest negotiations.
So now comparing to ESPN. They are probably overpriced but the point is they are only on Cable (Online with a provider subscription), so if DISH does not carry them people who really want it will go to another provider because they must. They don't need to that with the locals, they are free with an antenna. Thus the free antenna give away I think more to make a point than anything else.

What does the average DISH customer spend per month? I would guess closer to $100 than $20. So, if you sold five steaks for $100, using your own figures you'd make more than $10. But, why use steak for an example? Why not use iced tea, or soda, or alcoholic beverage? I'll bet your profits are higher on beverages than on steaks.

Sorry, I don't think you can compare the beef to the boob tube.
Because Soda and drinks would be like compared to Equipment fee.

Soda isn't a money maker by any means.
People pay $2 for what could be 4 or 5 refills.
Beer, $2.50 a bottle or $1.50 a mug.
That pays for my bartender to serve it.
I can make anywhere between $.50-1.50per bottle or glass depending on the beer and how much was sold that day on average.
That's after paying the staff on an average day.
Some drinks can be profitable. But most people don't buy more than one of those fancy drinks for the simple fact they have to drive home.
Beef is the biggest seller and makes the most money.
Then Wings are second, then Chicken in general.

Just like Dish networks Top 120 200 250 packs.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
So let me ask, what is your average net profit per customer?
My average Net income is around $275,000- $300,000.

I can't give a break down per customer but if I had to guess free and clear maybe $4 or $5 after staff taxes ,expenses are paid.
We get an average of 150 customers per night.
So between 50,000 and 75,000 customers a year.
Gross would be around $30 a person average.
We are open 360 days a year 11-15 hours a day depending on the day and how busy it is after midnight .

Could I make more? Yes if I don't want any days off, I can save another $40,000 a year .

I'm not making billions that's for sure.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

So you're making the net profits Dish made last year, maybe slight less per customer. As you grow and get better deals or more customer base, your net would likely go up, correct? If you find a cheaper meat distributor or can negotiate better deals with your current one on loyalty, you're net goes up. you're not making billions because you're likely one maybe two restaurants. Think Dish would be making billions if they were in 1 maybe two states? So you're pulling in $5 per customer after everything, and I'm sure your profit margin is greater as the bills are lower per person. So that all said, and I know you didn't make the original comment, but aren't you making an obscene profit in comparison? I mean $5 on an average maybe $35 bill per person is a lot higher than Dish $10 on a $90 per household.

So you're making the net profits Dish made last year, maybe slight less per customer. As you grow and get better deals or more customer base, your net would likely go up, correct? If you find a cheaper meat distributor or can negotiate better deals with your current one on loyalty, you're net goes up. you're not making billions because you're likely one maybe two restaurants. Think Dish would be making billions if they were in 1 maybe two states? So you're pulling in $5 per customer after everything, and I'm sure your profit margin is greater as the bills are lower per person. So that all said, and I know you didn't make the original comment, but aren't you making an obscene profit in comparison? I mean $5 on an average maybe $35 bill per person is a lot higher than Dish $10 on a $90 per household.
I don't think his AT packages are expensive or over priced .
I already said that.
But I think his Flex pack is over priced for what you get.

As far as Charlie's income, I can't say what his income is.
We know what the company brings in.
Does the company DISH make an average of $10 per customer?
I guess so, I don't know.
Out of 1.6 billion profit a year net Income thats around $10 a sub.

Okay so what's Charlie make per subscriber from that $10?

Never mind I found it.
6c6af4a5ac9fdc6b33cafc9accc3da7e.jpg

http://www1.salary.com/Charles-W-Ergen-Salary-Bonus-Stock-Options-for-DISH-NETWORK-CORP.html

Only difference is , That my total income from my business is my real total Income.

Not just what I decided to claim.

1.6 billion and Chuck got paid only 1 million from dish, HA HA HA that's funny.

I'm truly a small business owner, Charlie is not.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
I don't think his AT packages are expensive or over priced .
I already said that.
But I think his Flex pack is over priced for what you get.

As far as Charlie's income, I can't say what his income is.
We know what the company brings in.
Does the company DISH make an average of $10 per customer?
I guess so, I don't know.
Out of 1.6 billion profit a year net Income thats around $10 a sub.

Okay so what's Charlie make per subscriber from that $10?

Never mind I found it.
6c6af4a5ac9fdc6b33cafc9accc3da7e.jpg

http://www1.salary.com/Charles-W-Ergen-Salary-Bonus-Stock-Options-for-DISH-NETWORK-CORP.html

Only difference is , That my total income from my business is my real total Income.

Not just what I decided to claim.

1.6 billion and Chuck got paid only 1 million from dish, HA HA HA that's funny.

I'm truly a small business owner, Charlie is not.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Makes sense, actually. His billions are not only from Dish. His billions are from other ventures, and likely most of it is from Echostar, and his stock.

I am sure there are many here that will not agree with this opinion, and I know for a fact that the NAB and the broadcast firms will not. I could tell you the way to stop all of this local channel "X" being pulled bull$#it, the Congress should require the FCC to regulate the rate that broadcasters get for a station in a given market, the highest rated station gets the most, down to a statutory amount, unless they request must carry in which they would get paid nothing. That way there would be no negotiations and all providers would pay exactly the same thing for the locals in each market. I also think that since the FCC regulates the BSS band and cable that even cable networks should not be pulled when negotiations are ongoing and that after a certain period of time that both sides should be required to go into mandatory arbitration unless both sides decide to end negotiations for carriage. I know that many do not like regulation, but seems to me the "market based" approach has did absolutely nothing for consumers.

I know that many do not like regulation, but seems to me the "market based" approach has did absolutely nothing for consumers.
Absolutely. It was deregulation in 1996 in the first place that created this conglomeration monster we have now. Monopolies and oligopolies are never good for the consumer.

I am sure there are many here that will not agree with this opinion, and I know for a fact that the NAB and the broadcast firms will not. I could tell you the way to stop all of this local channel "X" being pulled bull$#it, the Congress should require the FCC to regulate the rate that broadcasters get for a station in a given market, the highest rated station gets the most, down to a statutory amount, unless they request must carry in which they would get paid nothing. That way there would be no negotiations and all providers would pay exactly the same thing for the locals in each market. I also think that since the FCC regulates the BSS band and cable that even cable networks should not be pulled when negotiations are ongoing and that after a certain period of time that both sides should be required to go into mandatory arbitration unless both sides decide to end negotiations for carriage. I know that many do not like regulation, but seems to me the "market based" approach has did absolutely nothing for consumers.
I think that's the biggest problem.
They claim it's regulated, but instead of letting Dish and the Networks regulate it it should be written in stone.

Government needs to step in and set a price that's realistically fair and that's what everyone is paying period.
But there should also be an option the allows people that don't want them to opt out across the board.
Not just in certain packs that the provider says is okay.

Neither side is trust worthy.
That's why I agree, there needs to be a set in stone law and rule that's everyone has to abide by.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

You know my thought is each is dependent. However you have made the case most people can get the channels OTA. Statistically because so many live in Urban areas may be true. But then doesn't that mean Satellite wouldn't lose many in those areas, people would use an antenna? I think the Networks have found a way to demand money or else. The else being we will pull the stations and Satellite has no recourse other than waiting it out or succumbing. Meanwhile those Networks are giving it away for free to most people my your estimation. And they have some protections such as must carry and ernest negotiations.
Yes, I feel most (not all) people can get the channels OTA. However, most of them want the convenience of having all their channels come through a single box. Granted, many are starting to learn how to use multiple boxes (ie: Netflix, Roku, PS4, etc), but we're not there yet.
So now comparing to ESPN. They are probably overpriced but the point is they are only on Cable (Online with a provider subscription), so if DISH does not carry them people who really want it will go to another provider because they must. They don't need to that with the locals, they are free with an antenna. Thus the free antenna give away I think more to make a point than anything else.
But isn't one argument (out of many, granted) against OTA retrans fees is because satellite helps get more viewers? ESPN gets ALL viewers via MVPDs. So shouldn't THEY be paying the MVPD?

I think that is one option. Another is for the FCC (someone) to set a rate per rating point. The higher a station's ratings, the more money they get. Granted, you'd need to take a year's average, but nothing that couldn't be worked out.

Absolutely, they have to pay for all of that. And they had to pay for all of that when they made the business decision to be a free broadcast station and dependent on ads for income. If that now is not the business model they want to use, then they are free to take down the antennas and become a cable type channel.

If they choose not to do that, then they should suffer the consequences of their business decision. Let's face it, other than the local news and weather, the broadcast model is bringing nothing more to the table than is a channel like USA. Yet these days they are charging more than most cable channels do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh, and didn't the MVPD decide to enter a business market that requires retransmission negotiations? How can you say "OTA chose that business model and has to live with it" without saying the same for MVPDs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)